• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71L Accumulator Mod Issues

Do you have a copy of the manual? http://brickspeed.net/VolvoDocs/My-Scans/All-Cars/AW7x-Rebuild.pdf

page 101 4 check balls.

I still don't know if I understand what you're saying in your first post....
There were only two check balls in the valve body while my aw71 i replaced had 4............should I take two check balls out and run just two in the aw71L?.

Did you put an aw71L in place of aw71? Did you put in the aw71L torque converter?

Dropping the pan later tonight....I have a theory the kick down cable isn't retracting completely in the trans...I'll report back later after some beer and atf spillage

Put t all back together and the SAME THING KEEPS HAPPENING!!! Would this happen if the wrong fluid was used? I'm going to drain and refill everything and see if that works.

Did the transmission do this before you did the accumulator mod?

Did the transmission do this before you did the accumulator mod?

It wasn't driven during my ownership before I did the mod. When I was having them swapped I did the mod before the transmission went in the car....figuring it was empty and not wanting to get atf in my face in my lift-less garage. Had my local mechanic swap it in and he couldn't get it to shift right. Had it for two days trying to adjust it but I took it home and have been trying to fiddle with it myself. got frustrated and started to swap the alternator two nights ago but drank one beer too many and left the car as is since. I dropped the pan last night and took the valve body off to check everything inside was good and still the same.

According to the gent I bought it from...the previous owner overheated her car and the trans was in good order. Gent is a reputable seller here so I have good reason to believe him. When I shift it manually its fantastic. Just have to get it to shift on it's own.

Last edited:
The more I think about this issue the more tempted I am to go get the valve body rebuilt...seems that would cure my issue for sure as I have the proper fluid in the car

It would probably be better to find the problem first before you fix something that isn't broken.

It's also a whole lot easier to work on these things when they're out of the car.

When you did the accumulator mod, what else did you take apart?

I just did the accumulator mod. Drop the pan, gasket, filter, valve body, noticed the trans was missing two check balls, replaced them (stolen from original transmission), put new gasket on valve body (using Toyota truck part number because I couldn't find the Volvo one and in the description it said AW71....not sure if it mentioned AW71L now that I think about it, but aren't they the same? and if different why would manually shifting make a difference?), put filter back after cleaning it, and put pan in, put the trans in the car and filled it, only took 7-8 quarts and has repetitively measured on the dipstick as accurate, and test drove it.

Ok so first problem, who says it was missing the check balls? The aw71 and aw71l use different valve bodies so who is the say they have all of the same parts. Did you check the manual?

Ok so first problem, who says it was missing the check balls? The aw71 and aw71l use different valve bodies so who is the say they have all of the same parts. Did you check the manual?

I'll double check. I had a mechanic do the swap.....I'll have to poke into the green book....

Further digging...so I spoke to the mechanic that told me i was missing the check balls. they were in the lower part of the valve body. The aw71 and aw71L lower valve bodies seem to be the same minus the space for the lock-up function valves. Tonight I'm separating the valve body and really digging into this. Need to pick up a bunch of rags on my way home. The valve bodies have the same number of check balls in the lower part of the valve body. I'm thinking they may have accidentally misplaced a check ball and it is causing a blockage of some sort, preventing the trans from upshifting. The linkage doesnt seem to be the issue.

That is what I am thinking, this is why I am a fan of not opening it up, either way who opened up the first valve body ? When they did how did they determine that it was missing parts ?

Last edited:
That is what I am thinking, this is why I am a fan of not opening it up, either way who opened up the first valve body ? When they did how did they determine that it was missing parts ?

Green book to my knowledge. and had to open it because the paper gasket between the upper and lower bodies broken on the way out. I'll drop it tonight if i have time or tomorrow morning and check it out using the link one of you helpful gents provided. Only other thing i can think of it being is the governor....

Well the mechanic was right...dropped it and pulled it apart just now. I had all the reason to trust him but still wanted to check. They used the green book when checking the valve body set up. Its all together now. Going to check shifter linkage and pray. The bushings are shot so I'm just praying I get the linkage better. Need to make a set of stainless bushings.

Back