• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ceramic piston top coating.

Shouldn't this discussion be happening in off topic or a ford forum?

I was under the impression that this was a Volvo forum.

Oh well....

Good point. Moved to OT.

The question was not about the engine until JVL took it off topic.
The question was about the technology.
A technology that applies to Volvo and any other engine.

It is a common modification for forced induction motors to reduce oil thermal loading AND increase detonation resistance as well as piston durability.

It's only off because JVL had to drag it there.
If JVL can just confine himself to the topic (unlikely) than there's no reason this can't live in performance...it is after all a performance modification.

I would agree that if kept on topic this is a valid discussion for the performance area, which let’s be honest is lacking for good conversations these days.

This focus better be +20hp after all those $1,000s you're investing.

Det resistance is milliseconds it's a moot issue between the coated vs not. There's high end car forums all over the interwebs that can attest to it. Lightly forced induction. No one I've ever known to run ceramic has run it in high boost applications. Drag965 tried that on it's 3500hp Lambo, being in Kuwait temps. Didn't work out. The heads had ceramic for lunch. Costly mistake.

I've done before and after testing on some highly strung little rally engines.
Both with essentially the same spec build, small power change but the coated engine runs cooler oil and water temps, but the turbo gets a harder time EGT are higher.
Can run more timing and antilag on coated engine.

Have done piston skirts with oil retaining high build coating, crowns,cc and exhaust ports with heat barrier, head(cam area) with oil shedding. turbo exhaust housing and dump pipe with whatever the high temp **** is.

The coated engine is a maximum effort build (whilst sticking mostly to the class rules)

I have another of the same engines in the build for rallycross car and that will get ALL the coatings, I may just be pulling my dick but every small gain helps esp. when we're pushing 200kw/lt

I've done before and after testing on some highly strung little rally engines.
Both with essentially the same spec build, small power change but the coated engine runs cooler oil and water temps, but the turbo gets a harder time EGT are higher.
Can run more timing and antilag on coated engine.

Have done piston skirts with oil retaining high build coating, crowns,cc and exhaust ports with heat barrier, head(cam area) with oil shedding. turbo exhaust housing and dump pipe with whatever the high temp **** is.

The coated engine is a maximum effort build (whilst sticking mostly to the class rules)

I have another of the same engines in the build for rallycross car and that will get ALL the coatings, I may just be pulling my dick but every small gain helps esp. when we're pushing 200kw/lt

The exhaust port coating held up?
Which one for that?

Yep, exhaust ports got the same as turbo etc

TC1 Turbo Coat Extreme
A significant step up in it’s temperature handling capabilities is HPC’s TC1 coating. Specifically designed for applications such as turbochargers where substrate temperatures can exceed 1300 degrees Celsius, in black only the coating helps maintain exhaust gas temperatures, increase flow velocity, aid cylinder scavenging and assist in preventing damage to hoses, belts and wiring harnesses. Indeed, it’s the experience of almost every V8 Supercar racer in the country, and race car owners in all areas of motorsport the world over, that has them coating exhaust systems.

Track testing has shown as much as a 30% reduction in under bonnet ambient temperatures and up to a 50% reduction in component skin temperature. HPC’s TC1 achieves this by creating a thermal barrier that retains heat, which in turbo charge applications assists to increase turbo boost and spool-up. Which is why today’s leading CART, NASCAR, IMSA, V8 SUPERCAR and F-1 Teams use HPC’s TC1 process.

Link to other coatings here
http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/coatings-2/#Engine-Coatings

Last edited:
Back