• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dawes Device and their A/F Meter

KBFinFan

So is the Dawes Device boost controller the best bang for the buck? The turboXS one looks cool, but then again it is more money. Also, even though there A/F meter only boasts 4 lights their argument is pretty convincing on why it is better, and I like how it is small. I am trying to prepare my supplies for a busy Thanksgiving volvo project. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.dawesdevices.com/

I promise, you won't be able to get any kind of reliable O2 reading from an LED-based A/F meter.

Try a digital one instead, such as www.jumptronix.com.

There is a big difference between the .05 volts showed on the LED style meters... big enough to mean the difference between blowing a hole in your piston and running a 13.

If I had the money, I'd go EGT and Wideband O2... thats the most accurate way to monitor the health of your motor. The jumptronix meter works very well however, and is pretty cheap.

I'm really not convinced that the Dawes Device A/F gauge is inferior. My engine shouldn't blow up as long as the yellow light is on. Its that simple...or so I thought.

I would appreciate more opinons on this subject. I'm gonna get one of these things soon, and if somebody has something relevant to share, especially somebody who actually has the DD gauge, That would be cool.

Michael

EGT's are really the best way to go imo along w/ a decent (led is fine) a/f.

I mean really, digital just doesn't look as cool as flashing lights! :p lol

No really, an EGT is next on my list, somewhere up in the DP so I can really know when I've cooled the motor enough.

Yeah, I've got one. Bought it on eBay from some guy who realised how limited it was, & now I'm passing the torch to a buddy. Mine's one of the older ones, where the first light comes on at .75 volts, the next one at .85, the next one at .90, the next one at .95, and the next one at 1.00. If you know O2 sensors, you know there ain't no such thing as 1.00 volts... Anyway, most of the time I'm running with the yellow light on under boost, but once the O2 sensor heats up the yellow won't come on anymore. What voltage am I reading? I dunno.

The thing is, if you had to buy a boost gauge, would you get a $40 one that has no numbers, or spend more on a graduated one?

What Bitjockey and Duck say is the truth man. eds just don't cut it. you need a real readout either form a gauge like the jumptronix that BJ suggested (which looks real good) or really a digital volteter.
An EGT gauge would be ideal, but whenever we talk about it it a lot of hmming and theorizing, since nobody seems to be using one and we can't even decide where to put it or what it should read. :roll:
The idea is to put it in the exhaust manifold runner of whatever cylinder runs leanest. I honestly don't think puttin it on the dowpipe, or anywhere post-turbo will do you much good since the turbo absorbs a TON of heat. Think about how useful it would be if you put it in your muffler..
What you are trying to measure is the actual temperatures being created by the combustion events. once you're past the turbo the readings are not very meaningful.
I think it'd be best off in whatever runner GP A used the bigger injector in- #3 I think?
Just some thoughts, we really should figure the egt thing out. I'll get one real soon.

Back