home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Chrisco
WRC addict

Default Confused about coil wiring MS (no spark)

So I've got kenny's MS1/V3. Converting from K-Jet. I read that you can just wire the board to the negative side of the coil. Kenny's harness had no wire on pin 2. So if I understand correctly this board is set up for spark...Right? What do I need to do to have my MS do just fuel? I do intend to do spark later. Do I need to modify the board?
Also, the harness did not include ground/sensor ground wires on pins 18/19. Anyone know why?

Thx.

MODS: Bilstein HDs, Lesjöfors springs, sways, poly bushings, 2.5" exhaust, header, short throw shifter, Recaros, MS
and a V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
1981-1982 Euro style 242, with GLT trim, rules over all other 240's.
All other 240's quake in fear at the '81-'82 242GLT, they go weak at the knees & collapse due to an uncontrollable adulation that's near idolatry.
Chrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Volvo244GLE
Board Member

think you need do do some reading up of the manuals... depending on what you want to do with it, the board is assembled differently. you need to pick up an rpm signal from somewhere, if your just doing fuel at this point, then you can just connect the negative wire of the coil to megasquirt. if it was setup for anything but what your trying to do, it will not work till you pull the megasquirt box apart and make some changes.

however this means when you want to control spark in the future, you will need to pull the unit apart and modify it to be triggered off a hall sensor or VR sensor.

if you look through the assembly guide, you should be able to figure out what options are currently installed and how you need to modify it
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

i converted from k-jet to MS2/V3 recently. i pick up rpm from a hall sensor and use direct coil control.

244GLE Project - The fun daily driver. Rebuilt B23, ported 405, 37.5 exh. valves, BMW oil squirter's, MS2e, VX3 cam, King Springs, Bilstein HD's, upper+lower chassis braces, 26mm Falcon front sway bar, 21+19=24mm rear sway bar, SAAS bucket seats, hi flow rear muffler, almost every factory option.

164 Project - The impulse buy

242GT Project - who likes rust?
Volvo244GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
Volvo244GLE
Board Member

if kenny's harness had no wire on pin 2, rpm was being picked up from either a hall sensor or the coil. if you are just picking up rpm signal from the coil, then the wire will go from the negative side of the coil to pin 24.

if there are no wires going to pin 18/19 then id assume he had the sensors earthing wires grounding directly to the body and not going through the megasquirt unit. no idea if this would make any real difference. as long as the readouts you get in megasquirt are steady when you get it running, dont worry about it.

oh and i dont blame you for getting confused, i spent ages tracking down all the info of how to set mine up. after you have got it figured out it will suddenly seem so simple.
Volvo244GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
burstcurse
Board Member

what's a "Kenneys harness"

also read on documentation on msextra.com if you have extra code.
burstcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Chrisco
WRC addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burstcurse View Post
what's a "Kenneys harness"

also read on documentation on msextra.com if you have extra code.
Kenny is linuxman51. He's sold MS boards to other TBrickers as well.

Last edited by Chrisco; 04-23-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Chrisco is offline   Reply With Quote