• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this 1987 Volvo 240 a good buy?

OP, just wondering, do you do your own repairs? $3k delivered sounds reasonable for a very clean unmolested car. Easy enough to do your own stage 0 then you know what you have. TB cars can also be good buys as they are maintained (hopefully ) by enthusiatic owners. Only downside is they're usually molested and a half heartbeat from the crusher.

Fixed.

OP, just wondering, do you do your own repairs? $3k delivered sounds reasonable for a very clean unmolested car. Easy enough to do your own stage 0 then you know what you have. TB cars can also be good buys as they are maintained (hopefully ) by enthusiatic owners. Only downside is some are prone to spirited driving.
I used to do my own work but, I don't have enough time for lengthy repairs anymore. After getting out of University I've had my Polestar but, It's hitting it's mileage limit on the lease and I get rid of it in a year so... Volvo 240 (probably plus another car I'll lease). I work full-time and Including my commute I have nearly 12 hour work days and I reserve the weekends for rest plus maybe some small projects but, I never have the energy to do too much with cars nowadays. Thanks for the response. So, TLDR: No, I don't nowadays

I am actually pretty aware of the disappearance... I wanted one as a college student and almost bought one... A year later and ZIP they're expensive and much harder to find!

I see running 924's and 944's in reasonable shape popping up for $2-4k on my local craigslist pretty frequently.

I almost picked up a 944 for $800 but the seller changed his mind after I gave him a deposit

There is a 944 across the street from me for sale. I think he is asking $300. Clutch and brakes both sink to the floor, needs a fender, bumper and lights, and the frame might need a spot of straightening. Supposedly the motor is good though. Doubt anyone cares enough to save it. I briefly considered it and then slapped myself.

I bought a 1980 924 back in the 1990s. It was a running driving car they sold me from the salvage yard. I think it was $600. The number three plug had a failed helicoil attempt which had jammed the spark plug that was in the engine. I sold it after about a year for the same money. It drove well but a pcv hose was $60 from Porsche and I had a lot of little things like that to go over on it. So I passed it on.

I can't stand the suspense . . . did you buy it or start looking for a Porsche.

Last edited:
I can't stand the suspense . . . did you buy it or start looking for a Porsche.

Haha, sorry... I was on a solo camping trip and no internet. I am going to buy it, I am on another trip and afterwards I'm getting the car. I like it too much to not.

Back