• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

we did that flywheel, btw. I didn't realize vince sold the whole setup, but I guess it makes sense since he's going autotragic.

excellent project Jared. Do NOT run a pucked clutch on that flywheel. Organic, carbon or carbon/kevlar only!

Yeah, I've got a regular organic sprung hub CN disc...not sure if I posted that or not. I'm looking for somewhere that will clean up/surface the pressure plate...I know it's not commonly done, but the PP is in great shape except for the ridge/burnt spots from the pucked clutch. I figure if they have to take a little material off of the face of the PP, the same amount of material could be taken off the dished part of the flywheel (where the PP bolts to) that is taken off the face of the PP to retain the correct tolerances. It wouldn't take much to make the PP face flat again, but I don't want to run it as is.

Don't tempt me.

I think I'll come home next weekend for mini-se and see if I can get the motor/trans assembled and in the car. The only thing I really lack is a pilot bearing.

Kyle-the flywheel bolts take blue loctite, right?

IMG_2212.jpg

Billy, would it be possible to at least round off some of the sharp corners in that thing? I really wouldn't want to hear about any amputated limbs, regardless of whether it is running a street full faced clutch or not.

Call me overly concerned, but seeing the carnage in Simon's car, I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer the same fate :-(

There are no sharp corners. Where the step area was cut, there's a pretty decent radius to it. Simon's step was cut at a 90* angle.

Well...got the motor assembled today

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

Also picked up my shift knob from Pete-a local guy who owns Alphatech. It's dark walnut with a Cloisonne enamel emblem inlaid. I love it! Not bad for $30.

IMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

A HUGE thanks to Derrick/940Guy. He came over today and helped me get everything assembled and in the car. Everything is in...just got a few little things to tidy up, including an issue with the transmission crossmember/mount. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3675.JPG

And here's the issue with the trans mount...the way Vince built it, I'm sure it worked in his car, but I think something changed with the later model cars. No matter how I put the mount on the transmission, or flip that metal plate around, the mount is either too far forward or too far back on the plate that is welded to the crossmember. Now, that's not really an issue, as drilling 2 more holes in the crossmember plate is easy. The issue is that if I bolt the crossmember to the car in the only way that I can, I can only get 2 bolts in...the rear holes on the crossmember don't match up with any holes in the body.

IMG_3670.JPG

Here's a picture of the holes that are in the frame. The bolt that is just sticking out of the frame and the hole directly in front (to the right) of that is where my original trans crossmember was bolted.

IMG_3672.JPG

ey, isnt the body holes different on the later cars for trans crossmembers?

cheers to derrick, he's a go getter get' done'r

You got a auto or manual crossmember there? Isn't there a difference between auto/manual crossmember? Can't recall right off. There should be holes that fit. look harder?

And have ya tried flipping end to end, the crossmember the other way?

It's a manual crossmember...identical to the M46 one that came out of my car. And no, I can't flip the crossmember around. It hits the transmission then. Derrick and I tried every combination we could of the orienteation of crossmember, plates, mount, etc. No dice any way we tried it. I think the later model cars have slightly different mounting points in the frame rail.

Jarod, I have a cross member under shed behind garage. I cannot remeber what it came out of,although it's most likely outta a earlier 240, as that's about all I've pulled manual tran's out of.

I also have a known for sure 1982 M46 240 crossmember. Outta the 1982 beige M46 245 I, er, had crushed.

I'll sell either one to ya.

Troy (bonerjams) and I had to line up, get wrong, and re line up that crossmember like, a gazillion (also known as 7-8ish) times, could never get it right, and ended up deciding that he could drive it home on 3 of 4 bolts bolted in, and randomly on a fluke it somehow lined up the 4th one while he was tightening up the other 3. seriously, it looks like it's not lined up at all, but try just givin' 'er on as many as you can line up, and see if the 4th one just somehow manages to line up. It frustrated (and confused) the hell out of us for at least a few hours.

have you tried jacking trans up or down? Slant of engine might be affecting alignment. Also loosen MM bolts & see if it helps. use a drift to align CM with chassis holes.

Isn't modding a 240 fun? LOL Had a bit of same problem when re installing my Cm, with only new MMs & trans mount as only "mod".

Well I got the transmission mounting sorted!

IMG_3684.JPG

And Thanksgiving break is over. :( There's so much left I could do. Stupid school. Gettin' in the way of my project.

Back