• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

dumb question: how loud is the ping in b230f/t?

weather

i'm posting the question here because there's probably more people familiar with the matter.

question is simple: how loud is the ping sound in b230f/ft? say, can you hear it in the cabin at highway speed with windows up? do you have to sort of look for it at that speed, or is it something that would stand out?

thanks.

Ummm depends on how bad it is. Example, you can have ping but only audible with scope or knock sensor. If you can hear any ping, to simulate this shake 2-3 quarters in a coffee can vigorously "warped in a thin sweater to simulate windows up at high speed. If you hear this stop now!

I kept thinking i heard ping. Check my build thread you'll understand why. But when you do hear it, its not a question youll know! It happened to me once when i could only get some crap gas and i kept the foot off the floor until i finished that tank of gas.

Yeah I was wondering how AFR would be affected by ping...

In my experience, it sounds like someone drumming on the head with a big screwdriver. Should be able to hear it with windows up or down at 70mph, but it is possible to drown it out with a really loud stereo. It may have been my imagination, but I could swear you can even feel it in your foot through the throttle cable (likely just my imagination).

The important thing is, if you hear it, back off the throttle IMMEDIATELY. All it takes is one day with the radio up loud and the windows down, AC on, uphill freeway merge on a really hot day, and ping ping ping hey guess what I just melted a valve. Guess I got off easy with just a valve though. I bet any non-redblock motor would have thrown a rod through the side of the engine.

on topic - I was unable to hear it in the car with the open downpipe.

Side exit allowed me to hear.

****ty summit muffler allowed me to hear lots :omg:

A good way to listen for ping, assuming it isn't super loud, is to accelarate next to a wall or median/divider so engine noise is bouncing into the cabin.

I started hearing this the other day.

I'm assuming ping is bad, but is there anything I can do to stop it?

start by running quality gas, i run chevron "supreme" it's premium, every time i go there i ask for premium and they remind me it's supreme...i think it's funny but they're probly annoyed by it.:-P

don't forget people, ping and O2 sensors often have nothing in common.

Correct, but I'm pretty sure a wideband would give a good idea that something is not right. Either you're running pig rich and look like a diesel with all the black smoke out the exhaust, or you're pinging.

Correct, but I'm pretty sure a wideband would give a good idea that something is not right.

No, pinging can happen even when the AFR is "right".

Other factors can cause the motor to ping:

Incorrect spark plug temp (needs to be dropped from factory on high boosted engines),
Carbon deposits,
Sharp edges in combustion chamber,
Undercooled engine,
Restrictive exhaust

Basically anything that can cause a "hot spot" in the engine.

Now running lean would also cause the same. But a wideband is no guarantee for elimination of pinging...

Either you're running pig rich and look like a diesel with all the black smoke out the exhaust, or you're pinging.

Also, if "you're running pig rich and look like a diesel with all the black smoke out the exhaust" and you ping, you're gonna go boom!!! that's all ;-)

As in explosive re-arrangement of engine internals (usually followed by depositing said internals about the roadway).

I just know, any time I used to get a little ping, I'd get black smoke out my exhaust. Because it detonated before the spark plug ignited, it's never going to get a complete burn. How is all that not going to show up on a wideband? I'm not saying a wideband is going to correct it. I'm just suggesting him use it to see what's going on in there, from a monitoring standpoint.

Get get a good datalog of the different engine parameters and you're going to get a pretty good idea if you're pinging or not.

There is a good article about the difference between pre-ignition, and detonation. Two very different things.

Benjam you're talking about pre-ignition, which you usually can't hear, and causes alot more damage than knock/ping/detonation.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you got incomplete burn from detonation there should be extra oxygen in the exhaust since all the fuel didn't burn and it would show lean even if it was richer than stoich, but only on the pinging cylinders. I could see the two balancing each other out meaning no big change in AFR.

Of course if you really want a way to identify ping they do make knock sensors specifically for this reason...

There is a good article about the difference between pre-ignition, and detonation. Two very different things.

Benjam you're talking about pre-ignition, which you usually can't hear, and causes alot more damage than knock/ping/detonation.

Do you have a link? I'd be interested in reading up on this.

EDIT: working on this one now I'll let you know what I think.
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/

Back