• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New player in the standalone EMS game

For the hard of understanding I'll repeat it: Microsquirt will not do 5 cylinder COP. I can get Microsquirt here quite easily and reasonably priced, but if it doesn't work there's no point

Micro will control 5 COP ignition fine. You can convert a spare port to another ignition output, giving you 5 total. The problem is fuel. Micro has only 2 fuel channels, and that won't work for a 5 cyl.

You're the first person I've spoken to that has told me that! FI is just batch fire, so no problem doing it with 1 channel. Why then does DIYautotune's info say that it can have up to 4 spark outputs?

I'm wrong. I remembered incorrectly. Micro has 2 ignition outputs. You can convert WLED and ALED to give a total of 4. It's on page 31 of the Micro manual.

Why do you want COP when you're only planning on batch fire? Won't give you any gains over wasted spark.

Because it's an ME7 engine with COP that I want to rev the tits off. Besides, even if i ran wasted spark (which I don't want to) I'd still need five spark outputs.

No you wouldn't. Just branch the outputs to multiple cylinders. That's how I did it with micro on a 4 cyl with only 2 spark channels.

How can I fire individual coils in a 5 cylinder engine like that? With 4 spark outputs? Oh, and don't forget that having 4 spark outputs precludes me having electronic boost control.

So, I've got a 5 cylinder engine with 144 degrees between ignition events. Please tell me which coils I should fire together to make this happen?

So, I've got a 5 cylinder engine with 144 degrees between ignition events. Please tell me which coils I should fire together to make this happen?

one, with a distributor :-P

I had a feeling that was the direction that whole thing was going to go in :lol:

anyway, if you're ok with getting a one-off deal that won't get supported in the future built on top of deprecated hardware (ms2) to save some money, go for it. I generally recommend microsquirt because it'll be supported for a period of time before they let it go by the wayside, even though development for ms2-based things is effectively dead at this point (that, and you could re-purpose it for a trans controller down the road with a firmware change and re-wire).

So I read on the dude's website that he's sold a wad of them, how many are actually on running driving cars? I can't tell you how many ms setups I sold just on this forum that ended up in the back of closets only to surface 4 years later when they're practically worthless

Why not support the people who actually did the hard work?

Becuase somehow you have way more e-merit by being different.

OP's argument follows the same logic as "I want a cheap engine swap that can make a lot of power, but I don't want to use an LS or 2JZ becuase it's lame and played out."

That became pretty clear when OP pointed out that a megasquirt based product is a great alternative to megasquirt. Whatever the **** that's supposed to mean.

This entire discussion isn't really about anything other than that.

Here's a line from their terms&conditions page:
Bedenktijd: de termijn waarbinnen de consument gebruik kan maken van zijn herroepingsrecht;

When aptly translated by translate.google.com, we get:
Prayer period: The term within which consumers can make use of their right of withdrawal;

Serious question here: What dollar value would you place on your free time?

My free time is free unless someone is willing to pay me to make it not my free time.

I will put in a lot of work in order to save a few quid, simply because I don't have much in the way of car funds. Every penny that is available for building my car comes from foreigners (fixing cars on my days off) or gratuities from customers in my day job. Sadly that doesn't amount to very much at all.

Am off work today as I've hurt my shoulder so am considering venturing into the man-cave to start scratch building the sump for the T5

Becuase somehow you have way more e-merit by being different.
No, I'm trying to get the job done as cheaply as possible. When I started the thread I had no idea that it needed to be licenced by B&G. I thought MS was open source.

OP's argument follows the same logic as "I want a cheap engine swap that can make a lot of power, but I don't want to use an LS or 2JZ becuase it's lame and played out."
Nope. I'd happily drop another lump in- especially an LS, but they're hard to get here and very expensive when they do turn up. This B5234T3 engine came complete for ?150. The same garage has an S80 T6 they can't sell and I'm trying to get them to break that so I can use the T6 engine instead.

That became pretty clear when OP pointed out that a megasquirt based product is a great alternative to megasquirt. Whatever the **** that's supposed to mean.
Have you ever compared one car to another that has the same engine?

This entire discussion isn't really about anything other than that.
Then why are you bothering to put your pointless :twocents: in?

one, with a distributor :-P

I had a feeling that was the direction that whole thing was going to go in :lol:
I'm not cutting into my bulkhead to make a hole for a distributor! :lol:

anyway, if you're ok with getting a one-off deal that won't get supported in the future built on top of deprecated hardware (ms2) to save some money, go for it. I generally recommend microsquirt because it'll be supported for a period of time before they let it go by the wayside, even though development for ms2-based things is effectively dead at this point (that, and you could re-purpose it for a trans controller down the road with a firmware change and re-wire).
Manual transmission don't need controllers ;-) I'd love an MS3, but we're looking at $1k over here (which I simply don't have), and the only guy that builds MS to order and is an official distributor has a reputation for building them wrong and refusing to admit he did so. A friend of mine caught him out with the help of an electronics guy.

So I read on the dude's website that he's sold a wad of them, how many are actually on running driving cars?
I've no idea any more than I know how many successful MS setups are out there. There's a few on YouTube running successfully, I think.

I can't tell you how many ms setups I sold just on this forum that ended up in the back of closets only to surface 4 years later when they're practically worthless
A standalone EMS's resale value isn't really a consideration for me- whereas it's purchase price is as I have very little money.

so... limited funds available for shenanigans (that's cool, no shade)
wants....throw in with something unsupported by the community it's based on. (there's the shade)

that is turbobrick logic right there. "I'm on a budget so I can't really afford to do it right, but I could probably afford to do it again more than once"
You have dozens of options to explore, this guy is a lawsuit away from not existing and I'm willing to bet when that time comes he's not going to be around to support his **** if the hardware isn't as up to snuff as expected.

I totally get modding on a budget, shop out a used ms system if that's the case, doesn't sound like it's all buttoned up and ready to wire as it is. Hell, get the software and just re-map the factory ecu. probably has a built in wideband and all that.

I've no idea any more than I know how many successful MS setups are out there. There's a few on YouTube running successfully, I think.

You think. you could google megasquirted volvo and probably come up with a few hundred *just volvos*. Bet you could do the same and find several if not several dozen installs on 5 slammers. Of course, whether or not the software can do it isn't the question, we know the software can do it.

What are you going to do when the little box ****s the bed and the guy is long gone? What are you going to do if it ****s the bed right out of the box and the guy won't help (because it's cheap, just go buy another one eh) or he designed it such that it's non servicable. You have little to no recourse there. With micro/ms3/etc even if you have to pay a little bit, they can be fixed.

I get being on a budget. That generally should mean that you choose things wisely and carefully. This is a gamble, and an unproven one at that. I tend to think that the budget would dictate *not* gambling.

that is turbobrick logic right there. "I'm on a budget so I can't really afford to do it right, but I could probably afford to do it again more than once"

This is exactly right. You want your car running as soon as possible, so you're willing to cut corners. If you want to do it that way, just save up for a real ECU and use stock computers until then. Plenty of people do the same exact thing. Just be patient and do things the right way and you will avoid lots of headaches.

If you're set on a 5-cyl, why not go VEMS? There's a ton of them on Audi's, and they're designed to work with 5-cyl engines. It's also MS2 levels of cost here stateside, ~$700 new last time I checked.
I have a few friends running them in rally cars, and they seem to be holding up just fine.

Back