• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 engine swap suggestions

Bjørn

I just got rod knock in my '90 240 which eventually lead to me blowing a hole straight through the side of my block. Any suggestions for what to do next? Replace the B230F block and stay stock? Go turbo? Would appreciate all and any ideas for a way to deal with this cheaply/efficiently and ideally give me some increased performance from a normal B230F.

I just got rod knock in my '90 240 which eventually lead to me blowing a hole straight through the side of my block. Any suggestions for what to do next? Replace the B230F block and stay stock? Go turbo? Would appreciate all and any ideas for a way to deal with this cheaply/efficiently and ideally give me some increased performance from a normal B230F.

You'll get more answers if you invest a little time and tell us more about the context..Who, what, where, when, how and why..
location age budget car end use, goals..
The more you tell us, the better the answers you get..
Post a tweet, get a meme in response.

You'll get more answers if you invest a little time and tell us more about the context..Who, what, where, when, how and why..
location age budget car end use, goals..
The more you tell us, the better the answers you get..
Post a tweet, get a meme in response.

Definitely don?t listen to this guy.

What you need to do is replace it with a new b230f engine and install all the turbo bits from a b230ft engine. You could also just install a b230ft but the added torque from converting an NA engine to a turbo engine is totally worth it for a daily driver. Don?t forget to grab the computers and transmission from the turbo car doner too.

For simplicity's sake, source a b230ft engine with aw71 trans(do the accumulator mod for more crisp shifting). This is a low budget approach that anyone with a half a brain(or less :lol:) can accomplish. When you get tired of the autotragic trans, do a manual swap (your choice, t5, getrag, m90?), depends on what's available to you.

B230FT swap was exactly what I was thinking. Just slightly nervous as that would be by far my most ambitious mechanical project to date. Found a donor 1991 940 with an AW71 on craigslist. Wondering whether or not that is a good choice to pull from and what random bits and pieces I don't wanna forget. Keeping in mind my car is a '90 240 is it as simple as remove current setup, insert new one. Apologize for my naivety and appreciate any expertise my fellow Volvo enthusiasts can throw my way.

Use Google to search the forum. Type "b230ft swap site:turbobricks.com" and you'll get good results.

Swap is very straight forward as far as swaps go. Its mostly plug and play aside from swapping your 240 distributor, extending amm wires to where they would be in a turbo setup, maybe shifter bits, other small things that will be easy to figure out when they're both in front of you. '91 has the intercooler you want for your 240.

Buy the donor car and you will get all the parts you need(well, mostly). You need the auxiliary shaft from a 240 engine, this is what drives the distributor. On 740/940, the distributor is driven by the cam shaft which will not work as the firewall in a 240 will not permit it. Once you remove the distributor on donor engine, you will need to plug the hole on the cylinder head. Your 240 engine will have the plug on the cylinder head. Take pictures of how everything is situated in the turbo car so that when you do the swap you will know where everything goes. Most people go to using a electric fan for the radiator as this is the easiest option. The electric fan can be found on 92 740s, 92-95 940s.

The swap is pretty easy. With enough time and patience, you’ll get it. Hardest part is the oil return usually but since you’re pulling the engine anyway, it’ll be very easy to remove the pan and drill for the return.

Don’t forget to re seal the whole b230ft while it’s out. Oh, and I don’t think the oil cooler setup is a direct swap into a 240 from a 940, so you can totally omit it. But you’ll need to use the shorter oil filter housing stud from the b230f engine. Someone correct me if I’m wrong there.

The swap is pretty easy. With enough time and patience, you?ll get it. Hardest part is the oil return usually but since you?re pulling the engine anyway, it?ll be very easy to remove the pan and drill for the return.

Don?t forget to re seal the whole b230ft while it?s out. Oh, and I don?t think the oil cooler setup is a direct swap into a 240 from a 940, so you can totally omit it. But you?ll need to use the shorter oil filter housing stud from the b230f engine. Someone correct me if I?m wrong there.

The oil filter extension arm fits with a stock down pipe or even a 3 inch down pipe. The issue is the oil cooler lines. The lines will need to be modified to work or just source a 240 turbo oil cooler setup if you're not up for modifying parts.

The oil filter extension arm fits with a stock down pipe or even a 3 inch down pipe. The issue is the oil cooler lines. The lines will need to be modified to work or just source a 240 turbo oil cooler setup if you're not up for modifying parts.

Ah makes sense. Though it can be omitted for simplicity sake (but an oil cooler is always a good idea).

Back