• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1981 242 fuse blow

logboy

Fuse 13 keeps blowing in my 81 242. It blows when the key is turned all the way. Also my turn signals don't work, not sure if that's related. Anyone have any ideas?

That would explain why turn signals are not working. Not a lot of things on fuse 13. Start looking at some YouTube vids on tracing a short and start with your turn signals. Others may have suggestions.
Dave B

1360304fusecover.png

That would explain why turn signals are not working. Not a lot of things on fuse 13. Start looking at some YouTube vids on tracing a short and start with your turn signals. Others may have suggestions.
Dave B
The weird thing is the still wont work with the fuse in. The hazards still work though.

Seatbelt reminder wire is loose and grounded in the center console?
I will take a look

Or one or more turn signal wires worn through where they go through headlight backing plate area.

fuse 13: Instruments, Turn signals, Relay fuel injection, Seat belt warning
http://www.autogenius.info/volvo-dl-gl-glt-1981-fuse-box-diagram/

I think it might be something with the fuel injection system. what is a common fail point? I have tried unplugging the in-tank pump, main fuel pump, fuel injection relay. still no luck.

Although, my seat belt warning light doesn't light up. When is that supposed to come on? After I have already turned the key? Fuse pops at position II of turning the key.

Seat belt warning is on fuse 4. The label Dave posted is for 1985-86 cars, so it's not very accurate for the older cars.

Has the wiring harness on the engine been taken care of? If not, you may have a short circuit in that, causing the fuse to blow. Another possibility is a short in the instrument cluster's circuit board. Pretty much check any blue with red stripe wires for damage or shorts.

Has the wiring harness on the engine been taken care of?

I don't think so. The previous owner said he was having trouble with it. Its also covered in engine oil in the engine bay, so that probably doesn't help anything

Unplug all the wires on the right side of the fuse and reconnect them one at a time to determine which circuit has the short. Then figure out what isn't working.

I tried that, thank you. My dash lights and blinkers now work. Now to see what was on that other circuit. It must be the fuel system because I still cant start my car. Well, the seat belt warning hasn't lit up yet either, though.

Last edited:
Ok I fixed the problem. Somebody had spliced before the fuel pump relay and the other end was grounded. No more fuse pop but still not starting lol

Back