• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LED Taillight Conversion

jvluntzel

Hello all!

I had been having issues with my 91 740 wagon tail lights and decided I wanted to upgrade.

I made a little project out of it for fun :D

Instead of buying led bulbs that fit in the stock location, I wanted to get rid of that old school grounding rail and individual pins BS and convert to a waterproof plug.

I also I wanted to have options if I want to set up the lights differently in the future.

I made some pcb boards with 12 leds on each (2 channels of 6) - 3 leds in series with a 100 ohm resistor before hand. They are super bright :D

44887420341_c93bc8bc20_b.jpg

Seeing as this is my testing set, I didnt go too crazy with perfect fitment. As long as the lights were pointed correctly and centered, I hot glued those badboys in there. All circuitry waterproofed too.

44887423101_5feacfcf1d_b.jpg

As you can see my plug is attached also. Here is the how it goes:

43074862920_a18260f24f_b.jpg

And the test!

lights:

44887421991_a5e0251d42_b.jpg

Brakes:

44887421641_a381cd5182_b.jpg

Turn signals/flashers:

44887421041_eb0fe0c91b_b.jpg

I am thinking I am going to add more for the brakes in the top section, Ill have to make a smaller board but itll add more visibility.

Let me know what you think!

:D

I like the idea, but if you think hot-glue will waterproof it, you're in for a surprise in a couple months!

I wanted to do something similar, but modify the stock bulb socket to house one of these guys:
1-watt-high-brightness-power-led-with-star-break-out-mcpcb-500x500.jpg

Like I said its not a permanent solution...more like testing. What I want to do is cut out the whole back side and make my own pcb that is specific to the 740/940/v90

I like the idea, but if you think hot-glue will waterproof it, you're in for a surprise in a couple months!

I wanted to do something similar, but modify the stock bulb socket to house one of these guys:
1-watt-high-brightness-power-led-with-star-break-out-mcpcb-500x500.jpg

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too for 2XX/7XX/9XX.. If you hold a single SMD flashlight in the socket, the dispersion pattern is just about perfect. So a 3d-printed mount, some SMD LEDs, and a harness to plug it up is what I was thinking. Someday.

I put some LED bulbs in stock sockets. Its a decent approach, looks fairly factory interms of brightness with less amperage.

Back