• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ovlov Gp-A 240T update

ovlov21

The www.ovlov.net Gp-A 240T is finally, after 6 years of restoration and locating original Gp-A components, performing to its potential in Historic Touring Car events in Australia.

The final breakthrough was with the help of John Vanlandingham locating a suitable T3 A/R 0.63 turbine housing. The current motor also has John?s beautiful H-beam rods and flat-top pistons.

The dyno run before our last race meeting was somewhat puzzling, as we couldn?t get the boost we expected. Winding up the boost control valve just increased inlet air temp. Later at the track the reason for this became evident when Gerry McCarthy, my tuner and great supporter (A Class Automotive, Revesby) identified a hair-line crack in the intercooler side tank welding.

My mechanic Scott Fleming, the Rev Doctor, in return for his great work in setting up the car was entered as Driver for the Gp-C/A Historic Touring Car support races for the Bathurst Mt Panorama 12-Hour event 4-6 February 2011.

Easter 2010 at Bathurst I did a best lap of 2min 45sec in the 240T. This time, Scotty did 2.42 then 2.40 in practice; 2.37 in Qualifying (4th place in a 19-car field) and a best time of 2.35 in Race 2.

See http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?06/02/2011.MOUN for race results.

Improvements over the weekend were due to Scotty?s changes to front bar stiffness, revalving of the Bilsteins (increased rebound stiffness F+R) by the ontrack Bilstein technicians in their little airconditioned van, and fine-tuning tire pressures.

Overall the 240T finished the meeting equal 1st on points in Gp-A. Fantastic result.

Good video of Race 2 from a Gp-A BMW which was dicing with the Volvo at times is on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B8FZh9bQts

My thanks to John Vanlandingham, Gerry McCarthy and Scott Fleming for helping me realise the dream of getting the Volvo 240T back to the front of Gp-A racing in Australia. With this year the 25th Anniversary of Robbie Francevic?s ATCC victory in the 240T I have invited Robbie over from New Zealand to drive the car at Muscle Car Masters at Sydney?s Eastern Creek raceway in September 2011.

Dick Prince

Nice video...looks like a fun, and challenging track to drive fast. The driver looked a bit timid at some points, but I could understand not needing to run flat out for that type of race. Not a wide track either.

What are the specs on the 240 engine? Flat tops...really? How does the dyno sheet look?

Fun stuff and great looking car! I'm also interested in the dyno sheets, of course.

Are you limited in the tire/wheel size you can run? The Volvo looked like it was a little skimpy in width compared to some of those other cars.

240T Gp-A engine specs

It's pretty simple really:
B21FT block, standard crankshaft.
JVAB H-beam rods and flat-top pistons, bore 92.5mm.
531 head, CNC machined to unshroud the valves, CC vol 60cc
Standard valves 44mm inlet 35mm exhaust
Cometic head gasket 1mm, CR 8.5:1
T3/T4 turbo turbine A/R 0.63, compressor A/R 0.60, plain bearing oil cooled cartridge.
91+ turbo exhaust manifold (same as original Gp-A homologated manifold) with EGT probe.
Deepened, baffled sump.
Gr-A T5 camshaft.
K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection (one of the original 34 sets built by Bosch)
K-Jet mechanical injectors with Porsche 930 Turbo tips, flowing over 600cc/min at 5 Bar fuel system pressure.
Motec M4 ECU controlling K-Jet control pressure (and hence A/F ratio) and spark timing.
B230FT inlet manifold, 54mm dia throttle body.
Custom intercooler in front of standard radiator.
Twin 9-row oil coolers below radiator.

I'm not currently running water injection.

Due to split in the intercooler we didn't get a good graph from the last dyno session. I would say it is now making around 300RWHP at 18psi boost. We will confirm soon, and post the dyno chart when available. On the track, it's not just about HP. It's about setup, power down, spring rates, shock settings, tire pressures, camber, F/R brake bias - most of these are independent of RWHP!

At the Bathurst meeting, Scotty had the quickest split times across the top of the Mountain, where no car is full throttle all the way! As he says, some drivers have a lot of talent in a straight line.

Very cool. What about the tire sizes/limitations? Are you guys able to go wider there?

240T wheels/tires

We are currently running 16x8 rims with 220-600/16 Dunlop slicks. We are able to run 16x9 rims, but there is little available in Australia in larger 16" slicks, so we will move to 16x9 rims with the 200-600/16 slicks, to get good tire ****** on the rims. This is equivalent to putting negative camber on the rear axle - the tires lean out of the turn, loading up the outside of the tread, making it easy to get uniform tire temps across the section.

Nice nice. Are most of the other people in the video running 16x9 then with that tire?

Due to split in the intercooler we didn't get a good graph from the last dyno session. I would say it is now making around 300RWHP at 18psi boost. We will confirm soon, and post the dyno chart when available. On the track, it's not just about HP. It's about setup, power down, spring rates, shock settings, tire pressures, camber, F/R brake bias - most of these are independent of RWHP!
Very true. The numbers don't matter so much, just the shape of the curve. It really makes the car nice to drive if it's strong throughout the rev range.

If you'd like to share more details about the car setup, we'd love to hear about it. I have a few ideas about what I like when setting up a 240, but I know there are different ways to get to the same end result.

Great to see you on TB Dick, thru an article in Zoom many years ago with your 740T you were the one of the reasons i looked at Turbo Volvo's for the 1st time...

Glad to see the 240T is going great guns now

It's pretty simple really:
B21FT block, standard crankshaft.
JVAB H-beam rods and flat-top pistons, bore 92.5mm.
531 head, CNC machined to unshroud the valves, CC vol 60cc
Standard valves 44mm inlet 35mm exhaust
Cometic head gasket 1mm, CR 8.5:1
T3/T4 turbo turbine A/R 0.63, compressor A/R 0.60, plain bearing oil cooled cartridge.
91+ turbo exhaust manifold (same as original Gp-A homologated manifold) with EGT probe.
Deepened, baffled sump.
Gr-A T5 camshaft.
K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection (one of the original 34 sets built by Bosch)
K-Jet mechanical injectors with Porsche 930 Turbo tips, flowing over 600cc/min at 5 Bar fuel system pressure.
Motec M4 ECU controlling K-Jet control pressure (and hence A/F ratio) and spark timing.
B230FT inlet manifold, 54mm dia throttle body.
Custom intercooler in front of standard radiator.
Twin 9-row oil coolers below radiator.

I'm not currently running water injection.

At the Bathurst meeting, Scotty had the quickest split times across the top of the Mountain, where no car is full throttle all the way! As he says, some drivers have a lot of talent in a straight line.

I am surprised none of the K-jet people have asked about this...

I am surprised none of the K-jet people have asked about this...

i personally am going to try the unwired tools utcis-pt

but it would be nice to see how he has it set up, considering it actually works!

ive always loved this car. great inspiration.

That's pretty sweet, nice work! This is actually the long term plan for my 242. It probably won't be smog-able in two years, so I've started talking to some of the folks at HMSA about what class they'd put a Group A car in. Your site has some good info for me!

Mike

Back