• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V90/960 t6

hikerguy

I currently have 2 parts xc90s with t6 that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. If I donate 1 of them to a swap project can I make everything work for under $1500?

Not looking for 400+hp just a stockish reliable daily driver with tiny twin turbos. Time is money though so if I can save 40 hours and buy something please point in that direction.

I have several wagon options a 1995 1997 and 1998. The 97 and 98 have perfect interiors so I'm leaning towards one of them. Thoughts?

I wouldn't count on any dollar amount. In theory this should be relatively inexpensive though since you can reuse your oil pan, accessories, and whatnot from the 960. There ought to be enough wire between the 2 harnesses to bastardize the engine electricals. My opinion is that fabbing a twin turbo downpipe for a RWD car will be the hard part, however I'm just a shadetree fabricator.

why is price/lead time so important to you? are you building this for someone?

Thanks for the info. This is just something I've been putting off doing for a long time and I'm finally in a position to make something happen.

The time factor is I own a construction company. Time tends to disappear as is! If I can get a computer reprogrammed vs spending a big learning curve tuning and still not getting running right.

I'm trying to set reasonable expectations based on known variables. Any constructive input is appreciated.

Makes sense. Reading this thread ought to give you a sense of the scope of such an undertaking. Being that the 960 is already a RWD whiteblock car its mostly a bolt on swap so you wont have to do as much custom work as in a 240. You can even reuse the xc90 electricals, you'll just have to replace the 960 engine harness and ECU with the xc90 stuff.

There's some good information in that thread. It never ceases to amaze me what a knowledge base this place is.

what kind of headaches am I going to have trying to reuse the cable throttle body from the v90. I know the one on the T6 has been a problem in the past. I also suspect that cruise control will not work without swapping the electronic pedal.

what kind of headaches am I going to have trying to reuse the cable throttle body from the v90. I know the one on the T6 has been a problem in the past. I also suspect that cruise control will not work without swapping the electronic pedal.
I would use the T6 intake flange and RWD intake. T6 intake runners can be cut so that they line up with RWD intake. Needs silicone hoses(some straight, some angled) and supports for the fuel rail. You can also use the RWD fuel rail. When using RWD ECU, remember to change cam sensor trigger wheel, they are different.

T6 engine with stock T6 turbos is not really neccessary if the current engine is good. Just install turbo parts, T6 injectors, have a tune done(there are people who can do it) and call it a day. Yes it's a high compression but you have to tune it for T6 too if you use RWD ECU, so that cost is the same. Only modification I would suggest is taking the head off and filling the small grooves between the cylinders with suitable shims/etc.

You can even reuse the xc90 electricals, you'll just have to replace the 960 engine harness and ECU with the xc90 stuff.
Using XC90 electrics requires more wiring than only replacing the wiring harness and ECU. You need to install CEM for CAN and immobilizer and a cheater connection to make the ECU think that the transmission is in correct gear. But at that point you have full OBD-functions for the engine which is a nice plus and no need for a tune.

Lankku thanks for that great info! I'll start pulling the motor this weekend hopefully. Not to familiar with the can system but ill brake the harness down to declutter anyways

Thats a pretty good idea. Seller just replied as turbo only.

I have a b6304 head with all the light weight goodies swapped over minus the pre 95 cams. I'm not above swapping parts, just thought the t6 had a better short block.

How much trouble would the high compression be? Last week I drove over 1000 miles so anything over 93 octane is hard to come by.

There's some good information in that thread. It never ceases to amaze me what a knowledge base this place is.

I put a 04 t6 motor in a Silvia i fit the xc90 pedal and used the drive by wire system and duel vvt by going standalone ecu and custom harness cost about ? 2000

If you didn't want to use the 2.8's twins, I'm pretty certain you could make this work as a near bolt on affair: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Supe...X:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!95624!US!-1:rk:11:pf:0

and for 250, if it IS both turbo and manifold, that would be pretty hard to beat. I bet at 5-8psi on a stock 960 motor, it would absolutely scoot.

Does that manifold bolt to the 6 cylinder whiteblock engines, never seen one before, did some digging and they are readily available for around ?60, looking at the position of the turbo though the manifold might have to go on upside down to clear the strut tower on a 960 though...

When does crankcase pressure become a problem on a b6304 that simply has a turbo thrown on it? I know the T6 has an additional breather.

Forgot to mention that if you are going to use stock AW tranny then you'll need an aftermarket controller for that.

When does crankcase pressure become a problem on a b6304 that simply has a turbo thrown on it? I know the T6 has an additional breather.
Stock rods give up before that occurs.

T6 doesn't have any more breather holes than RWD-engines. T6 has two in the block and drain for the catch can. RWD has one in the block, one in the pan next to dipstick tube and drain. The main difference is that T6 and other newer blocks have holes above crank bearings between the sections. I've drilled similar holes to the B6254 blocks I've used.

Back