• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 (Noob) First "major" job. Hard Wiring rear lights

MightySteelcorePen

Alright. I have been reading up on how to do a hard wire for my rear lights. My turn signals just stopped working, and only enough tail lights work for the car to be road legal. I want to fix up the tailgate lights. I have a 1990 240 DL. Any advice for me on how to do it? "Obvious" pitfall that come with experience? I have also never soldered anything before. Any beginner pitfalls to avoid on that?

Best advice: Don't rush and don't be cheap with solder and flux(ie get the leaded rosin core stuff). Make sure you've got good wire for your grounding efforts.

In regard to soldering, I would add extra flux to each connection before soldering and clean off the residue when done. I would also get in bit of practice before doing anything on the car. If you need to use connectors for anything, then consider using Weather Pack, Metri-Pack, or Deutsch connectors. They are weatherproof and are less likely to get corroded compared to other types of connectors. WayTek Wire is a good source for automotive grade electrical supplies.

Soldering is stupid and I hate it. You said tailgate? Do you have a wagon? If you have wagon, the hardwiring is different because the stuff that sucks is the wires going through the hinges. You can fix these with crimps or bullets or w/e. If you have non-wagon... hardwiring is correct. It's also still sort of finicky.

If you are talking about a sedan you have 2 choices. Either solder them or use male female connectors on the bulb sockets. You will find that the male connector on the bulb sockets are not a standard size. What I did for a friend was to trim the tabs just enough so they would hold a female connector very tight, no solder needed. Worked for me. YMMV

I want to fix up the tailgate lights.

The tail gate wiring breaks at the hinges from 30 years of flexing. IPD sells a replacement harness but it is not the fine wire of the OEM Volvo harness and will not survive another 30 years. There is slack in the harness both above and below the hinge. Pull the cable through one way or the other to move the damaged point out of the hinge area and solder and insulate the individual wires.

Owning and maintaining the car since new in '82 I have repaired the harness twice using slack in both directions so I no longer have that repair capability. Bought the IPD harness and plan on splicing a 2 foot section of the original fine wire from further down the harness into the aftermarket cable. That should give me another 30 years of working tail lights and wiper operation.

This is not all that difficult a repair.

The 240 series are old enuf now that kids typically drive them (and few, if any "family folks/collectors"), consequentially many non-urban authorities aren't as forgiving regarding the silly Volvo taillight soap oprah :roll:

Last edited:
Back