• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

West Coast "Road Kill" style run...

sspony

Mods, feel free to move this to where ever you see fit. I couldn't decide where to post it haha.

So I'm in the early stages of planning a vacation/trip to the west coast this summer. The plan was to fly into Seattle, rent a car, and slowly make our way down the I-5 corridor to LA stopping along the way for the various sites/attractions. Probably going to be a 10-14 day trip.

Then... after watching one of my favorite shows (Roadkill) an idea came to me. Why not do this trip Roadkill style! Fly to Seattle, buy an inexpensive/fun car (volvo), drive it down the coast, sell it in LA and fly home. Post pictures/videos (Blog?) along the way and enjoy the experience. I'm sure it will result in at least one roadside repair. However in the end I'll probably end up with some good stories and might even come close to breaking even on the transportation costs of the roadtrip. Seems like a fun way to do the trip, so I thought i'd run the idea past the community to see what thoughts/ideas you all had.

Know of cars for sale, tips, ideas, thoughts, anyone looking to transport a car that wait until July? haha

Any and all feedback welcome!

Edit*
Vehicle profile:
1) $2k or less
2) Reliable
3) A/C

Edit*
Fly into Seattle July 25th
Fly out of LA August 8th

Last edited:
Haha, ok I better edit the post. A/C is a must! (According to the female representation of the travel group haha)

Sweet wagon though man!

Name one roadkill car with working a/c during the entire episode?

If you have a female, you can kiss the roadkill style road trip goodbye now. She will nag you to death when the car break down. Do your ears a favor and just get the rental.

Name one roadkill car with working a/c during the entire episode?

If you have a female, you can kiss the roadkill style road trip goodbye now. She will nag you to death when the car break down. Do your ears a favor and just get the rental.

You are a wise, wise man. The only way it will work is if our friends go along. That way the females can go shopping and complain about the car while the guys fix it haha. Or... I get a reliable car with A/C haha.

Jack, most tow trucks have a/c right? Haha

Y

Jack, most tow trucks have a/c right? Haha

lol

but I was reffering to the Roadkill one

rk-ramp-truck.jpg

You must have one hell of a woman. Its an interesting idea. Sounds that most of the guys on here that do road trips pack themselves a care pack of parts. Would suggest buying a car that you already know the quirks and have spares. However, selling a car is a royal pain in the butt which is on par of having a prostate exam.

1. Working phone with charger
  2. tools
  3. Spares
  4. Booze
  5. Cash
  6. AAA

All good suggestions! As for buying a car with some known history, that's where the bricks community comes in. Maybe even on the buying and selling.

As I said before, great way to get a car from A to B for free if you have a little patience.

This idea is still on the table. I have a lot of the trip details laid out now. Just need to determine the mode of transportation.
I've been looking around a bit and its difficult to find something interesting with A/C for a reasonable price.

Yea, we're planning to make some detours. Redwoods, Yosemite, crater lake, Olympic national rainforest, rt. 1 down the coast, etc. Planning for about 14 days to zig-zag our way down the coast.

I'll look into 101 as well, thanks for the tip!

So can you get like a 30-day temp plate or something?
I would line up a buyer for your exit strategy well in advance. Or at least a friendly tb'er to sell it for you.

Back