• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Early 240 steering wheel removal question

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I want to remove the steering wheel from my '79 242 to install an aftermarket one, but I don't want to harm my factory wheel, it's in perfect shape. It seems the only way is to remove the square in the center to start the process. I did some gentle prying with a screwdriver on the square bit, but no luck.
Anyone have a go to tool or procedure for this? Usually I would try harder with different tools but like I said the wheel is perfect and I don't want to damage anything.
Anything else I should know about this process? Thanks guys :cheers:

Is this the large school bus wheel? You want to use a very small jewelers screwdriver and kind of press it right next to the plastic center till the edge goes under it and you slide it under the plastic cover to pop it out. Then a deep 27mm socket on a long extension to a breaker bar will remove the nut.

That guide is for the later wheel, but good info regardless, thanks!
The instructions that came with the wheel did mention to keep the nut on, I'm not sure what the advantage is but I know know theres a reason behind it, I'm not going to find out the hard way haha.

Due to a change in the cone angle of this steering shaft, a puller is not needed on 1979 and later models. Mark the steering wheel alignment to facilitate correct installation.

Due to a change in the cone angle of this steering shaft, a puller is not needed on 1979 and later models. Mark the steering wheel alignment to facilitate correct installation.

Don't miss this little important step.
Otherwise you will hit the road and see your wheel tweeked/misaligned wrong to the left or right.
Yes, then you get to remove the wheel all over again to get what you had before you took it off.

Haha, I will do that. I haven't installed it yet because I'm fighting with the rusty rear suspension and the car is on jackstands.

If you put the wheel back on 15-20 degrees to the left, it makes it easier to put the drivers seat all the way back, lean it out gangster style and drive with your left foot. The heel-toe gas/clutch with the right foot is a real pain in the arse but you get used to it.....:roll:

Ok... thanks for the nonsense.

Anyway, there is no practical way to mark the position of the wheel so I just put the wheels dead straight and the big tires are holding pretty well. Had to turn my impact gun up to max setting (600 ftlbs) to get the dam nut off. Everything stayed straight, just assembled the Volvo to Momo adapter to the Momo to Mota Lita adapter, and it's about ready to install.

Back