• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Reccomendation for upgraded trans on a b230ft

89_740Turbo

I want to get the ball rolling now in my mind about what transmission I should set my sights on for a trans upgrade.

I know all too well about the T5, Nissan trans and the m90. I am leaning towards a m90 because they are very capable and still a Volvo part. Lets say I choose a m90, do they sell them here in the states or would I have to import from overseas? How much are they selling for?

Lets say a m90 is not worth it... I'd be looking into the T5, though I have read very little about a T5 swap into a 740. Most are 240's.

Has anyone swapped any upgraded trans in their 740 and is so, what?

Last edited:
The t5 swap is really easy and fairly cheap depending on what clutch you get. If you don't go custom clutch you can mix and match mustang and Volvo clutch parts to get one to work.

The t5 is also very abundant, very easy to work on, and supposedly holds some power. I feel like you'd be doing yourself a disservice getting an m90 because as they are cool, they're not the easiest to find. Just my $.02 though

What do you want? The "its a Volvo part' is the lamest reason since A) they're rare B) expensive and C sh!tty ratio for anything but an old grand pa car driven by an OLD grand pa....
Why...nobody cares what box you have except the person driving--and they don't know unless somebody tells them..

Getrag 265....same problems A-C plus D) super bitch to merely open for a B.1) VERY expensive rebuild
Nissan?
Toiletta?

Most T5s?

Some T5s are the only gear set, gearbox with ratios which can dramatically improve the driving experience in the car...all others are "just gearboxes that might FIT'

340 - gearbox t5
200ish - driveshaft
100-200 - Flywheel machine for Saab pp
100 - Saab pp
150 - Southbend clutch
200ish ? T5 adapter from kalphenke

So yeah like 1k-1.5k depending on deals and choices
With John on this bc I was thinking getrag too but it's just not easy to find.

T5 is tried and true

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

The owner Bob Hanlon knows everything there is to know about the T5 and can get any one you want, built to any spec. Keep in mind the best T5 isn't good for much over 300 hp.

But decades of experience worldwide shows that to be a half-truth.
First gearboxes are rated by TORQUE, not HP.
Second, HOW the torque is delivered has a large effect..Turbos engines, from the gearbox point of view, deliver power in a more gentle manner..

Third, the best is the only one to seriously think about if planning power.
Pay now, or pay later.

Yes, should have said torque. It would just be a shame to spend all that money and work to put a transmission in that isn't strong enough.

I gotta Getrag 265 overdrive 5th gear 5 speed transmission in my 545 thousand mile 90 745 turbo wagon original motor never rebuilt. It was stock m46 special ordered with manual trans by Jim Fisher's best buddie. Hard to destroy the old BMW 265 getrag, built for strength, not for ratios. Match it with a JohnV billet steel saab 900 9.5 incher pressure plate and bmw z3 240mm disc and yur golden.

Get your adapter plate here to bolt it to your redblock.

https://www.stsmachininginc.com/pro...dapter-plate-to-redblock-m46-m47-bellhousings

The T5 tried and true is in a 240.. No T5 fits in a 740 for shifter location, none.. Silly 240 boie's..

Other then that, I got two complete 740 m90 setups. Know what I don't have? Any 240 advise. Why? Cause T5 is all you 240 needs.

My 240 has m47. Why? Cause it's a 240 wagon, not a race car... 740's for racing.

Cost? I paid 1200 for the m90 setup, not including billet steel flywheels and pressure plates and disc.. That's another 1k if your racing. I bought getrag 265 off craigslist in a crate rebuilt for 50 buxs.. Sure they are hard to find, but find old 80's bmw with one and take it out then crush the rest.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E23-E2...h=item3b10b05af9:g:qwAAAOSwv7Vah2sT:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited:
Yeah my 548 thousand miles original motor 745 turbo car came with factory m46 manual trans also. I replace that m46 about 8 times before I finally decided to put getrag 265 in it last year. I was gonna sell the getrag setup, but then I was like, nahh get your own.

What's the point about already has flappy pedal? It's the shifter location that is the problem with T5 in 740, hole ain't in right spot.

He want's advise from someone with other manual trans in 740. Who else has other manual trans in 740 speak up. How great is your m90? Did you weld up the turd gear stop ring? In your 740 getrag swap how did you do the shifter? How? Want me to post pictures? Or you given up already?

For getrag in a 740 you can use the bmw shift cage but cut out the bmw ball socket shifter location and weld in a volvo shift ball socket 2 inches further back then where the bmw one was. Now the shifter is in the correct location for a 740 and you can use the world's famous volvo m46 shifter or m47 one or aftermarket 300 dollar rattling solid core race shifter. Then cut your shift rod and weld in a couple inches to make your rod longer. Your rod needs more length.

shifty9.jpg

shifty11.jpg

shifty15.jpg

Last edited:
I would honestly rock the m46 for as long as you can and deal with it when the time comes. You might get a longer life than you think, especially if you don't drop the clutch or jam gears. I've got several thousand miles on an m47 in my 940 with 16t at 20 psi and supporting mods, which seems like the same route you're headed down.

The Nissan CD009 fits the 740 with some trimming of the points that stick out on the transmission. We also pounded a little on the tunnel, but nothing major. Just needed a new pilot bearing, clutch disc, m46 bellhousing, Deeworks adapter plate, throwout bearing, front half of drive shaft, and a shifter that hangs off the rear of the transmission.

I have a thread somewhere on here about it, and I will take some pictures someday..maybe.

Ive been interested in the cd009 Nissan transmission. Until I get some welding experience im not touching it, but it seems like a good idea, handles the most power, 6 speeds :oogle:

The bellhousing does not come off, so cut the cdoo9 BH off and weld on the m46/47 one. Kinda sucks, but if its a better a better trans it might be worth it

Back