home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #26
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Now I’m on the hunt for some fogs and brackets and the front end will be all set!
I'm excited to see what you do with this, nice find!

I have the capsules and the endcap things that hold them in, but not the brackets. Let me know and you can have them for the cost of shipping. No cracks or chips, some light pitting.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, TME upper/CT lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.

Last edited by SquareD; 08-07-2020 at 10:02 AM..
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Nice car! Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
I can totally appreciate this car. Best wishes with it. I need to get another wagon in my live someday and one like yours would be on my short list.
Thanks, they are getting harder to find especially the 80s ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
I'm excited to see what you do with this, nice find!

I have the capsules and the endcap things that hold them in, but not the brackets. Let me know and you can have them for the cost of shipping. No cracks or chips, some light pitting.
Thanks man, I missed having a Volvo so much! Still sorting through which direction I want to take the car. The more I drive it, the more I'm thinking of making it my DD. Fix Heat/AC then lowering springs, IPD sways, Hydras, MBC set to 12PSI. Basically the wagon version of my old 91 Coupe.

Do you mean the housing and little pieces to the left and right of the lens? I would love to have them! I can just get the Uro brackets. Not as worried about those since they wont see as much UV and if they fade they arent really visible anyway.
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #28
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Do you mean the housing and little pieces to the left and right of the lens? I would love to have them! I can just get the Uro brackets. Not as worried about those since they wont see as much UV and if they fade they arent really visible anyway.
Yep! Original Bosch capsules too. Send me a PM with an address and I can probably have them headed your way sometime next week.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #29
Coupid
Board Member

The insides of the 100A Denso I bought from KJetsonaPlane looks great so I decided to install it as is tonight. Installation was as easy as I remembered from when I did it on my 780 a few years ago.

The car originally had a 100A Bosch in it. After installing the Denso at idle the revs no longer dip when the lights come on and the heater fan is turned on. I could probably go for a shorter belt since the tensioner is maxed out but so far so good!
Old 08-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #30
Coupid
Board Member

Thanks to SquareD I am halfway to having fog lights!

While I am awaiting some IPD and other parts shipments I want to start working on detailing the engine bay. The goal for today was to get most of the grease, Monterey leaves and pine needles and check out the battery tray. Here is the before:

And the after:

I definitely have more work to do but it was almost 90 degrees outside and the rest of it can likely be done in the comfort of the garage. There was a little surface rust under the battery tray, it has been brushed and sprayed with some rust converter. I will take some photos, prime and paint match tonight.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #31
Coupid
Board Member

Forgot to take pictures during but here is a photo of the mostly finished product. I think the lighting makes it look a little worse than it does IRL. Iím confident I got all the surface rust.

Even though my new 100A Denso was working great I was intrigued by 15Aís rebuild thread and wanted to give it a shot since I had never opened up an alternator before. I used his eBay link for the brush/regulator and this Honda S2000 rectifier https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PREMIUM...72.m2749.l2649 Which matched the PN from 15Aís source.

Here is everything installed:
DEAA9670-866-F-4149-A144-AE3-CB2-BD0-DCA
Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #32
Coupid
Board Member

As previously alluded to, thanks to SquareD I was able to piece together a set of fog lights for the car!

The rest of the parts arrived this week so I thought that I would take a look after dinner this evening. Looked like an easy job but man was that hardware corroded. Here is that I was finally able to remove:

Itís in my garage so the angles are no good but I was able to scrounge together nice new hardware to mount the Uro brackets to the bumper. Yay!

Old 08-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #33
redblockpowered
Board Member

Always good to see more grandpa series cars on the board.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #34
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Always good to see more grandpa series cars on the board.
Agreed! They are the best.

Tonight I wanted to tackle the PCV. Everything in the engine bay is pretty damp with oil. I didnít read any mention of a replacement at any point in the last 200k miles so I knew it was a good place to start looking.

Here is the inlet to the box:

And the flame trap

Yuck

And then I found a solid vacuum leak:

I had already received a genuine Volvo flame trap and oil separator box from IPD but I neglected to order the elbow. That has now been added to tonightís proprietary clip and tailgate repair order. Slowly but surely!
Old 08-25-2020, 01:15 AM   #35
Coupid
Board Member

Another evening, another project. Tonight I tackled the transmission mount. The car had that distinctive lurching when going into gear and the shifts didn’t feel that great either. I ordered a Meyle HD mount from IPD along with some linkage bushings since the shifter itself felt loose. It’s so nice to work on a platform that I have been around for a while so I have a good idea of where to start for a given issue.

I got the car up on ramps and then supported the trans with a floor jack (and a 3x3 piece of metal to spread the load).

Here is what greeted me after I pulled the crossmember:

Yuck... mount didn’t look as bad as I thought it would but even though it still held its shape, it was basically jelly after soaking in oil for years.

New mount is in:

Finally a comparison between the old and new OEM linkage bushing

I hadn’t driven the car (aside from back and forth in the driveway) since before I did the alternator and PCV overhaul. Even though it still has that small tear in the PCV elbow for the time being, I took it out to see hows the trans felt.

It drives so nicely now. I can’t wait to fix the hatch trim. Then the car is going to feel so dialed. At that point I can start thinking about what’s next in terms of suspension and interior detailing.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #36
Coupid
Board Member

Really simple little improvement tonight:

What was left of the splash pan versus the new one lol.

Now I’m waiting for the hatch repair kit and various trim clips from IPD. Since I don’t think they have shipped yet, I’m planning to pull the front seats and really clean the carpet tomorrow night. Can’t wait for that!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #37
Coupid
Board Member

Fitted the new PCV elbow. Now 100% split free!

I also bought all new clips for the cowl weatherstripping so I could refit that bit of rubber on the firewall.

Finally I pulled the hatch trim panel expecting to install IPDs metal reinforcement kit. I was surprised to find that was already fitted and all I had to do was replace the four plastic clips at the top of the panel since they had all broken. Don’t slam your rear hatches people!!! Can’t wait to take the car out and see what a rattle free rear end sounds like.

Next up has to be pulling the seats and carpet for cleaning. After that I wont be able to put off doing the heater core any longer...
Old 08-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #38
brickborg
Board Member

Dig this wagon- nice work man!
brickborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #39
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickborg View Post
Dig this wagon- nice work man!
Thank you!

I fitted the new windshield trim (shoutout to white855T!) which looks infinitely better than the originals. Now I just need to respray the rest of the door trim black since a lot of the paint has rubbed off over the years.

I gave the wagon (really need a solid nickname for the project) a bath since I hadnít washed her since she took over the garage bay. In order to aid in drying and because I wanted to see how nice the no longer rattling hatch trim panel sounded I went for a little cruise up Hwy154 by our house. All the work of the last few weeks has really paid off. The car was super happy with the new alternator, fresh PCV system and trans mount. It felt great to get out for a quick cruise.

Iím going to go kinda OEM+ with the car at least for the near term.

Hydras
IPD Sways
Lowering springs likely IPD again here
Billy HDs

That should make it awesome to drive. After that I can maybe do a few smog legalish engine mods boost controller, cat back exhaust, boost and AFR gauges and then start building a backup 93+ B230ft in case the original one decides to let go.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #40
Coupid
Board Member

I lied, there were a few more little cosmetic projects before I get serious about either the suspension or the heater core.

So this shoelace wasn’t going to work for me:

Found a replacement on eBay. But when I was pulling the glovebox, I found the original missing arm:

All sorted out:

Excuse the horrific lighting but I also sourced a third brake light cover:

Really ties the room together so to speak.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #41
Coupid
Board Member

Last night I struck a deal for some wheels to replace the dracos and their terrible off brand tires.

Now I’m really scrapping the bottom of the easy cosmetic project barrel as I try desperately to put off a big IPD order...

Sometimes during a cold start the car will die if I shifted into reverse without letting it warm up for 30 seconds or so. Given the state of the PCV I thought it would make sense to clean the IAC. It was an easy if messy job and this afternoon when I fired it up the idle seemed a lot stronger. Will need a few more cold starts before I call it cured. Here is a terrible photo of the cleaned IAC:

After that, I got sick of this view greeting my every time I go into the garage so I decided to do something about it

Much better

Forgot to do the driver’s side. It’s in much better shape but there are a few spots that could use touching up.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #42
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
After that, I got sick of this view greeting my every time I go into the garage so I decided to do something about it

Much better

Forgot to do the driverís side. Itís in much better shape but there are a few spots that could use touching up.
Did you just use touch-up paint or what was the secret?

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #43
gottarollwithit
Cooks with motor oil

Looks good. I started with basically the same as what ya got.

Time for an MBC that's readily removable and a 15g with a conical flange and a Yoshifab WG bracket. Forget the exhaust mods, not really worth the small gains. You'll get the 15g past smog no prob (the turbo will literally say Volvo on it). Might be worthwhile to grab a spare AMM and perhaps clean your current one.

Be sure to hook up with Jonathan (SwedishIron). He's got a lot of 740 stuff that'll keep ya running for years and years.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #44
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
Did you just use touch-up paint or what was the secret?
Iím embarrassed to say it was plastidip but hear me out. The car will mostly be garages and that stuff lays down so nicely you can hardly even tell. If it wears out too quickly Iíll properly mask sand and paint it but iirc itís hard to get anything to adhere well. With plastidip I could just rub off the overspray with a microfiber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottarollwithit View Post
Looks good. I started with basically the same as what ya got.

Time for an MBC that's readily removable and a 15g with a conical flange and a Yoshifab WG bracket. Forget the exhaust mods, not really worth the small gains. You'll get the 15g past smog no prob (the turbo will literally say Volvo on it). Might be worthwhile to grab a spare AMM and perhaps clean your current one.

Be sure to hook up with Jonathan (SwedishIron). He's got a lot of 740 stuff that'll keep ya running for years and years.
Thatís basically what I did on my 780. Even a boost controller on its own Really wakes up the car. Definitely wonít be swapping turbos until I had another engine ready to drop in too if needed.

The hockey puck style engine mount brackets arrived tonight. Is there any reason to get genuine Volvo rubber mounts or are the aftermarket ones okay.

On a related note should I spring for the Volvo heater core that is all
Metal or is the plastic capped Nissens one okay?
Old 09-03-2020, 12:11 AM   #45
redblockpowered
Board Member

Quote:
On a related note should I spring for the Volvo heater core that is all
Metal or is the plastic capped Nissens one okay?
Buy once, cry once!

As for engine setup, I'm extremely satisfied with my 13C+cam+tune arrangement and very infrequently find myself wanting more. The chassis is lacking in that regard.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:50 AM   #46
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Buy once, cry once!

As for engine setup, I'm extremely satisfied with my 13C+cam+tune arrangement and very infrequently find myself wanting more. The chassis is lacking in that regard.
Thatís what I was thinking especially as someone who has done a heater core on a 700 series before but given the price difference I was hoping the Nissen one would have rave reviews. Wishful thinking lol
Old 09-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #47
Acke
Board Member

Nice looking wagon! I put a Nissens in my 940 9 years ago and replaced it last year because I tought it leaked. Turned out it was just the hose. Put in a Nissens again since it was only 20€ and the original was 300€ (non AC)... It doesn't heat as well as the original and I've read about other people having it fail.
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #48
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acke View Post
Nice looking wagon! I put a Nissens in my 940 9 years ago and replaced it last year because I tought it leaked. Turned out it was just the hose. Put in a Nissens again since it was only 20Ä and the original was 300Ä (non AC)... It doesn't heat as well as the original and I've read about other people having it fail.
The price difference is similar here. 9 years (and could have been longer it sounds like) is a very solid run. I'll have to keep pondering which way to go.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #49
Coupid
Board Member

I was looking for something to do this evening and realized I never pulled out the air filter. It looked fine but I figured that while I was in there I could do a little more.

There were a ton of leaves and nuts underneath the lower air box so I decided to pull that thing out too to clean. In the course of pulling the air box, I pulled the intercooler and drained a lot less oil out of it than I would have guessed was in there.

As I was pulling the lower air box out I noticed that I had pulled a windshield fluid hose off something and it was now leaking onto the ground. After fully removing the air box it wasn’t clear to me where the hose plugged in. I see the two pumps which I’m assuming are for the front and rear glass.

But there is this random T with one end now unplugged that I can’t figure out.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #50
Coupid
Board Member

In typical TB fashion I made the snap decision to order the fun parts first instead of doing the heater core. IPD had their Labor Day sale so I picked up a set of sways, lowering springs and billy HDs.

While waiting for that to show up I wanted to start digging into the AC. The system is fully charged but the compressor doesn’t engage. I don’t hear the AC compressor delay relay clicking so I am going to start there.

The car developed an inconsistent idle after the intercooler was pulled so I was searching around the crusty old vacuum lines for an issue...

This looks questionable:

Ahh yes a giant tear:

Makes sense since I was moving that stuff around a ton cleaning the IAC, replacing the PCV system and pulling the IC.

That was an easy fix since I already had some replacement vacuum line in my garage. Idle seems a lot smoother now.