home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Default No Pulse to Injectors, Has Spark

I ended up replacing the EZK module in my '88 Turbo, and I finally have spark and the fuel pump engages when it's supposed to. The only thing keeping my car from starting at this point are the injectors. For some reason, the ECU isn't grounding them.
The injectors have power when checked between the terminals and a ground.

What can be preventing the injectors from getting a pulse? It's not the power stage, ballast resistor, or radio suppression relay. I already changed the power stage (plus if it was bad, it would not get spark) and the other two being bad would most likely prevent them from getting constant power.
I also bypassed the boost over pressure switch, so that's not the problem.

There is continuity between the injector connector and pin 13 on the ECU.
I have also changed the LH ECU, but I guess it is a possibility that it's another bad one (assuming my original ECU is bad?).
bmdubya1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
EivlEvo
Board Member

I assume you've got the proper resistance injectors?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
I assume you've got the proper resistance injectors?
Yes, they are original green tops.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Have you checked the pulse with a node light? This is a lh 22 or 24 car?

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
bmdubya1198
Board Member

LH 2.2. I haven’t used a noid light, I’ve been using a test light between the connector terminals.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Any ideas here? Do I just have two bad ECUs?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
lummert
Board Member

You've tried the boost pressure over pressure switch. How good are the connections at the radio suppression relay?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

No pulse/weak pulse to injectors can be caused by bad CPS, RSR, corroded resistor pack, bad ecu, and some other things. Does the vehicle start on starting fluid?

If you are certain your injector grounds are clean, you should remove the connector for the resistor pack and file the spades clean down to bare metal. Being corroded caused a no start on my 940t. Do you feel the RSR click in KP2? You can bypass the relay temporarily by removing it and jumping the 12v wire (should be red) to whatever wire gives power to the injectors. I believe it’s striped. You’ll have to look at a wiring diagram though.

As lummert mentioned, RSR connections can be gross. When I looked at them on the 740 the plastic was so old and rotted that it was booger consistency. I ended up cutting the harness and splicing in a Bosch style 4 post relay. All good now.
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, B-cam
-90' 744 AW70:( stock as a rock
-94' M-Edition Miata-Stock with a hardtop
Past
-80' 242gt m46-
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g
-92' 940 turbo, got for free, fixed, sold
Feedback Thread

can't replace u joints
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
darksider415
K-Jet or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
No pulse/weak pulse to injectors can be caused by bad CPS, RSR, corroded resistor pack, bad ecu, and some other things. Does the vehicle start on starting fluid?

If you are certain your injector grounds are clean, you should remove the connector for the resistor pack and file the spades clean down to bare metal. Being corroded caused a no start on my 940t. Do you feel the RSR click in KP2? You can bypass the relay temporarily by removing it and jumping the 12v wire (should be red) to whatever wire gives power to the injectors. I believe itís striped. Youíll have to look at a wiring diagram though.

As lummert mentioned, RSR connections can be gross. When I looked at them on the 740 the plastic was so old and rotted that it was booger consistency. I ended up cutting the harness and splicing in a Bosch style 4 post relay. All good now.
No CPS on a 2.2 car, just hall effect in the dizzy. Since he has spark, that rules out the hall effect.

OP is right, in that the RSR /should/ prevent power from getting to the injectors if it fails, but if he's got a spare, it takes 10 seconds to swap. I'd suspect the fuel pump relay before the ECU or wiring, since 88 has the decent wiring, and the fuel pump relay controls both the pumps and the injection.

A noid light will be your best friend on injection diagnosis, though.

'80 Volvo 242GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdriver123 View Post
You have to remember, TB members are experts on everything, except keeping Volvo's running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centason
This place is like a brothel. Men, women, tits, vag, dicks, fish, and mikep. What else could anyone ask for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
She has a weird 262C fetish thing going on
darksider415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider415 View Post
No CPS on a 2.2 car, just hall effect in the dizzy. Since he has spark, that rules out the hall effect.

OP is right, in that the RSR /should/ prevent power from getting to the injectors if it fails, but if he's got a spare, it takes 10 seconds to swap. I'd suspect the fuel pump relay before the ECU or wiring, since 88 has the decent wiring, and the fuel pump relay controls both the pumps and the injection.

is the RSR the same as the A/C fan relay on those cars? may be an easy way to test it.
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
is the RSR the same as the A/C fan relay on those cars? may be an easy way to test it.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
You've tried the boost pressure over pressure switch. How good are the connections at the radio suppression relay?
The connections are good at the RSR. I just soldered some sh***y looking splice connectors and cleaned them up, but still no difference.
Quote:

If you are certain your injector grounds are clean, you should remove the connector for the resistor pack and file the spades clean down to bare metal. Being corroded caused a no start on my 940t. Do you feel the RSR click in KP2? You can bypass the relay temporarily by removing it and jumping the 12v wire (should be red) to whatever wire gives power to the injectors. I believe itís striped. Youíll have to look at a wiring diagram though.

Last I checked, it ran on starting fluid. But not since I replaced the EZK module, but I haven't exactly tried either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider415 View Post

Yes, already replaced the hall sensor. The fuel pump relay is kicking on when it should. The injector side clicks on with the key on and stays until I turn the key off, and the pump side clicks on while cranking and holds until shortly after. And it sounds like it's clicking on and off while cranking... is that normal behavior?

I'll have to pick up a set of noid lights today just to be sure. No point in fiddling with the test light anymore.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
PromiseRing

Oops I missed the part where you said 88 no CPS. I would definitely check the resistor pack for corrosion more closely.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Labscope.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #15
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Picked up a set of noid lights earlier this afternoon and tested the injector connectors again. The injectors are definitely not getting a pulse signal.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
PromiseRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
Picked up a set of noid lights earlier this afternoon and tested the injector connectors again. The injectors are definitely not getting a pulse signal.

RSR
Ballast resistor pack connector
Injector grounds

Do you 100% have spark? Did you try starting fluid again?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I will check those things tomorrow. Where are the injectors grounded other than through the ECU? The ECU grounds are all good as well.
I’m 100% sure I have spark. My spark tester shows a signal. I have yet to try the starting flud again because it’s a bit of a pain doing that without help. I’ll give that another try tomorrow as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #18
PromiseRing

The 2 10mm bolts on the intake manifold are your injector grounds.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
bmdubya1198
Board Member

And that should show ground at any point? I thought that the injectors were NOT supposed to be grounded unless the ECU was doing so?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Those are not injector grounds.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Those are not injector grounds.
That's what I thought. I remember you or someone else saying that in one of my other threads.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #22
PromiseRing

Pretty sure without the grounds being clean and tight the car won’t run. Are they the grounds for the ecu?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #23
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Pretty sure without the grounds being clean and tight the car wonít run. Are they the grounds for the ecu?
From what I understand they are the grounds for the ECU, and they are all clean and tight.

I tested the ballast resistor, about 12.6 ohms between each of the terminals. Proper spec from what I understand.
As I've said before, RSR clicks on as it's supposed to. Whatever this issue is is coming from the ground side of the injectors, not the power side. They have sufficient power.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #24
PromiseRing

if those grounds arenít clean, the ecu isnít grounded, which means the injectors canít be grounded. My statement remains then, they are also injector grounds.

Did you try starting fluid yet?

And just because the RSR clicks doesnít mean 100% forsure that the injectors are receiving full current. You could bypass the relay just for safe measure. Run 12v directly from the battery to the output wire of the relay (look at a diagram).
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #25
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Good enough!
Haven't tried the starting fluid, been on and off raining all day and never got the chance to do that. But I still see no reason why it wouldn't run on it.
I will try the bypass tomorrow.