home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #1
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

Default Kaplhenke Coilover parts diagram (exploded diagram posted page 2)

Hi gang,
I've messaged Ben on the Facebook group but he is notoriously bad at support.
Granted I got these second or third hand, but I feel I'm missing something or have installed incorrectly.
My setup is front and rear coil overs on a Volvo 740t wagon with t5 trans.
The fronts clunk and if I push down on the front I can see the shaft that the top nut is attached to moves up and down and clunks.
I'm thinking I'm missing a spacer perhaps.
It goes bottom spring perch, shock threaded top thing, (this won't screw all the way onto shock tube) spring, plastic washer thing, tophat, some sort of insert, camber plate.
above strut tower is conical washer, spring washer, top nut.
Am I missing something?
Top nut tightens all the way but have vertical movement .
Ben won't supply parts diagram or any pictures or info as I didn't buy these brand new.
Pretty average from a bloke who so many here support.
If I wasn't on the opposite side of the world I would have brought new.
Can someone please help?
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #2
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

https://m.imgur.com/a/TyBs1QP
Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
J_Jones
Board Member

https://www.bneshop.com/pages/contact-us
Old 04-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Trevor57
Board Member

Why do you think you are entitled to somebody else's time and expertise? Because other people purchase his products? I'm pretty sure he ships world wide.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
doucheNozzle

Have you reached out to the person you purchased these from?

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

Yes and no help. It's not hard to say hey " here's a photo of the parts expanded" or " sure you need this part and I'll sell it to you to fix the problem"
I'd happily buy from him if it fixed my issue.
It's customer service not entitlement.
Dude makes awesome stuff !
Just wish there was at least installation instructions online somewhere.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
volvo?
That One Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMelbs View Post
Just wish there was at least installation instructions online somewhere.
This. Or include them when sold. Something would be nice.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Do you know which coilovers these are? I have installation instructions for front JRZPro coilovers. I have not received the rear yet. I suspect the instructions may be a lot different if you have a different set. They are very busy there, so you may need a bit of patience, Ben has always answered me, but not always right away.

1978 242, getting prepped for LS
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

I'd bet if you threw Ben a few bucks, he'd give you some help. Expecting him to just spend time supporting a secondhand product he sold without any incentive seems a little silly.

I know I wouldn't.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

It's rediculous he doesn't offer any kind of installation instructions. Shouldn't have to pay the guy for knowledge he should be happy someone in Australia will promote and talk about how awesome his stuff is
Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
doucheNozzle

Quote:
It's rediculous he doesn't offer any kind of installation instructions. Shouldn't have to pay the guy for knowledge he should be happy someone in Australia will promote and talk about how awesome his stuff is
Where have you promoted and talked about how awesome his stuff is?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #12
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
He won't support a product somebody sold second hand (ie- not his problem really)?

And are you like some big name in Australia with BNE banners and such on your car?

I can tell you, when a customer takes a car to a different shop then comes back with issues, all the warranty/guarantees we offer are revoked. Once someone else f*cks with it and we don't have proof of quality, everything goes to square one.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
...he should be happy someone in Australia will promote and talk about how awesome his stuff is
Trust me, Ben's stuff speaks for itself, and Google does the rest in the way of advertising when you google "Volvo 240 coilovers".
Old 04-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #14
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I get what you are saying, but Australia is not a big market unfortunately. Most of the buyers I have had from there do not want to pay the shipping, that is a huge problem. Add that to an extremely busy shop that can't handle a lot more business at the moment, it's not like he has 20 employees. I have an order with him right now that has been going on for months, and I have to be patient.
What I would suggest is to look at a few other coilover setups for other cars. What do they have that you don't? One of the things that stands out is the upper bearing, you didn't mention that in your parts list. What allows the strut to turn in your scenario?
I have not installed coilovers yet but I do know you need some kind of bearing at the top of the strut.
These are not the correct parts for your car, but trying to give ya an idea of what I'm talking about
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/Strut-Bearings/
Old 04-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #15
Jack
junkman

not only is it the weekend
It’s Easter Sunday weekend

Did you email him ? Did you call him? Or did you go straight from Flapbook to here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #16
Jack
junkman

Quote:
He should be happy ? Wtf is that

Gtfo dude
Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #17
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Easy now, OP is frustrated and venting. We already know how valuable Ben's stuff is to our small community.
Aren't front coilovers on most cars very similar? IDK but I would think so. I'm waiting on the answer about the upper bearing, If that's not the issue, OP needs to dig up general coil over diagrams, they are probably all very similar no matter what car it goes on. When we get to that point it should be easy to get the part number required to fix the issue.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #18
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick

Exactly. Cool heads prevail. Its a holiday weekend. Chill out, let the guy put down the phone, walk away from the computer and have some family time. Then, next week, deal with this. The more you slam ben here, the less he is going to want to help. He is running a business. Time is money. You are just a guy who bought some stuff off a guy and there may be missing pieces...... If you want his help at least throw the guy a bone and buy some stickers.

Also, many racing parts are provided without diagrams and instructions because the assumption is the person installing them should have enough knowledge to figure it out. If not, find someone who can.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #19
photoman327
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
Exactly. Cool heads prevail. Its a holiday weekend. Chill out, let the guy put down the phone, walk away from the computer and have some family time. Then, next week, deal with this. The more you slam ben here, the less he is going to want to help. He is running a business. Time is money. You are just a guy who bought some stuff off a guy and there may be missing pieces...... If you want his help at least throw the guy a bone and buy some stickers.

Also, many racing parts are provided without diagrams and instructions because the assumption is the person installing them should have enough knowledge to figure it out. If not, find someone who can.
Well said!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #20
JimmyMelbs
Board Member

Thanks for the constructive criticism not so much the flaming. I've messaged him offering money and no reply .
I'm not bagging the guy but I'm surprised there's absolutely nothing online about these bar the few pics on his site
Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #21
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Thanks for the constructive criticism not so much the flaming. I've messaged him offering money and no reply .
I'm not bagging the guy but I'm surprised there's absolutely nothing online about these bar the few pics on his site
When did you message him?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #22
photoman327
Board Member

I have purchased from Ben and been by his place in Rockville. Never a issue with support. Nobody sits around a pc like you expect. You should have purchased from Ben direct!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #23
VB242
A tough rowing ho

Quote:
Hi gang,
I've messaged Ben on the Facebook group but he is notoriously bad at support.
Granted I got these second or third hand, but I feel I'm missing something or have installed incorrectly.
My setup is front and rear coil overs on a Volvo 740t wagon with t5 trans.
The fronts clunk and if I push down on the front I can see the shaft that the top nut is attached to moves up and down and clunks.
I'm thinking I'm missing a spacer perhaps.
It goes bottom spring perch, shock threaded top thing, (this won't screw all the way onto shock tube) spring, plastic washer thing, tophat, some sort of insert, camber plate.
above strut tower is conical washer, spring washer, top nut.
Am I missing something?
Top nut tightens all the way but have vertical movement .
Ben won't supply parts diagram or any pictures or info as I didn't buy these brand new.
Pretty average from a bloke who so many here support.
If I wasn't on the opposite side of the world I would have brought new.
Can someone please help?
Keep adding washers until it tightens up?

First candidacy driven entirely by smart phone.

Campaign slogan
"Trump, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire!"
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #24
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

crush it
because 740
Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
rb92673
Board Member

Do you have vertical movement between the coil spring and the and the top seat for the spring? If so, maybe you need some helper springs to take up the slack like these:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...helper-springs

You also need a the spacers to connect the springs together:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-SPACER250

Or is the vertical movement past the camber plate at the top and maybe you need a spacer under the top nut. You shouldn't be tightening all the way down to the bottom threads on the shock, it should be tight before you get there. When I made my home made coilovers I just used the spacers that had a concave metal top and bottom and rubber in the middle that was on my stock system.

Or finally are you missing the strut top bearing like this or similar, not the spherical bearing in the top of the camber plate:
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6640...40-960-s90-v90
Closed Thread