• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Would duct tape or Krazy glue work better?

MasterBlaster

... or perhaps drywall screws and silly putty?

Saw this through the back window of an 86 Turbo Diesel wagon at the shop across the lane. I think it's one of those do-it-yourself cam kits, where you can assemble it however you want, "phasing" the lobes to advance or retard the valve timing in individual cylinders. Pretty cool idea, yes? :-P

2njbvnq.jpg

sndsme.jpg

Head from a D24 engine, an extremely interference engine. Probably timing belt broke or crank pulley slipped (requires >330 ft-lb torque on the crank pulley bolt).

Yup, I remember from my VW days that this happened to diesel Rabbits as well when the belt slipped. :-P Must make a sweet sound when it snaps.

Usually when I try to fix something I try to get internets advice first.
So, inevitably this means the advice is going to be something totally unrelated to the problem and the totally unrelated thing gets broken, that way I get to have more problems.

So I know what broken stuff looks like since I've broken just about every unrelated thing there is.

That's broken.

Duh...it's a variable cam timing setup.

Or perhaps he over-vtec'd his vtec?

My thoughts exactly: vtec turbodiesel. Hey, Mercedes did build a valveless engine. They could not run it on F1 since the ruling body of that state-of-the-art competition said valves are required, but that is a small detail.

Drill for roll pins, apply JB weld to mating surfaces; start engine up, drive to crusher...:lol::omg::roll::nod:;-)

I was thinking more of a long threaded rod through it

My thoughts exactly: vtec turbodiesel. Hey, Mercedes did build a valveless engine. They could not run it on F1 since the ruling body of that state-of-the-art competition said valves are required, but that is a small detail.

I was thinking more of a long threaded rod through it

Yeah, heck, it didn't even occur to me. A REALLY long airplane drill from McMaster-Carr or somebody, and then a piece of Chinese made ready rod, with a couple of reliefs drilled in each end, a nut, and then a nice, contaminated weld at each end to hold the whole thing in place. Spotface both ends after welding to maintain precise engineering tolerances, cover in bacon fat, and re-install.:cool: Enjoy yards of motoring bliss.:)

Back