• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fine with stock CBV, Stalls with HKS VTA

EivlEvo

Squad.

93 245+T 15G 15psi TLAO IPD cam 577cc/min injectors and 012 AMM.

From my other thread on the surging and injectors. I've sorted it. Bad AMM. I also chased down a handful of small vac leaks.

The latest issue was that (I had swapped an HKS SSQV onto the 15g) and the car would idle and drive completely fine, but when I would clutch in or cut throttle to idle (brakes or no brakes so not check valve) the car would not be able to catch itself, and it would stall.

I swapped the stock CBV back on, and everything seems fine.

Swapped HKS back on this time with the thinnest film of gasket sealer on the torque solutions adapter o ring and boost leak tested. No leaks. Rev it up... stalls.

The HKS isn't leaking and appears real with serial #s and all the authenticness I could find info for... what's up?

Does LH need to learn more or...?

I had issues like yours and I found that the IAC couldn't catch the idle quick enough... sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't.

Not implying this is your problem, but if you went through the basics, and it's still not working, try disconnecting the iac and see if it helps.

I swapped in a new IACV from my last problem to see what was what. But that's really what it seems is going on. I've tried it with both IACVs (both work, both do the same thing) also TPS'.

Mike I'll snap you some pics... that said, the valve isn't leaking that I'm able to detect in any capacity. Everything I've seen including the packaging AND the included parts seem to indicate it's genuine. But also... would it matter if it isn't leaking?

I really just think the VTA is messing with the car? Maybe I should let it learn on my recirc and THEN swap to the HKS?

VTA will leave a really rich moment after if blows off. Might want to see if it goes away if you recirc it. My MKIII Supra did that too. Had to tune it to get it right. Does the SSQV still use different color inserts to change the pitch of the blow off? I had the gold insert.

VTA will leave a really rich moment after if blows off. Might want to see if it goes away if you recirc it. My MKIII Supra did that too. Had to tune it to get it right. Does the SSQV still use different color inserts to change the pitch of the blow off? I had the gold insert.

I actually don't know if they still have the diff colors. I know you can remove the "whistly bits" and you can def swap in a nozzle to recirc it.

TLAO has an entire other thread with the raging debate about the VTA on stock LH. His assessment is that the recirc and the VTA are both giving the same rich moment. Based on my AFRs, I'd agree with this assessment. Maybe I'll just run the stocker while LH dials itself in and then swap over to the HKS...

Because the hks has a fun sound. And some of us have issues.

Pretty much this. I'm a man-child.

I always wanted to be part of the fast and furious crowd, but the car I had at the time with the budget I worked with wouldn't allow it. My Evo is too respectable to roll an HKS, plus... it makes REALLY good noises anyhow. The Volvo is so regular in traffic that I don't even think anyone notices the side exhaust. The HKS is a real neck snapper and the looks of disgust/confusion/bewilderment give me the chuckles.

But I can completely agree that it's stupid.

As the LH is learning this problem seems to be sorting itself out actually. We'll see how it ends up... and I'll still grab those snaps.

Pics.

It stalls if I clutch in normally. If I wait until it's below about 1500rpm and clutch in, it can catch itself.

Fc6X_QydEwkCUpj-bhRfUiPJ-5NOZ19HUmwASNIlz1nD_xJ_A-6SdvmNnE_Am_0pk4LkOGbz0SOVFnovxAMvb0H7tmfCCEYNItUQ6qpdvsIts0DGlBmoQh9z7pAtlL6rF__jDDLtsLjpfhhccQ0zRNv39FAZg7MR25TANeqEj2zj07gL4n9TQdo-8SI3lHxvweOz6psFpoMINpNSDlmZ2ddtOhYaBa7iaMftGYKodyDVZm4Q7Jz7l6bZjHosVfuNeSHmcY9m_eS12piOrHL4XfTA42cAa_gfn63kGdaTBX7a0EPft_e2-_KEIsYfxTBbZLVVTqo1xFHzUriuNw8NOicfGAmyveszF2dqf3BL54hmZTpHCRSc8J4CclorOoazAduH5jsnl_SQfCMDxlsSnEQ02ExeWNPdIrlNXkse6IuB2Lhces819YlFuXttDC2auVdP1hRHrb1pWNsOXrawqbFxpUesDUBu4_Q78SQAqZrE_wJ_XaKmU3Ub1ERV6ojIWajVS_EJy9sQFP3QlAl07c5cQ08J_25_bWxA_1_3n9RNpnp2af9xJSRL06t2zv4dFni-EdTyrcrrapVBlLGLpgEw8oufGE_H5J33MtI=w800-h600-no

6a9VVffATsOIwBbHJh3u-NiPSjj55ZpUG7B0ckwWF7TOhESKJhZQ0P4ajDQ-jDtSwtD0Fx9OIQVj7wxcPaetxbrbIBeVKA-pMesSQYXgLP3BeilwjGpDfp-z7jsn-SeUbzwK4Lix2YiMEyqu9aAPaf78exdJSq1desNQAOuF3ad4aEECxa1VQj6VmNXKN9vVYQMoJuQsgwqbRTffk7n6oU76ntm8qGhf62Y0St1gfpwPzq3qcAEsrtltmkomCUQu6vAL9b-bMvq0uBT50Vah2KvuVVcS92pp68OV4IU28USKehEHiTRQehnfm8D_hY-unlAYFvUnjcAiU6OvnxIW95g9uLuNBxzca7pajdqr6CnQ3ZKZXrzlxh3j6eW9yPnNkol4AMVlrWkL2DOwWtzb7jhJXEKwHohwFkohb-dWbQOzK71457KrMhacSlPu46p-ovMRki9mPj46RidBKVFF17Qctv7aRPy1AxwGoILLDxAz6r7iZTcWzdrdizjYVx-JBVhvullEaJe-nWr9OzS2e83CRQi2vulEe8Dr3wWmIw2_HekKX2Ugu_Vtjtut2OeTWlYUKFrDLLii1P3xY3VdSY0yw66zF2WHi6MWVGs=w779-h1038-no

oiDTPoyHTbM4YBjFJijg-hZ5mdY30wJ53PBPRIuKsX5OAOf-KTB9Go3C857MCipkcgXF-2AcmCTmFs_4lqsjBQ4_yFPY6ZmWf2crMH5puNmAOcHwrHWJW0lmFN9-y2OkikuYrCKrkLlAlrzKOtRL75EYVbAustRrYUXSI-aQMM02NUnv_0at291AIKmAvtaw1pe0oYRzCIBuLCJkTeOsSld-CbFhPB1Q6IhDjVI4WQjcVSB3K1DXnmeR9NSotplAF25sYuQKkdOwPQn8vgd56Ku7wjAlZSoK2uB-aqkTxrqKU4tch8Ebw_CzjSKSSy_0lXxW5qQ0VxPuhuN3h7ggh2woky_Yxouc_jQyAJE6b9HvpeVFNYnci5HvpK999Qt24JmOZOv__g_KRLxut5xDKxXxb5oLeXVSH3G3JzEtW9f2016InRDY_r2SLt22HKFn9ppVH0zV3t5lOzjluSKy7snpOp663TTEwC8vqY3VOsNXJME1RWyPQyFumLA4Jl5yPL-omLpuhSXxbR56D5eWalKdQE6NYu1yhtlVIGodbTqEDwhP0rpX37z191i7PBr_bSlRoMXuKEkWhPTB9WjOLd2UnjHK_6mmfQNRNCs=w779-h1038-no

TLAO has an entire other thread with the raging debate about the VTA on stock LH. His assessment is that the recirc and the VTA are both giving the same rich moment. Based on my AFRs, I'd agree with this assessment. Maybe I'll just run the stocker while LH dials itself in and then swap over to the HKS...

A CBV/Bypass will not cause a rich spike.

You can technically get a 2.4 car to not stall out using a bov, but that doesnt mean that LH works fine with it. It means you can get away with it on there, but it will still rich spike because there is missing metered air that the ECU has already calculated fuel for.

Squadriceps.

I seem to have solved this issue along with my other issue in maint where my car just all of the sudden went full pig rich (10.0 AFRs).

It was a clogged O2 sensor.

Car works a treat now.

Here's the "good" side.

yczyjC7uIpnLQy-rcqLfgltWeKPC0ncyyBoX4jtTvypyEJaIm3lnxqlZB4uWLQHMuk429HDae3X4Dtw8Md8uXOhvqCGahFwHFLR_74gPP4i_PcIvT2HlvL10t7FlPLuXa-blrkZhwjhQSlr-JDaByuwXyRWGAioPwldx22xwzKQcdYXLoYt-KkwdsQZ8VRPrimvHNO-pXTc-cmqavUp-7NOKeWw3YCWuvNdd75SSmiZk7kNPhBmyCO3S4jSy_dUDEdwRWovEZbYZ1VWNT-R3ei814nrHDxWOTN7LxyxH4soehIFUobddaC3_HsvevVv9lRcfV0Ol81syXgLYV1_hoKmLB1eLncpDtl1-dhyqyZ3W2hvj-n2tPKQ7nZN-CnF_NdMa5ictuWxWApgsV6WTD1iwASlgRlGAlGLz8dug8RJDzBtFfJCwlSUvllXjjlsbytpgYPFkr_5-jVb8cEBo6iXHOD4HZ__exSdy8pBvpnRijrj9TYyIV5bw7jjBDtgmFfqk3DwObVXVQ95PpNZdX7Lo0pnEzwtBlzMTdf8m2x_tn2MHufCcFmFjwrCcZ5XQrLp8qxjoypRt9kW2OMF4CQW7jtWGfQKXzAdYx8Q=w665-h885-no

Back