• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

stick70

Big dreams, medium skills
Cliffnotes on where we are today, just in case you don't feel like reading this long ass thing:
1947646_10203423213800312_466466927_n_zpsd97cc371.jpg

Engine:
'93 B230F +T
Stock head (I've decided against a 16v in this car)
k-cam
Holset HY35 @15psi
Giant ebay intercooler
3" ebay charge pipes
Cheap ass ebay BOV
Homebrew schedule 40 header
3" exhaust all the way back with a glass pack
AEM in-tank pump
Aeromotive A1000 fuel pressure regulator
Nathaninwa -8 fuel rail
Aeroquip socketless hose -8AN line feed/-6AN return
Aeromotive billet fuel filter
650cc High-z injectors from 5.0 motorsport
GrimSpeed MBC
Tial MVR 44mm wastegate

EFI:
MSExtra v2.2
Saab 139 spark
Stock coil
LH distributor

Trans:
'94 T5 WC transmission out of a mustang
Steeda Shifter
John V 240mm custom flywheel
240mm sach saab clutch
stock 2 piece drive shaft shortened
full face organic clutch net disk with mustang spline pattern
Kaplhenke T5 trans adaptor
Mcleod adjustable throwout bearing
Stock m46 clutch fork
Yoshifab T5 to Volvo speedometer cable

Suspension:
Stock turbo swayz
Custom subframe brace
Homebrew GT braces
Front:
JRZ RS one coilovers
350lb 8" springs w/ Luxe steer
Kaplhenke adjustable camber plates
Kaplhenke quick steer roll correction spacers
Kaplhenke adjustable sway bar end links
Rear:
Koni Race 30 series struts
200# springs on Kaplhenke adjusters
Kaplhenke spherical torque rod bearings
Ipd panhard bar
Ipd torque rods

Brakes:
Volvo S60R calipers and rotors all around
STS Machining adaptors to make it work
Mustang master cylinder
Stoptech Sport Pads
Volvo S70 stainless lines in front (302mm disk type)

Interior:
Recaro LS seats
GT door panels
Junk yard black carpet out of a '92 244
MOMO Prototipo wheel and adapter
R-sport cluster restored by roger with his own adaptor plate (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=244602)
VDO Jet Cockpit clock, oil temperature, OEM ambient temperature, and VDO boost gauge all restored by roger with white leds and dave barton faces
AEM uego with a dave barton face
Walmart Pioneer stereo
Pioneer 6.5" speakers front/Pioneer 6x9" in the back hatch
Lots of SEM black interior paint to get all of the stock panels black
'98 S70 power antenna

Exterior:
242 gt flathood
Late 70's 240 single rounds and grill
Hella 7" H4 headlights
OEM 240 fogs
80s camaro rear spoiler
European spec front indicators
BMW style 5 (BBS 090) wheels
Custom Adaptors from motorsporttech.com (27mm front, 20mm rear)
225-45-17" Conti extreme contact tires

That should do it.

------------------------------------------------

So lets start off with the back story, I got this car a couple of months ago as a partial trade with a friend. My first 242 and the first RWD car ive had as well. Been looking for a 242 for quite some time on my very meager college salary of not much at all. So this fit the bill.
As initially seen here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=180007
But I thought since its officially a project I should start a project thread, so here we go.

The car is a 1984 242 Turbo/Intercooler, in grey. Needless to say I was excited. Its not in good shape overall, but there isnt much rust, so we can work with it.

Plans:
Longterm:
16v Stroker with mondo turbo, MS, nothing that hasnt been done already at least a dozen times
coilovers
Streetable
Just fast all-in-all

Shortterm:
B230 8v, cause i dont wanna explode a 16v learning to tune
MS, learn to tune
Poly all around

I really wanna do this car with a full/nice interior as useless as that is, and i wanna try to do it as "right" as possible.
K-jet will never ever run again on this car, MS will be immediate, and will be my focus as soon as I get the body/engine sorted out. And I'm really tempted to do a trans-swap first thing as well, but lets not get ahead of ourselves making rediculous goals that will never ever be reality.

Pics of the first day right after we pulled it off the trailer
242001.jpg

242002.jpg

242003.jpg

The car came without a head on it, and hasnt had a head on it for years, so the B21 isnt going to be worth the effort to salvage.
242006.jpg

the uber tan and uber messy interior
242007.jpg

242009.jpg

242010.jpg

242011.jpg

242008.jpg

the gt seat the car came with
242013.jpg

242014.jpg

pulled the seat covers off and the seats have been re-done PINK!
242015.jpg

242004.jpg

242012.jpg

very small amount of rust in the trunk
242005.jpg

sealed up sunroof is not a good sign
242019.jpg

removed the tar paper and found what i was dreading, ive got holes in the floor, so it looks like im gonna learn some body work, good thing i can weld
242020.jpg

242021.jpg

mouse crap in the floor
242016.jpg

my louvers awaiting install
242018.jpg

Testing out the homo grill, i have yet to get a flathood
242025.jpg

my dusty "o look ive got 16v parts" shelf
242024.jpg

242026.jpg

and a platform to build off of

Todays progress was to clean her up a bit and try to get some free things done while i still have no money.
242027.jpg

242029.jpg

the car came with the typical 30yr old holy purple tint, so first on the agenda was to remove it.
242031.jpg

sooooo much better looking
242022.jpg

242023.jpg

I recently acquired a new set of non tan non busted seats, and recovered them with some gt skins that i also recently bought.
242028.jpg

gt back to match, door panels are on the way, should be here wednesday
242032.jpg

fronts in the car so i dont have to ride a super sketchy bucket anymore
242030.jpg

I also had a bunch of gauges so I took the best out of the bunch and hit them with some plastic polish I have laying around, came out good as new.

Last edited:
Get about 3 cans of the SEM interior paint, its the **** and really easy to use.

thats what i was thinking, but i dont think im gonna paint some parts, like heavy touch areas, and the armrests, painting soft, heavily used areas seems like bad news. Definately gonna use it for the kick panels, pillars and stuff like that. Maybe even on my super cracked dash.

Last edited:
thats what i was thinking, but i dont think im gonna paint some parts, like heavy touch areas, and the armrests, painting soft, heavily used areas seems like bad news. Definately gonna use it for the kick panels, pillars and stuff like that. Maybe even on my super cracked dash.

Naw I've used it on seats and it doesnt wear off.

small updates, been trying to sort out some of my rediculous electrical problems inside the car, heres a list of the stuff ive managed to get working:
high/low beams
running lights
passenger tail light
power mirrors
power trunk release
passenger power lock
i can hot wire the windows to work, but something is bad in the circuit
interior light
wipers
horn
and some gauge lights

still fighting some wierd things, the whole console was disassembled when i got it, so ive got to backtrack that. also my key reminder comes on when i press the brake pedal instead of the brake lights.

Also started making some interior progress, SEM interior paint is awesome, though ive got to get some more, i think 2 more cans will do the dash, and got the door panels fixed and on, armrests painted etc.
242001-1.jpg

242002-1.jpg

242003-1.jpg

242004-1.jpg

242005-1.jpg

242006-1.jpg

242007-1.jpg

also hit the flathood grille with some plastidip
242008-1.jpg

242009-1.jpg

Last edited:
small progress
seat pan is cut out and ready for rust repair, also set the flathood on to see how it looked. Needs paint obviously
before
CIMG0549.jpg

out
CIMG0554.jpg

CIMG0555.jpg

yay flathood!
CIMG0847.jpg

CIMG0845.jpg

Loooks good. You see that red 242 turbo pop up on CL? An I need some non-volvo related easy welding done, you interested? I could throw some cash your way.

Loooks good. You see that red 242 turbo pop up on CL? An I need some non-volvo related easy welding done, you interested? I could throw some cash your way.
that red 242 looks clean as hell

nah man, i dont have my own welder, im gonna be borrowing one to do this when i get around to it

Nice build! first thing I wanted to say when I saw the beige/pink was that you should ditch it, and i didn't even have to tell you. I'm looking forward to seeing where this build goes.

Some progress this weekend, painted the flathood and the rear taillight panel flat black this weekend, some more wiring progress. Got the sunroof open as well, bought new seals for it as well, should be the goal this weekend. After i cut all the silicone out of it it opened right up and it works amazing.

might be at the podcast, gotta go get a mic, and do my homework lol

Last edited:
Made a little more progress this weekend, here are some pics

The sunroof was previously siliconed together, broke that free
242097.jpg

Also gave the flathood another coat of paint (still waiting for it to dry)
242101.jpg

242099.jpg

Painted the rear panel black to hide some of the paint damage
242102.jpg

More stickers!!
242098.jpg

Also started ripping apart the engine bay
242103.jpg

Death to k-jet
242100.jpg

My k-jet harness was destroyed, i really didnt have to disconnect anything at the firewall, all of the wires were corroded through already. Plus if im gonna spend all the time required to properly re-wire an engine bay its gonna be with megasquirt, not some outdated low options mechanical fuel injection garbage.

Also finally got all the electrical stuff inside working along with all of the lights outside ex my broken taillight. Need a hazard switch though, my turn signals work with the switch like halfway depressed, no more, no less. Pick one up at the pull-a-part this week. Progress is slow, but happening, im only able to work on it on my free weekends, i go to school in charlotte, and this is at my parents house, so yeah its not moving at a super rapid pace lol. Next up is to clean up the engine bay a little more, banish the a/c from my interior and remove the abused, rusted, leaf filled b21 and throw it away.

Last edited:
Back