• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

anti freeze plugs b230 engine 2018-23 bump

Avtovaz

ive got a b230a engine, its just been rebuilt by someone, one of the things they asked for was 9 large core plugs. He has installed them incorectly, so i need to replace them all.

Is there 8 in teh block and he has used 1 to black off the dizzy drive in the back of the head, or is there a core plug behind the flywheel or something?

I just need to know if i need to take the engine out or not to fix it. its the dished type of plugs

thanks

thanks, so why did he have me buy 9 40mm dished plugs? Incase he messed one up?

So the motor does not need to come out then to get to it? thats really good.

thanks

That's entirely possible. They're easy to mess up.

Correct, the engine won't need to come out unless the intermediate shaft plug was also installed incorrectly.

if the intermediate shaft plug was installed wrong i think it wont fail, he has hit them in the middle with what looks like a 10mm punch type of thing, they must have expanded a little bit the car since the motor was rebuilt has driven about for 5 mins, and also was running in the garage for probably about an hour all in all. Water had got pressureised , but it was when it got super hot on the rollers today one popped. I dont think there is any such pressure on the one for the shaft, but will have a feel of it and see what its like. He maybe even machined a plug as he has for where the dizzy in the block sat.

thanks!

How much power does your engine make? Highly stressed engines have been know to flex enough to spit the freeze plugs. DeeWorks makes a retainer kit to hold them in if that's the case.

The dizzy hole in the block can be plugged with a cup type freeze plug from a later B230. The original shallow plug is NLA.

I use a deep socket to install the freeze plugs. This is what the look like from the factory. You don't want to knock the center in too far.

FreezePlugInstalled.jpg

well , the million pound question on the power, its b230a, 298 deg cam, 11.5 lift, 46-38 valves, ported 530, solid lifters, 11:1 compression, otherwise all new rings bearings etc, but with lh2.4 inlet using bmw m44b19 ecu. engine is in a e36 compact with a is200 6 speed. Power i dont know as yet, i cant change the inlet at all as that is part of the rules for the road rally class my car is in.

So its not highly stressed, so i dont think the after market retainers will be needed.

thanks for the pic that helps a lot, i ve just watched a vid, on youtube this one and the way he removes them looks like the way they have been installed!

thankyou very much for the help! really appreciated!

Off topic but can you stick a heater into one of them holes? It would be great in a very cold climate. Thanks

well , the million pound question on the power, its b230a, 298 deg cam, 11.5 lift, 46-38 valves, ported 530, solid lifters, 11:1 compression, otherwise all new rings bearings etc, but with lh2.4 inlet using bmw m44b19 ecu. engine is in a e36 compact with a is200 6 speed. Power i dont know as yet, i cant change the inlet at all as that is part of the rules for the road rally class my car is in.

So its not highly stressed, so i dont think the after market retainers will be needed.

thanks for the pic that helps a lot, i ve just watched a vid, on youtube this one and the way he removes them looks like the way they have been installed!

thankyou very much for the help! really appreciated!

How many RPM are you turning? Does it have an underdrive pulley?

I was gonna say the freeze plugs that popped out where from excessive water pressure is what was thought I thought anyway. Like what happened to Kenny. Flexing of the motor and they pop? Where is the evidence of that?

I'd definitely spring for retainers, cheap insurance. From your specs it sounds like you're wanting to turn ~7500rpm and I'd at the very least do a smaller crank pulley/vib damper and the larger of the B230 WP pulleys to keep the water pressure down. Also, this may or may not be true, but some aftermarket WPs have a stamped steel blade style impeller as opposed to the OEM style round cast impeller. I always make sure to get the ones with the OEM style cast impeller. HEPU makes good OEM quality replacement WPs.

You should be a moderator here, You and a few others are such a great asset here! ......thanks for the great info you take the time to share!

Nah, I don't think I'd make a good moderator. I'd be inclined to swing the ban hammer indiscriminately.

Off topic but can you stick a heater into one of them holes? It would be great in a very cold climate. Thanks

Like this?

http://www.240.se/litteratur/8-87-16.pdf

I was gonna say the freeze plugs that popped out where from excessive water pressure is what was thought I thought anyway. Like what happened to Kenny. Flexing of the motor and they pop? Where is the evidence of that?

Well, the radiator cap should relive any excess pressure so that's probably not the cause. It may not be flexing of the block but a combination of vibration/harmonics and cavitation from the water pump spinning too fast that causes the plugs to pop out. Whatever the cause, it's a known issue on highly stressed redblocks.

well, i want it to do 7,000 revs, no more, that is because at those revs itll be ultra reliable hopefully, its above there that things vibrate and shake loose. Pulleys wise, volvo water pump driven of the >back< [so turns the wrong way] of a cerpantine belt, bmw m52 bottom pulley, bmw sized pulley for the volvo alti, bmw ps pump and pulley...Not got any pics, ill take some at the weekend.

oh the rad is bmw m3 ally type, and vw lupo rez bottle.

Any idea s on the power anyone please? thanks

Reminds me I gotta do the water pump on my 90 745, weeping from the weep hole. I just used the bigger water pump pulley and Dale's under drive crank pulley and revved to 7.5k and beyond! LH 2.4 no rev limit mod..

Watch the tach go beyond it's limits..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vB3c4fRXSwU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one still trying to figure out how high I revved!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ua683dLR0Ao" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He ain't kidding!! He's already threatening to have me banned if he was a mod, and I'm his brother!!

Mods, is there some rule against bans against family members? :):)

Nah, I don't think I'd make a good moderator. I'd be inclined to swing the ban hammer indiscriminately.

whats the best too to use to [put them in with, ill be doing it this weekend you see, want to make sure i give myself a good chance, and also i need a big hammer or will tehy go with a little tap?

thanks

Back