home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default 244 b230ft wc t5 trans swap, wacky gearing

So I have a 90 244 with b230ft with some mild bolt obs and a stock block and head. Ipd cam, 50. Trim turbo. NPR intercooler, full 3" exhaust, chips, running about 15 psi on a good day. I'm only looking to make around 250-300 who which it seems to do fine. My m47 last years on this astoundingly enough, but I managed to fit myself into a wc t5 with Josh's stage 3 puck clutch and 2 piece shaft for now. Now the issue I'm having is I have to rev the piss out of it to get going then it bogs really hard. Like 1st gear is just way too long. This is a drift car so I really only need 1st and 2nd gear. And so far after about 5 track days I havent even seen 3rd. I'm drifting mainly in first which is kinda inconvient. I'm not 100% but I think I have 3.73 in the rear, it was a true manual car which came with 3.31 but I had to change the gears at one point. I have to recollect to get my tag number off my trans but I know my first gear is a 2.95 which it's pretty long. Now my question is, is putting 4.10 gears in the rear going to help with my super long first gear. I dont care if this thing wont go over 50 mph I just dont want to roast my clutch each time i have to get the thing going. Anyone have good experience with the t5 trans setup? I know mines from a 5.0 fox stand and it is a wc. Please comment!
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

There is a label on the rear axle just to the left of the differential. It's on the axle housing and will probably be quite dirty. Be sure to clean it with just soapy water so you don't ruin the label.

From your description it seems like you have put another 3.31 in there or maybe it's a 3.54? A 4.10 would probably do well for you and is easy to get. There was also a 3.91 used in these cars and maybe you can find one of those?
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

The 2.95 first gear was unique to the T5Z motorsport transmission. Most WC T5 transmissions had the 3.35 first gear.

It would really help to know what the tag on your transmission says as well as the sticker on your rear axle.

Yes, a 4.10 rear axle ratio will "shorten" your overall gearing.

Also, many ppl here on the board have successfully converted to the WC T5 and have put many miles on them. The main complaint is that the gearbox rattles, but on a drift car, I don't think that would matter.
__________________
-Mike
1998 V70 T5
1979 242 DL

|Feedback|

Last edited by oldschoolvolvo; 10-04-2018 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: misleading information
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Thanks for your swift replys, let me see if i can find a pic of the tag, I have 4.10 gears I got off Ebay from a 242gt I'm going to get installed first and see how that works, if that first gear is still a pain I guess I'll be looking around for a new trans , and I did notice in my studies when getting this trans that it was a "motorsport" trans like a factory upgrade or something.
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Aptos, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpanio240 View Post
Thanks for your swift replys, let me see if i can find a pic of the tag, I have 4.10 gears I got off Ebay from a 242gt I'm going to get installed first and see how that works, if that first gear is still a pain I guess I'll be looking around for a new trans , and I did notice in my studies when getting this trans that it was a "motorsport" trans like a factory upgrade or something.
A 2.95 1st with 4.10 FD will be fine. I have a T5z with 4.30 FD and it could stand to be a bit longer.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Can you explain the bog? Does it make boost in first? Does the car make full boost in 2nd?

What size and width tire are you using?

I have a 3.35 wc T5 (stock mustang trans) and 3.73 gears in my 244. I drift entirely in 2nd if it's a small kart track which will see just over 50mph entry speeds. I use 3rd for anything that's over 50+ sustained drift speed, and 4th for 70+.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

I have an old M46 in the barn you can swap it out. You can get rid of that pesky trans and give it to me. LOL.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I have an old M46 in the barn you can swap it out. You can get rid of that pesky trans and give it to me. LOL.
Anytime! LOL
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Can you explain the bog? Does it make boost in first? Does the car make full boost in 2nd?

What size and width tire are you using?

I have a 3.35 wc T5 (stock mustang trans) and 3.73 gears in my 244. I drift entirely in 2nd if it's a small kart track which will see just over 50mph entry speeds. I use 3rd for anything that's over 50+ sustained drift speed, and 4th for 70+.
So the car runs fine once we are moving, but u have to rev it up to like 2k and hold it for a couple seconds while slowly letting the clutch out until I'm up to speed where that gear is initiated if that makes sense. It only bogs when I let it out too quick and it wants to stall because I'm rolling too slow for the rpm and I usually run 205-55 16
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Sounds like your car is running at Stage -1.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
dl242gt
Can play the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

You know another easy thing to try is smaller diameter tires. That way you can tell if it helps the bog and gearing all at once.

Just try some stock tires like a 195/60-15. Or a smaller diameter like a 205/55-15 should help give you some more answers. Even some steel wheels with a stock 185/70-14 may help just to check this our. I am presuming you are using something taller than stock with your wheels and tires.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
The 2.95 first gear was unique to the T5Z motorsport transmission. Most WC T5 transmissions had the 3.35 first gear.
No, not at all correct..
All GM V8s in USA
All V8 Mustang up to 85my
Mustang V8 SVO
Bazillions of Holdens in OZ
Bazzilions of Fords in OZ
Ford Sierra Cosworth
AMC Jeep C2
TVR Griffith V8

All had the 2.95 gearset..

They just used them with engines that pulled and sensible rear axle ratios...
__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
No, not at all correct..
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the additional information.

Most times ppl here just talk about the 2.95 and T5Z, but clearly it is not that unique of a 1st gear ratio.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the additional information.

Most times ppl here just talk about the 2.95 and T5Z, but clearly it is not that unique of a 1st gear ratio.
...and it's the correct one to have.
__________________



Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #15
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
You know another easy thing to try is smaller diameter tires. That way you can tell if it helps the bog and gearing all at once.

Just try some stock tires like a 195/60-15. Or a smaller diameter like a 205/55-15 should help give you some more answers. Even some steel wheels with a stock 185/70-14 may help just to check this our. I am presuming you are using something taller than stock with your wheels and tires.
I cant really run a smaller tire anymore because of the power and suspension set up I dont get enough grip. I smaller tire would probably help short term but isn't a permanent solution unfortunately
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
...and it's the correct one to have.
So this trans is more than useable as long as I get the right rear end ratio which I'm shooting for is a 4.10
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #17
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Okay so I have a 1352 249 and according to thos page I do have the t5z trans, but the chart stats a 2.76 first which is even longer now, I thought I found a different chart that showed me 2.95 on this specific trans

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/bo...t5-id-tags.htm
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpanio240 View Post
Okay so I have a 1352 249 and according to thos page I do have the t5z trans, but the chart stats a 2.76 first which is even longer now, I thought I found a different chart that showed me 2.95 on this specific trans

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/bo...t5-id-tags.htm

No, go up..That for some reason is reverse gear in the first column..

Your gears are: 2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.63

With that 5th, you could use 4.3; 4.56 even and still have less revs in top gear that a stock mid 80s Volvo on cruise at a given speed.
But 1st thru 4th would be FUN.
John V, outside agitator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the additional information.

Most times ppl here just talk about the 2.95 and T5Z, but clearly it is not that unique of a 1st gear ratio.
Most people just talk about most things.. whatever else 'everybody" is is saying..

I look up things..

That's why I did a run of 15-16 modified bellhousings --which cost a full 1/3 less than the popular adaptor plates for the Ford boxes that everybody copies from everybody else, so that guys could get GM V8 boxes and get the nicer ratios...And have the shfter better placed, AND be able to use the OEM Volvo 15mm pilot bearing and not pay for some morphodite bushing, or turn the Ford 17mm snout down.

But despite having another 15-16 bellhousings, I opted not to do another run because of the "everybody" says Ford Ford Ford Ford...
John V, outside agitator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpanio240 View Post
I cant really run a smaller tire anymore because of the power and suspension set up I dont get enough grip. I smaller tire would probably help short term but isn't a permanent solution unfortunately
Run WIDER tires for more gripsssssss. Run smaller diameter for better gearing... if that is really your problem.

There's a lot of people that have drifted stock NA volvo 240s with a 3.31 rear end and manual trans. I think you need to look elsewhere on why you're having issues with bogging.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #21
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
There's a lot of people that have drifted stock NA volvo 240s with a 3.31 rear end and manual trans. I think you need to look elsewhere on why you're having issues with bogging.
Could you tell us where to look please?
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #22
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Could you tell us where to look please?
OP is providing plenty of useful information

That car should be very capable of breaking the tires loose.

Last edited by culberro; 10-05-2018 at 12:14 AM..
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 AM   #23
heavy_dd
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default

2.95 first gear T5s are common in australia, found in early 90s ford falcons
heavy_dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #24
Scorpanio240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lehigh valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Run WIDER tires for more gripsssssss. Run smaller diameter for better gearing... if that is really your problem.

There's a lot of people that have drifted stock NA volvo 240s with a 3.31 rear end and manual trans. I think you need to look elsewhere on why you're having issues with bogging.
I mean I have run smaller tires in the past and recently I just like the wider tires for better control while drifting, so I dont want to put smaller tires on to make a small difference in my hearing as a temporary solution. Like I said before, in cx some time, I'm gonna get the 4.10's in and give that a shot. That should help with most off the discomfort
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
89-240gl+t
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: san jose ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpanio240 View Post
I mean I have run smaller tires in the past and recently I just like the wider tires for better control while drifting, so I dont want to put smaller tires on to make a small difference in my hearing as a temporary solution. Like I said before, in cx some time, I'm gonna get the 4.10's in and give that a shot. That should help with most off the discomfort
I have the same exact problem you are have with my t5, hopefully going to be installing the 4.10 as well. Or maybe wait till you do so we can see if that helps haha
89-240gl+t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.