home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
jvluntzel
Board Member

Default LED Taillight Conversion

Hello all!

I had been having issues with my 91 740 wagon tail lights and decided I wanted to upgrade.

I made a little project out of it for fun :D

Instead of buying led bulbs that fit in the stock location, I wanted to get rid of that old school grounding rail and individual pins BS and convert to a waterproof plug.

I also I wanted to have options if I want to set up the lights differently in the future.

I made some pcb boards with 12 leds on each (2 channels of 6) - 3 leds in series with a 100 ohm resistor before hand. They are super bright :D

Seeing as this is my testing set, I didnt go too crazy with perfect fitment. As long as the lights were pointed correctly and centered, I hot glued those badboys in there. All circuitry waterproofed too.

As you can see my plug is attached also. Here is the how it goes:

And the test!

lights:

Brakes:

Turn signals/flashers:

I am thinking I am going to add more for the brakes in the top section, Ill have to make a smaller board but itll add more visibility.

Let me know what you think!

:D
Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Jack
Banned

Too bright
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
esmth
dirty swede

I like the idea, but if you think hot-glue will waterproof it, you're in for a surprise in a couple months!

I wanted to do something similar, but modify the stock bulb socket to house one of these guys:
Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
jvluntzel
Board Member

Like I said its not a permanent solution...more like testing. What I want to do is cut out the whole back side and make my own pcb that is specific to the 740/940/v90
jvluntzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
rallydallas
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
I like the idea, but if you think hot-glue will waterproof it, you're in for a surprise in a couple months!

I wanted to do something similar, but modify the stock bulb socket to house one of these guys:
Yeah, I've been thinking about this too for 2XX/7XX/9XX.. If you hold a single SMD flashlight in the socket, the dispersion pattern is just about perfect. So a 3d-printed mount, some SMD LEDs, and a harness to plug it up is what I was thinking. Someday.
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I put some LED bulbs in stock sockets. Its a decent approach, looks fairly factory interms of brightness with less amperage.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote