• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21A Cheap fun NA build.

Still waiting for the cam to arrive. Postal services out of Sweden are ****!. I would have bought the
belt from them too but they don't have any direct pay system i got, so i would need to wait for the
bank transfer and shipping which takes at least a week. The car is supposed to go to the track
Sunday morning.

The pinto belt is hard to get in Europe. Our parts supplier had no luck at all. When i decide to
upgrade the exhaust i'll order a few belt's along, Just not enough time now. To solve the problem i
made a bush to go over the tensioner pulley. It allows for enough tension on the belt. While at it
IMG_20180404_194924.jpg
i made the adjustable cam gear.

IMG_20180404_194924.jpg

IMG_20180404_202447.jpg

IMG_20180404_202839.jpg

The next issue is ignition timing. It still has the original point's type ignition, fine for now. Searched
the whole forum but couldn't find any usable info on it. I got the distributor on the ignition tester and
it seems to do 12 centrifugal degrees, all in on 1750 rpm. That would be 24 crank degrees on 3500
engine rpm's. I estimate i need somewhere between the 30 and 36 degrees total advance. That
would leave me with 6-12 degrees idle, which i guess is quite low for this type of cam isn't it?

ignition curve

Small update with a lot of happiness! The cam finally arrived Tuesday , When it was in place the Clarence was way to big and the thickest shims would be to thin. Turns out this cam has a bit smaller base circle. Made some 1mm lash caps to solve the issue and it's in place now. Had the first few pops out of it, sounds promising!. Next up is the ignition. Unfortunately no suggestions from this angle, I think iam going for no vacuum, 16 crank degrees centrifugal, with 18 base it should give 34 total. Suggestions are more than welcome!

Pinto engine in Europe usually refers to the SOHC 1.6 - 2.0 liter found in Taunus, Granada, Sierra and Scorpio from the 70’s and 80’s. Not the american Ford Pinto.

Pinto engine in Europe usually refers to the SOHC 1.6 - 2.0 liter found in Taunus, Granada, Sierra and Scorpio from the 70?s and 80?s. Not the american Ford Pinto.

Correct, bought a belt of those and they use round teeth, none of them square. The engine is running. Equipped the car with a 7k rev limiter and added an oil catch can to the pcv system. Got the points distributor out to see if i could reduce the mechanical advance. Found quite an easy and adjustable way to do that. I could post some images if there is intrest. It does 11 degrees now. Currently setup as 15 initial and (11x2) mechanical, vacuum removed. No pinging yet. The car needs a tune badly. Installed a wideband an saw it only runs nice at wot. To be continued !

Back