• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Buy one of Kenny's PnP MS boxes. Stupid easy, might even be able to go MS3 or the like. It's not too terrible honestly.

12psi shouldn't be an issue with #39 injectors, but it'll be close for sure. Assuming stock 016 AMM, not the 012?

Glad Astro is able to work with you. Were you talking to Tony down there? He seems to be the guy answering the emails, handling the tech side, plus he's the owner. Tell him Gary Sellstrom said hi. :)

I would agree that the investment in the car and it's performance certainly warrants the ECU swap. I'm sure someone with your ability will have no trouble getting a setup running well.

I was going to say before that the .8 in my box does sing a bit due to a straighter cut, it's not loud but a notable change coming out of 4th. I like it because it just makes me feel like Hans Stuck driving an M3 GTR or something :p

Buy one of Kenny's PnP MS boxes. Stupid easy, might even be able to go MS3 or the like. It's not too terrible honestly.

12psi shouldn't be an issue with #39 injectors, but it'll be close for sure. Assuming stock 016 AMM, not the 012?

Glad Astro is able to work with you. Were you talking to Tony down there? He seems to be the guy answering the emails, handling the tech side, plus he's the owner. Tell him Gary Sellstrom said hi. :)

Yeah, Tony is the guy. Super helpful via their online chat thing.

And yes, stock 016 AMM. I was thinking about a 3" one, but if it comes to that, I'm going with MS. I'll have to look into Kenny's MS box. I like the idea of a plug-in solution, but I also would love to take the opportunity to clean up the harness/make a nice one.

I would agree that the investment in the car and it's performance certainly warrants the ECU swap. I'm sure someone with your ability will have no trouble getting a setup running well.

I was going to say before that the .8 in my box does sing a bit due to a straighter cut, it's not loud but a notable change coming out of 4th. I like it because it just makes me feel like Hans Stuck driving an M3 GTR or something :p

That's how my sycnhros sound now. It's the craziest noise I've ever heard.

And yeah, getting rid of the LH 2.4 is sounding more and more probable.

You may be dropping fuel pressure at the rail. What is your fuel pump setup?

This is actually what I suspect the most. I'm using a 240 turbo pump externally, and no internal pump. It could be starving at higher revs. This weekend I want to rig up a camera under the hood to "datalog" my fuel pressure gauge and see.

In the meantime, I increased fuel pressure from 3.0 to 3.5 bar. I figure if it was the injectors, the added pressure would mimic larger injectors and make the lean out better. If the lean condition stays the same, then I'll focus on the pump.

I used an oil pressure gauge kit to bring a gauge from my regulator to the windshield wiper for temporary on the road fuel diagnostics. The other thing I did was jump the fuel pump to run constantly then put pressure into the top of the regulator with a mity-vac to mimic boost - that worked out well actually.

fwiw when my car was leaning out under boost it was a bad pump which worked reliably day after day, but deadheaded around 90psi so I wasn't getting the flow under pressure.

That sounds great. Is the gear a better material or anything? You also might check the classifieds on corral.net for a tko500 with the 0.68 fifth gear as well.

I used an oil pressure gauge kit to bring a gauge from my regulator to the windshield wiper for temporary on the road fuel diagnostics. The other thing I did was jump the fuel pump to run constantly then put pressure into the top of the regulator with a mity-vac to mimic boost - that worked out well actually.

fwiw when my car was leaning out under boost it was a bad pump which worked reliably day after day, but deadheaded around 90psi so I wasn't getting the flow under pressure.

I like the mity-vac idea. I have a spare oil pressure gauge and sender, but I'd rather be able to do it in the garage than rigging up a temporary gauge.

That sounds great. Is the gear a better material or anything? You also might check the classifieds on corral.net for a tko500 with the 0.68 fifth gear as well.

I don't know what material the .72 5th is. I assume it's a high alloy, similar to the normal T5z gear sets. Is a TKO any wider than a T5? That's my limiting factor. The tunnel in an early 140 is VERY narrow.

Yeah it's wider. I guess I thought the tunnel part you added could give you more space, but it's probably still too tight. Sounds like you found the best transmission solution.

Yeah it's wider. I guess I thought the tunnel part you added could give you more space, but it's probably still too tight. Sounds like you found the best transmission solution.

It added space vertically, but not much, width-wise. I even had to notch out the driver side a bit and it's still maybe 3/4" from hitting.

Go to a hydraulic shop and get a 1/4inch npt pushloc fitting some -4 line and a mechanical gauge and run it inside the car for diag I do this for oil and fuel pressure diag on my cars. Also what's the wiring situation to your pump? What size wiring are you running and how are you triggering the power the pump

Or just run a gauge taped to the windshield for testing purposes. BTDT numerous times over the years.

Erik is right about wiring to the pump as well. My wagon had 1.8v drop between battery and pump with the 255 in tank. I swapped in the 320, little higher draw, added a relay and some #10, now it's about .2v drop. Probably have to retune MS when it goes back on.

Tony warned me about the chinese input shafts when I built mine up. Said they look and fit fine, but simply won't hold the power of a legit Tremec one, definitely worth the $20 more for the Tremec. Even 6 months after my purchase he was cool to help me out with info via email.

Go to a hydraulic shop and get a 1/4inch npt pushloc fitting some -4 line and a mechanical gauge and run it inside the car for diag I do this for oil and fuel pressure diag on my cars. Also what's the wiring situation to your pump? What size wiring are you running and how are you triggering the power the pump

I just have a single 16ga wire running from the stock LH connector back to the pump, then the pump is grounded back by the trunk. Also with a 16ga wire. I thought that's how the stock 240 was set up. I didn't add a relay into the system, so it's just being triggered by the stock LH relay.

I just have a single 16ga wire running from the stock LH connector back to the pump, then the pump is grounded back by the trunk. Also with a 16ga wire. I thought that's how the stock 240 was set up. I didn't add a relay into the system, so it's just being triggered by the stock LH relay.

Okay use the stock wiring to trigger a relay and run power straight from the battery to it. I usually run a 10g wire but 12 will work just fine. Trust me it will help ALOT. i fought lean issues for a long time with my old 244 and just running from the battery through the relay to the pump with a good equal size ground does wonders

Okay use the stock wiring to trigger a relay and run power straight from the battery to it. I usually run a 10g wire but 12 will work just fine. Trust me it will help ALOT. i fought lean issues for a long time with my old 244 and just running from the battery through the relay to the pump with a good equal size ground does wonders

Yeah, I will try to measure voltage drop after cars and coffee tomorrow. It would be cool to have some numbers with the stock-ish wiring and after I switch to your relay setup.

Back