• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 242 winshield trim size new vs old style

N/Avolvo

I need to get my windshield replaced on my 242. I would like to go with the 91+ style. My only concern is if the new style windshield gasket is the same size or bigger than the old chrome trim. The car was repainted several years ago and I dont want the new rubber to be smaller and show a line of new/old paint around the windshield. thanks in advance.

I can't comment on dfferent versions of glass, but for whatever it's worth, I just had the windshield on my '85 replaced. I was told that OEM windshields are nolonger available. The windshield that was installed is about 1/4" more narrow so 1/8" of crud shows on either side. The new winshield doesn't curve as much at the bottom, making it look rather odd.

I've been pursuing this with a local shop. They assure me that the trim/seal on the new windshield can be removed before installation and replaced with trim that is a bit wider so as to not reveal the area that was covered by the old trim. Will pursue once I get the new engine in the car. This is a small mom/pop glass shop -- you won't get that kind of "problem solving" at the big/mainstream car glass places. And yes, it will cost a bit more than just popping the later model glass in unmodified.

Back