home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #26
4-cyl
In too deep

Your progress is looking great. The braided k-jet fuel lines are high on my list of purchases to be made. It's nice seeing someone else interested in keeping the original fuel system alive.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cyl View Post
Your progress is looking great. The braided k-jet fuel lines are high on my list of purchases to be made. It's nice seeing someone else interested in keeping the original fuel system alive.
Thanks. I am hoping to have the car back this weekend but I have relatives coming in from out of town so I doubt I will get much done.

Unfortunately the steel braided lines will have to wait. I have other non Volvo related projects that also tap into my resources. With warmer weather approaching I will be stretched to have this project road worthy in 7 weeks!

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 724 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default Paint Update!

I received the car back from the paint shop. . . . well at least most of it. The painter still owes me the rad support, bumpers, sunroof and front air dam plus he will need to perform some touch ups. I would say I am fairly pleased with his work. He wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive but his work turned out decent. The attached photos make the color look grey but I the car is in fact silver.

Tomorrow will be a busy day Followed by several weeks of busy days

My plan is to have this think back together in 7 weeks. Keep in mind I do have a day job, a wife and an 8 month old! We shall see how it goes. wish me luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #29
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Looks good from here!
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #30
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Looks good from here!
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #31
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Is a red pin stripe in the works?
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #32
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
Is a red pin stripe in the works?
Probably not. But thanks for the input.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #33
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default Progress Update

Its been a few days and I have had the time to begin to reassemble the engine bay. I had to repair a bunch of wires which had crumbling insulation but for the most part things have moved along fairly well.

I have attached a couple of photos from my project.

I have found I needed a couple piece of side molding (Pass Door, Drivers Fender) as well as a couple of Rain gutter trim junctions. In addition I am not sure how the wires for the engine bay lamp (mounted to the hood) and the after market intercooler harness was routed through the fire wall. I have highligted what I know goes where which doesn't leave any open access ports that I am aware of. Perhaps one of you can chyme in?

I should be on track to install the engine this weekend.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #34
Sharingan 19
Board Member

"Intercooler harness" ?
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #35
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
"Intercooler harness" ?
Probably bad wording.

When the aftermarket intercooler was installed from volvo it came with a wiring harness which connected to the ignition coil to a relay which switches on a solenoid value which bleeds some pressure to the waste gate at a specific RPM.

This "harness" needs to be routed through the firewall to pin fuse 12. I cant seem to remember how it was routed. The installation instructions are fairly vague.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #36
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default Doors Reassembled

The project has progressed well the past few days. I was able to finish assembling the doors which included the; window regulator, latch, striker, door handles, key cylinder, weather strip seal, glass, window scrapers, mirrors, and black surrounding trim as well as the always fun task of aligning the latch and striker.

The interior trim panel will have to wait until I get a couple of 4" speakers.

The window scrapers where a major pita to separate the rubber from the steel but after a light sanding and wash the came out looking really good. Installing the new window scrapers (courtesy of Mr. Redwood Chair) may have given me a little carpel tunnel but once they were in they looked great.

here a photo of the drivers side door.

I still need to sand and paint the "b" pillar as well as finish painting the mirrors I bought from PunKKnuckle24.

This weekend the motor will be going back into the engine bay!

In addition, the door and fender molding I was able to get for free which is always a treat when get rare free stuff.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #37
wisturbo
ⒼⒺⓉ ⓇⒶⒹ

Incredible turn around time! The paint looks really nice!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #38
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisturbo View Post
Incredible turn around time! The paint looks really nice!
Thanks here is some more for you

My father Viktor helping out as usual

Saturday will hopefully be a productive day as I hope to test fire the engine and break in the cam then.

But I still have a long way to go.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #39
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default Cam has been broken in

Well I finally got all the vacuum connects, wiring, and coolant and oil lines connected.

I had to repair a few broken wires, bypass a faulty boost overpressure switch (I may be looking for a new one) and find out the ins to the distributor have pulled out of the connector, to get this.

Broke in the new cam and found out the reman power steering pump leaks.

Last edited by smoothdurban; 08-05-2014 at 08:11 AM..
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #40
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default On the road and running strong

After 9 months of work my 242 is back on the road . . . . more or less.

Saturday was a final garage day for my car. Between Friday night and Saturday afternoon I was able to complete some finishing touches.
  • wired in media player
  • connected power antenna
  • evacuated and charged AC system. (burr burr blows cold now!)
  • installed engine splash guard
  • balanced and installed new tires
  • had an alignment done
  • adjusted brake booster rod to lessen travel of brake pedal
  • replaced a stuck frequency vlave relay - buzz buzz

I still need to
  • replace all u joints and drive shaft carrier
  • repair seat lumbar
  • replace seat belts (They don't retract well)
  • replace dash speaker grille (looking for a blue one)

Here she is at home

and the engine bay

ANd this is what I started with

Not bad for nine months. She is fast but working with the spec clutch will take some getting used to as it grabs all or nothing.

I may need to get some stiffer engine mounts.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #41
uberbrick
Board Member

Great project and a very nice result!
uberbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #42
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Looks really good!
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
mbolton1990
Board Member

Awesome!

mbolton1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
83glt
Board Member

Congratulations! That'll make a fine summer DD in Ontario and will surely turn heads.

Where did you get the replacement floor pans by the way? I will be needing some of those!
83glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #45
didenpx
Board Member

Now come finish my car. Please.

1970 1800E (Project Roedluvan:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=1970)
1977 242DL "Senf" (Summer Cruiser)
2x1973 1800 ES (Project Reanimator; disassembly and parts detailing to begin Winter 2020)
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #46
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83glt View Post
Congratulations! That'll make a fine summer DD in Ontario and will surely turn heads.

Where did you get the replacement floor pans by the way? I will be needing some of those!
fixmyrust.com has the rust repair panels you need.

Summer DD with working AC I might add ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by didenpx View Post
Now come finish my car. Please.
hehe I wish I could but after this last build I don't think my wife will approve.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #47
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Very nice work!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #48
spourcyrous
Board Member

Awesome. For some reason, the coffin hood has been growing on me lately.
spourcyrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #49
didenpx
Board Member

Thanks for the lead on fixmyrust.com; that's a new one for me. The prices for the 240 repair panels are insanely cheap!
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #50
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default 5000 km Update!

Just as an update

I have just driven over 5,000 km (3,000 miles) since putting this car back on the road and as expected I have had a couple of hiccups as well as some upgrades.

Voltage Regulator
My rebuilt alternator had the voltage regulator came loose causing me to lose electrical charging. I guess the guy who rebuilt my alternator didn't tighten the two screws that hold the regulator to the alternator and as one of them completed backed out. Fortunately the car has a voltage gauge and I was able to notice the problem before my battery was completely drained.

Universal Joints
I replaced all three U joints on the drive shaft as well as ensured the shaft was installed in the correct balanced and phased positon. The car drives smooth with no vibration at highway speeds.

Alternator Pulley
I noticed my voltage dropping again followed by a ridiculous metal on metal sound coming from the engine. It turns out my trusty alternator rebuilder did not install the woodroff key so the pulley spun loose on the shaft. I was able to install a key and I have not had any problems since.

Gas Tank
I replaced the original, internally rusted gas tank with a good used one and after a few hundred miles it began to leak :(. Needless to say I had to replace the tank with a new one I got from Cross Canada for about $200. Fortunately all of the clamps and hose were new so this didn't take a long time.

Engine Mounts
After a few weeks of use I notice the cheapo engine mounts I had just wouldn't cut it and I needed to replace my engine mounts with something a little more robust. I ended up going with the 240 volvo OEM diesel mounts for $50 from Tasca.

Muffler & Tail Pipe
The baffling inside my muffler had come loose and created an annoying ratting sound (Kind of like a vibrating heat shield). The tailpipe was fine but for $20 I wasn't going to try to wrestle it loose from the old rusted muffler so I bought a new one. I was able to get a muffler and Tailpipe from FCP for around $50!

Suspension Bushings
I replaced all the suspension bushings with polyurethane bushings from IPD. The original bushing were still in driveable condition but I figured after 30+ years it might be a good idea to replace them. This was a major PITA as some of the bolts were seized to the inner part of the bushing which resulted in me needing to burn out the old rubber and cut out the bolt. Has anyone noticed that if you buy the bushings individually from IPD they are cheaper then the whole kit?

Radiator
The day I was working on the bushings I noticed a little coolant on the splash guard so I traced where it could be coming from at sure enough it was leaking from the upper radiator port. I thought perhaps I didn't tighten the clamp so I tried to tighten it a little more and sure enough the plastic port broke. Fortunately I had a spare 2 core sitting around to keep me running while I keep my eyes open for an all metal 3 core.

Grille
Some one stole the grille off my 240 but I was able to get a replacement off of the form for under $50!

Wiper Motor
The wiper motor would at times, not shut off or return to proper home position. I had a good used one and since then have not had a problem.

Upgraded Lighting
I upgraded the lighting system to use the H4 type light bulbs for low beam lights. I also got some white H4 bulbs that really make early morning driving a little more visible. A huge improvement over the old style sealed beam lights.

LED Dash Lights
I changed the instrument panel and dash lights to LED lights and they have really brightened up some rather dull gauges.

Things I am thinking of doing. . . . . . .

B21FT Cold Air Intake
I have been thinking of performing this upgrade but I can't seem to find 2.75" ID PVC piping anywhere. I have looked at possibly using silicone piping to do this but it comes out to around $30.

Wheel Spacers
I have noticed that the rear wheels sit a little to far in the to the well (for my liking) and I was thinking of getting some 1" spacers to push them out a bit. I am curious how this would look or if it would be at all doable without rolling the fenders. Any input would be appriciated.

The above list of repair items should be an eye opener to anyone that wants to take a 30+ year old car and use it as a DD. I was prepared for additional repairs but I think a lot of people buy $1000 Brick and expect it to run forever without sinking a buck into it. These cars will run for a long time but the need to be maintained.

Below is a current photo of the car