home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #76
redblockpowered
Board Member

My dad had to drive this car for a few days after the 240 blew a tire, and as a "thank you" gift he surprised me with a new steering wheel! Very generous. The old one was mostly delaminated, worn smooth, and honestly had to go.

The airbag had definitely been out before, in fact the sticker on the door jamb seems to suggest it was actually replaced on schedule in 2008. Guess I can feel safe for a few more years.

I had originally planned to give refurbishing the cruise control stalk a go so it could have a prayer of working, but the switch seems to be riveted together and not serviceable. Lots of mildly gross dust up in this part of the car.

A nice left horn button coming with the wheel was a big plus. Good to see the original texture on the wheel almost all the way around.

Oh, and scored this thing on eBay for $40:

Hard to see, but it's a 16T off of a (01-04?) C70. The ad didn't make it clear whether it was a 16T or 14T so I gambled (or maybe looked up the half of the part number that wasn't obscured) and won.

It's admittedly a little sloppy, but should work.

Having now owned and seen in person all three Volvo TD04HL turbine housings at one point from various eBay/CL deals I am pretty determined to make the angled flange work. If I end up scoring another conical turbine housing it might make it on there as a temporary measure. If you put an angled turbine housing on your car, please let me know what you ended up doing...
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #77
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Have you rebuilt any of the TD04 turbos before? CHRA common I believe to most..... I used a factory MITSU overhaul kit, and followed the video from ARD Tuning, which might still be up even tho they apparently don't exist any more. Cheapie ChiWanNese kits are out there for 1/3 the price, but I always try to buy the best as you won't be disappointed with quality.

Good luck with the angled housing..... I used a flat flange 7cm housing on my 19t, and would not have wanted the trouble to fit that flange to the DP on a 7/9. Seen pics of several, and I don't care for the aesthetics of that swap myself.... (Engineer OCD).

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #78
Coupid
Board Member

Just read through the entire thread. Great project and lots of helpful information for M90 swaps and suspension. Thanks!
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #79
90volvo
Board Member

I have angled flange 19T. Will admit the muffler shop had a tough time with it. Working on it; I figured out, dont put long stud on it. It will make it a royal pain to remove. I replace the long studs for some short one and now it a piece of cake. Bad thing about the angled flange is nothing else will bolt up to it. Im max out on 19T and would like to upgrade but Ill have to change the downpipe. Dont think the ex. shop will want to do it. LEt me know if you have any questions.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 AM   #80
Swedbrick
Board Member

You could also look for a 13g or 15t with the straight housing, swap them and sell of the turbo again. It should bring about the same in price and save you on the exhaust work
Old 08-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #81
redblockpowered
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Just read through the entire thread. Great project and lots of helpful information for M90 swaps and suspension. Thanks!
Glad to hear it, thanks! Really appreciate hearing that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
I have angled flange 19T. Will admit the muffler shop had a tough time with it. Working on it; I figured out, dont put long stud on it. It will make it a royal pain to remove. I replace the long studs for some short one and now it a piece of cake. Bad thing about the angled flange is nothing else will bolt up to it. Im max out on 19T and would like to upgrade but Ill have to change the downpipe. Dont think the ex. shop will want to do it. LEt me know if you have any questions.
The studs on the housing where it connects to the downpipe? That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
You could also look for a 13g or 15t with the straight housing, swap them and sell of the turbo again. It should bring about the same in price and save you on the exhaust work
It would definitely be easier to make the straight flange work, planning on that as a backup plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Have you rebuilt any of the TD04 turbos before? CHRA common I believe to most..... I used a factory MITSU overhaul kit, and followed the video from ARD Tuning, which might still be up even tho they apparently don't exist any more. Cheapie ChiWanNese kits are out there for 1/3 the price, but I always try to buy the best as you won't be disappointed with quality.

Good luck with the angled housing..... I used a flat flange 7cm housing on my 19t, and would not have wanted the trouble to fit that flange to the DP on a 7/9. Seen pics of several, and I don't care for the aesthetics of that swap myself.... (Engineer OCD).
I had originally intended on the straight flange, figuring it would be easier to make a downpipe for it, and I do have a rebuild kit for it but have not rebuilt one of these before. I changed my plan a bit when I saw this: https://martelius.com/en/exhausts/jt...nklad-turbohus as well as being tempted by the enormous outlet on the angled flange, particularly relative to the very high temperature (and low density) of that area. I could be overthinking it though.

I'd love to see some dyno testing of angled vs flat vs conical turbine housings on the same car. Would be curious to know how much of a difference it makes.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #82
Grendel

It's interesting to see how many folks are from New England.

Keep at the build.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:29 AM   #83
redblockpowered
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
It's interesting to see how many folks are from New England.

Keep at the build.
I'm surprised at how many I still see every day that appear to just be used like regular cars. It's a testament to the build quality of these things.

Not too much to report. Drove the car, washed the car, drove the car, washed the car. Oil change up soon, so taking a stab at fixing some small oil leaks. Underside and back of the engine is oily, as is expected. I have to add a quart every 1200-1500 miles which I'd like to stop doing. Took the distributor off and found evidence of leakage along with a ton of thrust play in the distributor shaft. I had another one lying around, much tighter and no evidence of leaks. Means I can't sell it, but I would rather enjoy reduced oil leaks than $30.

Excited to ask for oil advice and then do my own research, proceeding to buy something not recommended by anyone.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #84
shoestring
Board Member

Shouldn't you be in class?
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #85
redblockpowered
Board Member

At half past midnight? I hope not.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #86
redblockpowered
Board Member

Why doesn't the A/C work?

Ah, that'll do it.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #87
redblockpowered
Board Member

FedEx says my shiny new Bilstein HDs should be here tomorrow. Exciting!

I wonder how this setup (~170lb wheel rates, stock height, 25/19 bars) compares to the typical IPD springs/lowered car/25mm sway bars arrangement.

This car feels like it could use more front roll stiffness, I'd say. I've heard some forms of Ranger/Explorer front sway bar fit(and are hollow, maybe?), may take a trip to the junkyard for research purposes before it gets cold. One chassis thing at a time, though.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:44 AM   #88
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
FedEx says my shiny new Bilstein HDs should be here tomorrow. Exciting!

I wonder how this setup (~170lb wheel rates, stock height, 25/19 bars) compares to the typical IPD springs/lowered car/25mm sway bars arrangement.

This car feels like it could use more front roll stiffness, I'd say. I've heard some forms of Ranger/Explorer front sway bar fit(and are hollow, maybe?), may take a trip to the junkyard for research purposes before it gets cold. One chassis thing at a time, though.
You’ll love them! Excited to hear your thoughts.
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote