home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #351
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Hire an independent appraiser and watch the dough pile in. Got 5 grand out of a polished turd 940 5 years ago.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #352
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Got the vehicle evaluation. Apparently this car is a GL with an automatic and fog lights.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #353
vwbusman66
Pushrod cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Got the vehicle evaluation. Apparently this car is a GL with an automatic and fog lights.
Did they come look at it?
Blind appraiser?
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
You're not going to be an aerospace engineer because you have a library card and a can-do attitude.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #354
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

That blows.

Re: the overdrive, you'll need at least the rear housing, the speedometer drive worm gear that goes on the output shaft, the speedo gear with its housing, and the retaining screw for it. Use a Cofle branded speedometer cable (Volvo p/n 1215546). The good news is that an autotragic Diesel uses the same gear ratio as a 1983-85 M46 non-turbo 240, so, you could also just get an OD unit from an '85 and swap it over.

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #355
Cwazywazy
Board Member

I can't believe uhaul just gives trucks and trailers to totally inexperienced teenagers. Best company ever.

Car's home. I'll start playing with it tomorrow. I swear, if the forklift mangled my exhaust or sway bar...
Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #356
Cwazywazy
Board Member

So it cranks fine (Surprised me because the battery has a hole in it) but there's no power to the coil. Fuses and wiring all look fine. How can I tell if the EZK box is fried? It had water leaking onto it.

The driver's motor mount didn't shear, the lower bracket actually broke in half. Radiator and condenser are FUBAR but the intercooler actually might be fine.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #357
Cwazywazy
Board Member

The battery had a big crack along the bottom of it so most of its acid was gone. And it cranked like it was fully charged.

Looks like my no ignition is due to the powerstage wires being crushed by the battery/bracket.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #358
vwbusman66
Pushrod cretin

Breaks my heart to see this car, which is by far one of the most real-life TB builds on here, die in such a way.
Still one of my favorite cars here.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #359
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
I've got proof of roughly $3500 worth of parts/services for this car. I spent more than I thought..
Receipts isn't how you win this battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Breaks my heart to see this car, which is by far one of the most real-life TB builds on here, die in such a way.
Still one of my favorite cars here.
Why does it have to die, people like me who you loath so much fix cars like this in our sleep.....
Old 11-10-2018, 11:47 PM   #360
vwbusman66
Pushrod cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Why does it have to die, people like me who you loathe so much fix cars like this in our sleep.....
ftfy- how long have you been saving that dig for, anyway?

If you have a problem with me, bring it up in the private messages or text me. You have my number (dig real deep in your phone for a guy named James Keller). I don't loathe anybody who fixes their wrecked car- hell, I'm thinking about doing it myself. I do, however, loathe those who tell half-truths or blatant lies about the cars they're selling and waste people's time with deals they had no intention of following through on.

To answer your "why", however, we all know darn well that that 245 is beyond fixing reasonably. Its already rusty, and I'd bet good money the frame rails are tweaked. For the money that would have to be spent straightening and painting, you could find a solid shell to swap parts into.

Also, since you fix them in your sleep, why isn't your silver 245 fixed yet?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #361
Cwazywazy
Board Member

No fighting in my thread. The only person here you're welcome to insult is me.

And yeah, this body is trashed now. Frame rail, subframe, strut tower, all bent. Steering column got pushed in, floor got bashed in behind the pedals, etc. The car did its job and did all the squishing so my face didn't have to, which is something my Ford won't do for me. It's a good thing I got hit on that side too, the passenger frame rail has a fist size rust hole. (I think there's a pic several pages back.) Not to mention the gaping rocker holes.

This car was a $700 winter beater that I used to learn what I now know about cars and how to drive like a maniac. (****in miracle I never wrapped it around a tree.) A ton of fun while it lasted, but now it's time to harvest what I can and make an even better car.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 11-11-2018 at 01:00 AM..
Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #362
nel621
Board Member

Just went through this entire thread. You got really close and personal with this car. Too bad about the accident but as you say the Volvo saved your life and that is what counts. Glad you're OK.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #363
white855T
Board Member

At the end of the day, its just a car... There are plenty more Volvo's for the op to molest and I'm pretty sure he will.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #364
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
No fighting in my thread. The only person here you're welcome to insult is me.

And yeah, this body is trashed now. Frame rail, subframe, strut tower, all bent. Steering column got pushed in, floor got bashed in behind the pedals, etc. The car did its job and did all the squishing so my face didn't have to, which is something my Ford won't do for me. It's a good thing I got hit on that side too, the passenger frame rail has a fist size rust hole. (I think there's a pic several pages back.) Not to mention the gaping rocker holes.

This car was a $700 winter beater that I used to learn what I now know about cars and how to drive like a maniac. (****in miracle I never wrapped it around a tree.) A ton of fun while it lasted, but now it's time to harvest what I can and make an even better car.
Many nice cars left that will live on with the parts harvested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Just went through this entire thread. You got really close and personal with this car. Too bad about the accident but as you say the Volvo saved your life and that is what counts. Glad you're OK.
You are right here, as always. Glad we have someone who can always find the positive in something on this board.

Op, good luck in your search for another.
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #365
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Op, good luck in your search for another.
Oh, guess I should introduce the "new turbo" to this thread. My 1982 244GL Diesels motor blew up a couple weeks or so before the crash, so that's where the turbo motor is going. Interior is mint and it looks nice from a distance, but its got enough rust and craptastic bondo that I won't feel bad about driving it in the winter. 152k on it. My plan is to swap over the engine and suspension stuff as-is then continue where I left off in terms of upgrades.

It's gonna be a little bit faster than it used to be once I'm done with it. Stock 0-60 is 19 seconds with the diesel.

BTW, anyone know what the axle ratio for an automatic diesel would've been?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #366
vwbusman66
Pushrod cretin

Quote:
I believe it should be a 3.54?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 AM   #367
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

^3.31... M46 was 3.54...

-J
Old 11-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #368
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Oh, guess I should introduce the "new turbo" to this thread. My 1982 244GL Diesels motor blew up a couple weeks or so before the crash, so that's where the turbo motor is going. Interior is mint and it looks nice from a distance, but its got enough rust and craptastic bondo that I won't feel bad about driving it in the winter. 152k on it. My plan is to swap over the engine and suspension stuff as-is then continue where I left off in terms o

It's gonna be a little bit faster than it used to be once I'm done with it. Stock 0-60 is 19 seconds with the diesel.

Thatís the best kind of beater, one you donít have to stress about!
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #369
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Interior is mint and it looks nice from a distance, but its got enough rust and craptastic bondo that I won't feel bad about driving it in the winter.
that car did fool me when I first saw it. It's a great 40-footer.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #370
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Some frame gore.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #371
57plymouth
Board Member

You know, that COULD be saved. But the cost to pull and repair that frame rail is far beyond the value of pretty much any Volvo wagon here. I know if my car was hit that hard that I wouldn't repair it, and mine is rust free.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #372
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Yeah, if this was 1988 or so, then, it might be worth fixing. My old '83 245T apparently had similar damage on the passenger side sometime between 1983 and 1997. It was repaired by a body shop, but not well. To get the front bumper to line up, I had to first put the bumper shock bolt in, then insert the shock until it touched the bolt.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #373
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Couldn't find a crank to AC belt so I got a bit creative..

The oil pan is a bit bashed but it should be fine. The AC isn't lined up correctly (I attempted to straighten the brackets) which is why I'm able to use a big belt. I'll have to fix that and get correct belts before I charge it.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #374
57plymouth
Board Member

I would imagine that the belt will slip on the A/C compressor. It doesn't look like it has enough wrap.

But good work! You should be back in action soon.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #375
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

kudos for even giving AC a second thought when it was 16deg yesterday morning :D
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote