home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Bigjake34452

Default First time Volvo owner, Regina with no injector pulse

First I’d like to say this is an insanely informative website, very glad this is here. I have searched this out for a while and still not sure what to do next. I have spark the car will fire up on ether, tach signal jumps while cranking but doesn’t seem to bounce the same amount consistently (normal?) I have no injector pulse confirmed with noid light.. it has new RSR and also have bypassed a couple times to try it, new crank sensor, new coil. Fuel pump works and I have 12v at both of the pins on injector harness even while unplugged. Car is Rex/Regina.. any help is greatly appreciated thank you
Bigjake34452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Bigjake34452

New development.. tach no longer bounces, getting another cps in the AM
Old 09-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Bigjake34452

Flex plate tone ring failure is not a common thing I assume? Just brain storming why a new cps would have intermittent signal.. good grounds and 2 different ecus, new ignition module and coil
Old 09-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
Lazarus
Board Member

The tac signal comes from the ignition module (coil, amplifier, etc.). No crank sensor and no ignition signal from the ECM, no tac signal are all related and should leave a code if one is missing. No tac signal means no spark from ignition module. I would get that system running before worrying about the injectors. Injectors have 1 wire constant 12v which routes through the radio suppression relay. The other (control) injector wire comes from the ECM. A ground signal on the injector control wire operates the injector, so don't look at the constant 12v for testing.

History on this car?? Did it ever run? Did it stop running all of a sudden? Suggestion: don't throw random parts at the car and hope something works. You currently have no tac which means no spark. That could be an ignition module, or no signal to the ignition module. Find out which it is.

-L
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
nyalex
Board Member

In Regina cars tach movement while cranking, or thelack thereof, is NOT a reliable indicator of cps function. Some cars do it, some do it intermittently, and some never. My 92 740 w/regina has a dead tach until the engine actually starts.

Bigjake, you said you checked before and had spark. For your piece of mind you can check again while you have no tach movement. Unfortunately I haven't had any injector issues on my car so I don't have any first hand experience. The only idea that comes to mind is the fuel pump relay, which actually has two relays inside of it. One runs the fuel pump, the other one powers up the injection system. I don't know enough about it to know if 12v at the injectors means its working. You could always reflow that injector since thats a free, 20 minute fix and maybe you get lucky. Hopefully someone that knows more can point you in the right direction.
nyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Bigjake34452

Has spark all the time, rechecked to be certain. Only code is 2-2-3 for the IAC not sure if there is a clue there, I will look at the fuel pump relay I didn’t suspect it since the fuel pump does operate thank you
Old 09-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Bigjake34452

Update, swapped fp relay and now I have injector pulse woot woot, just bought this car so figuring this out as I go, P.O. installed new fuel pump so he says, but I opened up the fuel line and it’s no where near high pressure, just lazily comes out, new fp coming in the am
Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #8
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Update, swapped fp relay and now I have injector pulse woot woot
Silly little double-relay. One output powers the other half of the relay, AND the IAC, AND the Radio Interference Relay, which supplies power to the injectors, AND pin 9 of the fuel ECU. The other output supplies fuse 11, which powers the fuel pump(s).

Quote:
P.O. installed new fuel pump so he says, but I opened up the fuel line and it’s no where near high pressure, just lazily comes out, new fp coming in the am
I wonder if the "new" pump assembly might have popped apart like mine did last year. Details in post #7 of my fuel pump adventure... http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=352310

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
500,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
Bigjake34452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Silly little double-relay. One output powers the other half of the relay, AND the IAC, AND the Radio Interference Relay, which supplies power to the injectors, AND pin 9 of the fuel ECU. The other output supplies fuse 11, which powers the fuel pump(s).

I wonder if the "new" pump assembly might have popped apart like mine did last year. Details in post #7 of my fuel pump adventure... http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=352310
Thank you very much for this tip, even if it seems snug im going to secure it like you did. Are those fuel dampeners known for failure? I used to take them off when I played with Toyota’s
Old 09-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Bigjake34452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

Well holy crap.. this site is absolutely priceless. Fuel pump situation was exactly as you said. Thank you guys very much! Between the relay and the fuel pump situation it’s up and running like a dream.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:58 AM   #11
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjake34452 View Post
Well holy crap.. this site is absolutely priceless. Fuel pump situation was exactly as you said. Thank you guys very much! Between the relay and the fuel pump situation it’s up and running like a dream.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote