• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Auto to Manual T5 Questions

It's really not too complicated. My donor car didn't have SRS, but my other car did. There's instructions on how to disable SRS if you're nervous about it going off. Other than that, SRS doesn't get in the way of what you're trying to do.

Does anybody have any pics of this clutch cable pedal box?

I wrestled with my 87 donor car this weekend. My pedal box is completely loose. There's nothing holding it it... I cannot for the life of me get the damn thing out though. It SEEMS like the steering column needs to come out? There's also a steel girder that runs across the column (knee bar?) that is completely loose but won't wiggle itself free. The upper clamp that holds the steering column in place seems to be PROPERLY riveted to something INSIDE this steel girder. I can't slide it fore or aft to allow it to drop though.

I DID unbolt the clutch pedal itself (just the pedal and it's spring) thinking that maybe this is what I really needed, but I'm not sure that's all there is to it.

What does the pedal box assy look like in the 93's? Mine has the bolster and the SRS and I ran out of daylight before I could wrangle it out (because I was busy fingering the damn bolt that's in my oil pan lol).

If you just need to swap the clutch pedal, it can be done with the pedal box in the car.
If you need to swap out the pedal box, then the column has to come out. Pretty easy job. Be careful of the bearings in the lower section of the column coming out.

Taking the whole pedal box out is easy, it's like 6 bolts, takes only a few minutes. The job really is easier if you take the dash out, on a 240 that's easier than it looks, after doing it a few times I can swap the dash in a 240 in well under an hour, takes about 20 minutes to pull it out of the car. Once it's out you have clear access to everything.

I need to make an automatic a manual. Some people spoke of grinding the brake pedal down, and bolting the clutch pedal to the end thus implying that the box itself is the same between auto and manual and only the pedals are different.

This is the data I'd like.

I have the clutch pedal (with spring, and bolt and the white cups) out of my donor car (87 244). I have the pedal box loose, but haven't pulled the steering column out or the dash (yet) because I was hoping to not have to do such things. If I need to though... so be it.

So then. Can I bolt my clutch pedal into the auto box and grind off the brake... or do I need to swap boxes? Manual is 87 244. Auto (about to be T5 manual) is 93 245.

Just swap the box, you don't have to remove the steering column. I don't recall the exact details but when I converted a 240 I swapped the pedal box with the steering column in place. I don't think I even removed the dash although in retrospect that would have made it easier.

You can't (???) just bolt the clutch pedal onto the manual pedal box. The holes for it are on the brake side of the clutch pedal, but there's an additional arm of the bracket that supports the other side of the pedal.

A pic I googled:
showthread.php

Although the auto pedal box is from a 164, I think it's still a good pic.

What I did on mine was to leave the auto pedal box in place, and then trimmed off the extra arm on the donor pedal box. In addition to being welded to the main pedal box, it also bolts the the firewall itself, and is held in place by the pedal pivot shaft. I figured it would be strong enough to use with that extra arm just bolted in, and it's been great so far on my '93 245 for about 10 years.

I think the pedal box is harder to remove on later model cars with the knee bar - there is more structure under the dash compared to earlier cars that just had plastic trim under there.

What all this talk about removing the steering column? Is a '93 240 different from my '84? That's not even close to required in my 240.

Definitely easy to get things done with the dash out. I agree it's worth the small extra effort as has been mentioned.

Here's a side by side cable and hydraulic boxes.
Dave B

Attachments

• 242-030413-004.jpg
    242-030413-004.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 60
The car I converted was a '86, so no knee bolster, I forgot about that part. Doesn't the bolster come off? It's been a while since I've been under the dash of a newer 240. Still it's *got* to be easier than cutting and welding stuff.

Well... I'm telling you guys... it's not coming out of that 87 244 without something more than I'm doing.

I had the instrument cluster out, so all the bolts were easier to get at.

I wonder if I unbolt the pedals if it'll wiggle it's way out of there? I think I'm just going to pull the dash. Hopefully I don't get any of the electrics mixed up (this is what I'm most worried about) or break anything new in the process.

I'll report back.

Pulling the dash from a 240 is easy, it's even easier to waste twice as much time trying to find ways around pulling the dash to access various things. Been there, done that.

There isn't much electrical going to the dash aside from the cluster, you can leave the center console connected.

Ok... as you all expected. I pulled the dash. OF COURSE there was a nut that was still on the pedal box, that I zipped out easily and the pedal box literally fell out of position.

For anyone else inquiring. You don't need to pull the dash to remove the pedal box. It's easy. Make sure you loosen all the bolts lol.

Back