• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

N/A manifold J pipe, what year?

Sweep

I'm planning on doing an N/A manifold J/up pipe for my 940 turbo, just wondered whether there's any difference in terms of flow between the years B230's were made, much like a pre 1990 turbo manifold to a 1990+?

:nod: just make sure you use thick wall tubing like sched 40 when you do it, and brace it to the block.

You can also brace the J-pipe to the manifold itself.
The NA manifold is very good according to several s?varturbo members

Going for puls split/twin scroll?

What are you doing with you oil filter? No problem I think on 240's, needs relocating on 7/9's.

You can also brace the J-pipe to the manifold itself.
The NA manifold is very good according to several s?varturbo members

Going for puls split/twin scroll?

What are you doing with you oil filter? No problem I think on 240's, needs relocating on 7/9's.

Not twin scroll, no. HY35.

Ah now that's an issue I wasn't aware of, I assume there's clearance issues?

:nod: just make sure you use thick wall tubing like sched 40 when you do it, and brace it to the block.

What exactly is the reasoning behind bracing it? Concern over the strength of where the jpipe bolts to the manifold? I was advised not to brace mine when I built it (about 1k miles ago) to allow the pipe to properly expand and contract during heating and cooling. It makes sense to me that bracing it could damage the integrity of your pipe.

Not twin scroll, no. HY35.

Ah now that's an issue I wasn't aware of, I assume there's clearance issues?

Yes. The manifold outlet is right onto the stock 940 oil filter.

What exactly is the reasoning behind bracing it? Concern over the strength of where the jpipe bolts to the manifold? I was advised not to brace mine when I built it (about 1k miles ago) to allow the pipe to properly expand and contract during heating and cooling. It makes sense to me that bracing it could damage the integrity of your pipe.

The up-pipe is can be seen as a lever with a 10-15kg weight on the end(turbo). The engine is vibrating all the time, resulting in big forces at the flanges. Bracing your manifold reduces this lever effect.

The up-pipe is can be seen as a lever with a 10-15kg weight on the end(turbo). The engine is vibrating all the time, resulting in big forces at the flanges. Bracing your manifold reduces this lever effect.
:nod: The expansion and contraction of the exhaust isn't a crazy amount unless you're doing stainless. Plus you have only 2 pipes "merging" to the turbo flange instead of 4. 1/2 of the extra support from a well made manifold.

Last edited:
Hi Sweep
I was going to put a J pipe in my 240 but had to give up on the idea due to not having anywhere for the downpipe from the turbo to go. The n/a manifold takes up a lot of room & the brake booster takes up the rest. All the cars that have done it on here are left hand drive ( I know 'cos I asked) & most of the pics of it being done show the engine not in the car.
I know there is more room in a 940 but I'd double check to make sure. I'd got most of the stuff together to do it before I even thought about a downpipe.
Tim

even with the steering and such over there, you can put the turbo wherever you want, and as an extension, the downpipe. you could mount the turbo sideways and run the downpipe across and down on what yall call the passenger side ( ;) ), etc. If you go the traditional front to back way, I can see that being a tighter fit. On LHD cars, there's at least room for 2.5 in pipe going straight back and down, but I think with a little manipulation, 3 inch would work as well (going straight back and 90 at the firewall end. any creativity at all would probably have the dp routed elsewhere)

Back