• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

motor mount options

90volvo

Other than the hockey puck motor mounts or poly; is their any other options? Its time for new mounts on my 1990 volvo 240. Its been a while but remember seeing somewhere that their was a better option.

I’ve used hockey pucks and they suck. Didn’t do a good job and vibrated far too much.

I’ve used genuine OE Volvo mounts and they still sucked (behind turbo power especially)

I’m to the point where any aftermarket crap mount + a ratchet strap = longevity.

Is this behind a turbo motor? With mods? A manual trans?

I've gone through the usual list of options on mine.
- stock mounts - hit boot in 1st gear once and at least one is going to be ripped apart
- poly mounts - do you like buzzes and rattles? That's how you get buzzes and rattles. Didn't rip apart the first time it hit boost in 1st, but maybe... 10th time? One was ripped in half a week later

After that I used a combination of a passenger side OEM/Volvo diesel mount and some shorter/stouter mount from a Dodge pickup on the driver side. Shorter because I needed to lean the 16V head over a little bit away from the A/C lines on the firewall, stouter because it was used in a pickup with a V8 and a low range transfer case.
A2469_01__ra_p.jpg

(1993 Dodge W250 V8 on Rockauto - cost a whopping $2!!!)

But at that point I was tired of messing with motor mounts, and even with 'strong' diesel and pickup mounts, I started using a ratchet strap.

Which was as easy as pie to do. I just ran it from one of the engine hoist loops (front and back of the bolts that hold the intake manifold on) over to the driver's side shock tower. Hooked it, ratcheted it down modestly tight, and never broke another motor mount, even with roughly 350 whp (at times). 'Preloading' the motor mounts with strap tension in the 'go' position also just helped the whole drivetrain feel less sloppy as the throttle went on and off, the stick shift wiggled around less. And the strap adds practically no vibration either.

FWIW... I've used the poly RSI mounts in a cold climate car and while I agree (I installed them in the summer) they were shaky initially. They settled down. Then it got cold and they got shaky again but again settled down.

I know they no longer exist, but I still have my set and will be swapping them onto my current 240 when I get the energy.

I will also be employing the ratchet strap setup though.

^ yup. Your car will literally transmit more whp by adding a ratchet strap, or at least it should since you’re using that power to turn the wheels instead of move the whole engine sideways.

Stock NA or turbo?
For NA I have been using MTC 164 mounts or early 80s Jaguar XJ6 mounts. The 164 mounts are just a tad bit softer.
You have to drill out the aluminum bracket and get new hardware.
For turbo, do the same thing but add a ratchet strap.

Back