• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 244 DL Autocrosser

The "before" height.
medium.jpg

Made the support bars and welded them in on the drivers side today. Installed the adj. torque rods, set as long as I can make them, and they're not long enough to fix my tire clearance problems, so I butchered the fenders some more.

Drivers side has hit a guard rail and been heavily bondo'd by me in the past, so I ground out a lot of dust to get back to bare metal. Now that I can get to the back side of the outer layer, I knocked out the dent(s) a little and started contemplating where to cut & splice to make it wider. Then I had another idea, one that is less visually appealing, but much quicker & easier to execute. I didn't really need a lot more room, so I'm knocking the fender lip out and blending it with the arch along the dogleg.

After rough shaping with a couple of hammers
126815930.jpg

126815931.jpg

126815932.jpg

At 21.5" up to the arch, I can slide paper between the fender and tire all the way around. It must be resting on the bump stop now.

should I just clear coat it and leave it as is? :lol:

Adjusting the panhard rod was extremely difficult due to lack of anti-seize and ample supply of rusty threads, but I got one side loose and turned and I think it's good now.

126822349.jpg

Needs a lot of finish work to smooth it out, but I've got the clearance I need without cutting/welding. Not really sure how it's going to look when it's "done". This is at the height I want, but I need to be sure I have clearance at full compression which could be over an inch lower. Right now with no springs, it bottoms out on the pinion bump stop before the tire hits the fender on this side. Still have to hammer out the details on the other side tomorrow, then slap some filler on it, sand, spray paint, and we're ready to go racin' as soon as my springs show up mid week.

126822350.jpg

126822352.jpg

And because I can and you can't...the 15x9.5 flatbase.

126822353.jpg

126822354.jpg

Looking good. Maybe when I am in DC at the end of the year I will be able to see this in person? Looks like I am going to a conference at the end of November.

Hopefully it's still running/driving then. Should be. November is a nice time of year to drive this car that gets very hot inside.

Just got my new stickers...registration through July 2012. :-D

Back