• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Checking out an 86 240DL

Nice looking car but unrunning it is worth $1,000 max.

If it is a simple fix tell him to fix it and give you a call.

It does look to be in ok to average condition inside, outside doesn't look as good. Since he only took exterior pics of the front and driver's side I would guess the passenger side and rear are probably banged up/look worse. Manual trans is desirable and the little gauges are cool.

There aren't really any hard and fast rules, only general guidelines. For example, if it only needs a simple and cheap fix: he would already have done it. You can immediately discredit any explanation he gives as to why it doesn't run because he probably doesn't know. Don't try and be a wise guy and fix it or offer your thoughts as to why it doesn't run before you have the signed title in your hand, as this always bites me in the ass.

Someone already said a grand above, I personally think that's pretty high for a non collectable car that doesn't run. Without the engine running, there is no way to know if anything else is working: like the clutch and the trans and the electrical system and brakes and suspension and... you get it. There are just too many unknowns. Try and explain that cordially before negotiating price.

Show up with a trailer and cash in your pocket. Tell him you're ready to drag it out of his yard right now and ask what his bottom dollar cash price is. He'll probably throw out a number less than what the ad said, and then you can go from there.

TL;DR From what I can see from the ad, I probably wouldn't go over $500. But they aren't getting any more common, and you may take a look at it and immediately know (or have a good idea) of why it isn't running, so it may be worth it to go higher.

My 87 245 daily driver was $900 and I drove it home. The 86 245 with the blown headgasket was $200 but I had to tow it. If you include 7 and 9 series, there are half a dozen running and driving bricks for sale for $1000 or less on my Craigslist right now.

If you can't get a ****ty year, broken down 244 that's been sitting for a nickel... then keep looking. There's another one that's nicer a block over.

Last edited:
Go check it out, bring some jumper cables and try to start it.

See if it turns over, has fuel, has spark.

Look for anything obvious.

If runs OK: offer $900; if not, offer half that.

Alternately, go to check it out with a bag of spark plugs in tow. An old volvo mechanic friend of mine got a free 740 turbo 'not running,' swapped the plugs and drove it home. He claims that's the ONLY thing he did.

It looks nice from above, has the mini-tach and oil pressure (?) gauges, and the leather shift boot.
I can see at most one possible crack in the plastic piece that fits over the cluster and glove compartment (they all seem to have these cracks, of course). Looks to me like the car was loved for a long while before it reached its current state. I think it's probably missing a piece of the trim in the back on the outside.

If you go to see it, check the underside as best you can for rust, though. I saw a very nice looking '88 wagon I almost bought, but the underside had holes going all the way through to the carpet. Scary stuff.

I bought my 93 245 for $300 with blown HG. Sitting a couple months etc.

People typically try to go with the "scrap" argument... then I just tell them to call the scrap dealers and say I'll beat their price by 25%. They get offered $200 if they're lucky, and I buy the car for $250 if they're pricks, or $300 if they were cool about it all.

Go over with a fuel pump relay and a power stage. If it's a simple fix, let's see him prove it.

No, tow it home after purchasing for $250 or so, then fix it in your driveway. Wait better yet, sign the title, and fix it in HIS driveway.

I made the mistake of fixing a 240 in front of the owner before buying it. Price went from $300 to $800. **** that guy.

I bought my 93 245 for $300 with blown HG. Sitting a couple months etc.

People typically try to go with the "scrap" argument... then I just tell them to call the scrap dealers and say I'll beat their price by 25%. They get offered $200 if they're lucky, and I buy the car for $250 if they're pricks, or $300 if they were cool about it all.

That sounds like a cool strategy to adopt if all other negotiations fail. You could end up sounding like a prick if they are a little attached to their car, though.

The rusty 240 wagon I almost bought had been named "Nigel" by the owner. She really liked the car and looked at it through rose-colored glasses... The tailgate was so rusty that the lock mechanism didn't work and neither did the brake light on the rear - that was the only rust visible unless you went under the car, but she even played that down. Also the missing interior plastic panels. And the ripped vinyl on the driver seat. Wanted around $1500 for it, IIRC. I really want a wagon and I liked the person, so I really felt terrible for turning down her horrible deal. Don't know if I could actually use the "scrap dealer" argument, because all these cars are too precious to me and I'm a horrible liar.

Non-running I'd offer $500, or tell him he can fix it and you'll give him $1,000 or whatever for it. If it were really a simple fix he would have fixed it himself. There are other problems lurking, there always are, people don't sell classic cars that have been well maintained. It will need all new hoses, fluids, bushings, usually brakes need attention, AC is always dead, etc. 240s aren't as cheap as they used to be but a non-running car is almost never worth much.

That sounds like a cool strategy to adopt if all other negotiations fail. You could end up sounding like a prick if they are a little attached to their car, though.

The rusty 240 wagon I almost bought had been named "Nigel" by the owner. She really liked the car and looked at it through rose-colored glasses... The tailgate was so rusty that the lock mechanism didn't work and neither did the brake light on the rear - that was the only rust visible unless you went under the car, but she even played that down. Also the missing interior plastic panels. And the ripped vinyl on the driver seat. Wanted around $1500 for it, IIRC. I really want a wagon and I liked the person, so I really felt terrible for turning down her horrible deal. Don't know if I could actually use the "scrap dealer" argument, because all these cars are too precious to me and I'm a horrible liar.

The people I bought this car off of were actually quite attached to it. I basically said listen... You guys want some value for your car because it's worth something to you. I understand that, and I'm a car guy. What I can offer you is what I think a fair price is for this vehicle in this condition. I can't hear it run, and it COULD end up being a money pit. But I'll offer you more than the scrap guy, and I told them my plan for the car so I said I guarantee that it will be brought back to life, and live on in glory.

They were much more into this approach.

You showed up in the right stage of their selling process, ie it had already been for sale for a while, reality set in, and they had to let it go.

Now matter how charming you are, an emotionally attached seller will tell anyone that starts negotiating from scrap to go pound sand and some will actually scrap it before letting it go to a private seller that tells them their baby is worthless out of spite.

So what happened OP, are you the owner yet or what?

Suspension=unknown if you can't test drive. Prob need everything figure $500 there
Heater fan work? $300-500
How's the main engine wiring harness? $100-$250
Check exhaust components $100-$300
Looks meh/average. Manual is ok but prob needs rear trailing arm bushings and a driveline mount/motor mounts/etc etc. -$more

Probably a decent car that only needs $1000-$1400 and a weekend or two to be a daily

You showed up in the right stage of their selling process, ie it had already been for sale for a while, reality set in, and they had to let it go.

Now matter how charming you are, an emotionally attached seller will tell anyone that starts negotiating from scrap to go pound sand and some will actually scrap it before letting it go to a private seller that tells them their baby is worthless out of spite.

So what happened OP, are you the owner yet or what?

Agreed.

Back