home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
240Redblock
Board Member

Default I miss my late style side-view mirrors, any solutions?

My DD is an 85 245, but I really miss how much bigger the subsequent side-views are. It's there any way to (simply) modify 86+ or a good afternarket replacement for these that fits my doors?
240Redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Redblock View Post
My DD is an 85 245, but I really miss how much bigger the subsequent side-views are. It's there any way to (simply) modify 86+ or a good afternarket replacement for these that fits my doors?
I did it on an 83 wagon. I had to file down the bottom of the mounting triangle pieces where the mirrors attach.

If you still have the 82-85 style trim under the windows, the 86+ mirrors will still fit with a little fettling.

Take off the original mirror and hold an 86+ mirror up to the frame and you should see what you need to do.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
240Redblock
Board Member

Great, I figured that's what I'd end up doing if there's no better option. I'll get it settled this weekend, thanks!
Old 06-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

It's about as bolt-on a mod as you could hope for. Back when I did it to my '85 the electric versions were less common.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:51 AM   #5
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

A '73 145 with '76 doors and '87 mirrors. Did it in 2001.

Next car to get the late mirrors was my old black '82 242Ti. Did this at the October 2004 OVT work day in Albany, Oregon. Used mirrors from an '88 244DL. Planned to upgrade the housings to heated power, using the guts from 1986-87 760 mirrors, since they still used the older style mirror connectors, but car wound up being totaled out before I had a chance to do that project. 1993 240s were also mainly going to the full-service yards at the time, so I didn't do it until the replacement of this car received 1990 doors.

1985 245Ti. Found a complete set of silver doors and tailgate on a 1990 245DL that was hit in the front. At the time of this pic, the car still had the manual mirrors on it. Didn't get the power parts until the end of 2010. Wound up reverting back to manual mirrors when I sold the car to someone else in June 2011.

Current 245, back when it looked more like lookforjoe's wagon, with the toy bumpers and rack. 1993 heated mirrors. Used the set I'd saved from the silver 245 on this one.

Latest car I've done. My 242Ti.

Anyway:

To do the swap, you'll need to pull the door panels to gain access to any wiring, if you're going to do power mirrors, and to install the sail panel covers, either way. Remove the backing plates for the mirrors as well.

The small hole that's next to the large center hole will need to be drilled all the way through, then, you'll need to enlarge the hole on the outer side of the sail panel.
Another hole, diagonally across to the hole you enlarged, will need to be drilled. Again, drill with the same bit you used to make the initial bore through on the preexisting hole, then drill from the other side, but don't go all the way through.
On the bottom of the main hole, you'll need to hog it out a bit and bring it over to the lower hole you drilled for the mirror mounting boss to fit through.
Modify 1981-85 scraper seal trim, or delete that, if you car has it, and run 1986-93 scraper seal trim pieces, which are cut shorter to fit the later mirrors in place.
Next, run any power mirror wiring (if you decide to add power mirrors).
Mount mirrors using hardware, and, if manual, add the support bracket for the joystick, clipping the joystick to the bracket using the clip.
Test power mirror wiring out.
Mark where the hole for the sail panel cover's pin goes. Drill that.
Install sail panel cover.
Reinstall door panel.

Note: some late 1985 cars may already be drilled for the later mirrors. We had a Canadian spec 1985 245DL that was manufactured after the 1986 model run had started up at Torslanda. It had 1986 doors, but with the earlier latch in the driver's door, the earlier scraper seal trim, old style paddle mirrors, and there were no trim pieces at the bottoms of the doors. Said car also had a 1986 B230F engine installed in it from the factory in Halifax, NS.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46.

@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
240Redblock
Board Member

Thanks for that deep dive, also beautiful collection (if a little monochromatic)! This one is an early 85 from Halifax and they aren't pre-drilled for the late style (hence the posting) but I'll follow your directions and it'll be smooth sailing from here.

I prefer the manual mirrors anyway, especially considering that only my '82 245 GLT and '82 242 are the only ones I've ever had with electric.

Thanks again! I'll get on it this week and send you an update.