• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

I've got a few more days of driving with the T5. I put my carpet back in, except for the tunnel piece that obviously no longer fits. I also laid down two layers of Noico 80 mil sound deadening over the tunnel, and used a new 240 shift boot with a rag stuffed in it for more sound proofing.

My impressions are that I just don't like this transmission. With straight ATF in it, it shifts really well, but is unbelievably loud for a fresh rebuild. All the normal T5 sounds: 5 gear rumble, rattle on decel, rattle at idle, etc. With some Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it's *slightly* better, but shifts noticeably worse.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed how hot their trans tunnel gets? With the sound deadening on, but no carpet, I can barely touch the tunnel for more than a few seconds. I had no idea transmissions got so hot.

If this car keeps my interest for long enough, I could definitely see myself trying something else. Now that I've cut a tunnel out, I'm not afraid of making something bigger fit, like an M90 perhaps. As a matter of fact, if I was starting this project knowing what I know now, I'd do a 5 cylinder whiteblock/M90 swap. Live and learn.

what ATF? Dex6? DexMerc3? They're not all the same. My trans guy recommends DexMerc3, unless its going to see abuse, then its valvoline MTF, and 1/2 qt of lucas. He said itll create some drag, but it holds up to these gearboxes well. Used it in the t5 dogbox, and its way quieter than my t5. But I put in dex6 because its what I had, so now I get to flush and refill with something better. I'll probably do the MTF/Lucas just because of how quiet the dogbox is with that combo.

They are loud.
Ever touch a m46 once it?s up to temp? Really hot

Sound deadening and carpet will make a difference

It's loud, that's for sure. I'm going to layer some thick jute, then part of a 240 tunnel carpet over and that should help, even though I already have sound deadening on it. It'll still be loud from outside the car. Oh well.

what ATF? Dex6? DexMerc3? They're not all the same. My trans guy recommends DexMerc3, unless its going to see abuse, then its valvoline MTF, and 1/2 qt of lucas. He said itll create some drag, but it holds up to these gearboxes well. Used it in the t5 dogbox, and its way quieter than my t5. But I put in dex6 because its what I had, so now I get to flush and refill with something better. I'll probably do the MTF/Lucas just because of how quiet the dogbox is with that combo.

It's got Dex/Merc 3, plus a 1/2 quart of Lucas in it now. I hadn't heard the MTF thing. That works with the fiber synchros? At any rate, I can tell there's a lot more drag with the Lucas in there. Shifting is more notchy, and the car almost seems slower, but that could be in my head.

This is kind of goofy, but I wonder how much sound muffling you'd get from one of those transmission blankets? Obviously, I'll never blow this thing up with my B23, but maybe wrapping the trans with this would quiet it down further:

303-81026.jpg

That sounds positively uncivilised. I take it this is the clutch? https://yoshifab.com/store/volvo-red-block-stage-2-clutch.html

Re the heat, consider a stock setup, say 150hp, with roughly 10% loss into the trans being 15hp, then think about that heating your living room, and you're ball park. If you up the power to 300hp with boost, you won't be losing 30hp, but a bit more.

Many vehicles have shielding in the trans tunnel for these reasons. Most others have decent clearance in there for airflow.

I run Mobil1 ATF in mine and switch it out every year...the first few hundred KM it sounded terrible as all the new gears sort of found their home. The 1-2 shift was also a bit off for a bit. Considering part of the installation had me hitting it with a hammer - I'm not surprised (instruction from Tony at Astro Performance - I still shudder thinking of that). Now at 22K Km it's pretty much as good as a T5 can be. A bit mechanical on the shift, but I like that. It makes a racket at idle with the clutch out but I'm also running the poly mount which is not good for NVH isolation. I do notice a difference each spring when I switch to new fluid.

I run Mobil1 ATF in mine and switch it out every year...the first few hundred KM it sounded terrible as all the new gears sort of found their home. The 1-2 shift was also a bit off for a bit. Considering part of the installation had me hitting it with a hammer - I'm not surprised (instruction from Tony at Astro Performance - I still shudder thinking of that). Now at 22K Km it's pretty much as good as a T5 can be. A bit mechanical on the shift, but I like that. It makes a racket at idle with the clutch out but I'm also running the poly mount which is not good for NVH isolation. I do notice a difference each spring when I switch to new fluid.

Good to hear. I have wondered if there was a bit of a run in period on a rebuilt T5. I just ordered some 1/2" thick Dynaliner for the tunnel, so I'm hoping that helps enough to go back to straight ATF.

thought maybe my pilot bearing was doing this... going in there to swap clutches soon so ill check....

thought maybe my pilot bearing was doing this... going in there to swap clutches soon so ill check....

That's why I pulled my trans after the first day of driving it. I used one of those Ford Motorsport needle bearings, and when I put it in, it didn't rotate as easily as a sealed ball bearing. I was impatient, so I put the trans in anyway, and immediately attributed all the noise to a bad pilot bearing.

When I pulled it out to check, the bearing had loosened up and was spinning freely.

That’s what I have in mine What bearing did you go with ?

I only notice it sometimes... in neutral at stop with foot off clutch, I usually keep my foot on it. First thing I thought was the Pilot... I’m too lazy to even replace my slipping clutch. I drive this car about 400-500 miles a week.

Overall there is a lot more to a t5 swap than most ever talk about.... fixed one set of problems with the m46 and replaced it with other in the t5... fuk

That’s what I have in mine What bearing did you go with ?

I only notice it sometimes... in neutral at stop with foot off clutch, I usually keep my foot on it. First thing I thought was

Overall there is a lot more to a t5 swap than most ever talk about.... fixed one set of problems with the m46 and replaced it with other in the t5... fuk

Truth.

For the pilot bearing you can use a 6003-2RS ball bearing instead of the needle bearing. It is a drop in replacement.

I’m curious how your sound deadening will work out. I have some Dynamat-style product on the floor and tunnel and just ordered some 40oz jute padding to go underneath the carpet. Hopefully that will take some more noise out.

That?s what I have in mine What bearing did you go with ?

I left the Ford needle bearing in there since it felt fine. And really, the only way the pilot bearing could cause the rattle noise I hear in the case is if it was sized improperly, and allowing the nose of the input shaft to wiggle around. But that's not happening, and the input shaft on mine is rock solid. Zero play.

Truth.

For the pilot bearing you can use a 6003-2RS ball bearing instead of the needle bearing. It is a drop in replacement.

I?m curious how your sound deadening will work out. I have some Dynamat-style product on the floor and tunnel and just ordered some 40oz jute padding to go underneath the carpet. Hopefully that will take some more noise out.

Like I said, I can't imagine how the pilot bearing would cause this noise unless the ID was just way too big. I'm sticking with the needle bearing for now. Maybe I'll try the ball bearing next time I pull the trans, just for science.

I have high hopes for the Dynaliner. It's the same thickness as the jute under my carpet, and that makes a huge difference in overall noise and heat. The stock jute comes about halfway up the sides of the tunnel, and right above it, the tunnel is scorching hot. But an inch below where the jute starts, it's cool to the touch.

Even if it helps the noise a bit, I still wouldn't recommend a T5 for a nice daily driver.

The noise I’m trying to trace is a droning at highway speeds. Dynamat was a big improvement in noise and sun heat in my 245... so much so that you can “comfortably” drive with windows up in mid 90s with the kickerpanel vents both open
Well worth the money

The noise I?m trying to trace is a droning at highway speeds. Dynamat was a big improvement in noise and sun heat in my 245... so much so that you can ?comfortably? drive with windows up in mid 90s with the kickerpanel vents both open
Well worth the money

The droning in 5th is bad on mine too. It seems to be worse from 2500-3k, and really bad on decel.

Did you put Dynamat on the roof of your 245?

Back