• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some injector recommendation...

qwkswede

Old and Slow
300+ Club
Hey folks. It has been a long time I know. But I'm still around...

I have the itch to run e85 in my 240 and explore using a flex fuel sensor feeding megasquirt. It is something I never did in the past with my other E85 tunes.

So I started searching the internet for injectors in the 50-100lb/hr range and high impedence. But the selection is suddenly overwhelming with all the newer different format injectors these days. There are adapters to make em longer, adapters to change the plugs. So many different lenghts available too. I just can't navigate the sea of choices out there. Completely overwhelmed.

What is a cheapskate Volvo tuner to do???

1. I see some really cheap things on ebay, that I assume must be asian sourced? Are they usable?

2. Is there any reasonably priced injectors that people like that meet those requirements in 2018?

I have run these large body rochestor/delphi injectors in the past with good results. $53 each at fivomotorports.com. Are these the ones you are referring to? They come in a 75lb/hr variety. And some other sizes too it seems.

If there is no good reason to run some of the modern tiny injectors, then I am good with these old school units.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 17113743-85lb_a_600.jpg
    17113743-85lb_a_600.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Yup, same style I've got Ken. I bought mine years ago from Racetronix. Nice thing as well, I was able to go #1 larger with a Holley branded one, to throw into #3, which actually got the plug readings to look pretty good.

I worked on a megasquirt car that was running around denver. And someone sold him some of the tiny Bosch EV14 injectors with adapter fittings, and adapter plugs. I think they were 95lb. They were sold to him with promises of superior fuel economy, better power, very short opening times, and high impedence etc. They were neat looking little injectors and probably really expensive. But, I thought they were a bit tricky to tune around idle. They seemed non-linear (in a qualitative way). ie. My fuel map was not very smooth around idle.

Anyway, maybe I am answering my own question. Just thought I might be falling behind on my tech knowledge.

Thanks braintrust dudes. I needed that.

I have no idle issue with 1000cc injectors on MS. My buddy has 1200cc injectors on MS and no idle issue either.

Unless they injectors are not working correctly; fuel economy, idle quality, power delivery, etc, all in the tune. I know for the injector dead are probably wrong, I can still get the car to idle nice and get better gas mileage with MS than stock ECU.

Yeah, I know that is mostly true. I have run as big as 2000cc injectors on ms too. It is never a problem to get satisfactory driveability. But there is some difference with atomization and "smoothness" and economy with different injectors. It isn't quite as black and white as tuning.

I have no idle issue with 1000cc injectors on MS. My buddy has 1200cc injectors on MS and no idle issue either.

Unless they injectors are not working correctly; fuel economy, idle quality, power delivery, etc, all in the tune. I know for the injector dead are probably wrong, I can still get the car to idle nice and get better gas mileage with MS than stock ECU.

get some deka 80s. a set of 8 is 330 bucks, they drop into the Volvo intake and are hi res, also you can sell the extra 4 and come out ahead of the game

Yea true, but then you should get them flowed, then depending on what injectors were previously in there you need to get a jumper harness if they make one or you may have to make one yourself, or repin. Then you need to get spacers. It adds up fast.

So I ordered up some siemens deka 80s. I found some info on the spray patterns of the new gen siemens and also my previous favorite delphi low Z units. I never had any running problems with the delphis, but they spray a liquid heavy pencil stream. The newer injectors do a nicer job atomizing the fuel. That should help with cold starts and fuel efficiency I hope. The siemens dekas have high Z coils too, so I don't have to worry about resistors.

Also it is hard to go wrong with a set of 4 high Z 80# injectors for a little over $200. I hope they live up to the hype. They look good on paper.

The dekas are nice, you will have a good amount of overhead with them. Are you running the micro as pure batch fire? Or semi batch like you could with ms2, I forget if you can do that with the micro

Link to the ones you grabbed and the previous favorite? You've got my mind wandering now, since MS will be going back on over the next few weeks and off to the dyno tuner I hope, before Davis.

First image is the old school low-z delphis. They come in many sizes. I have run a few of these in my cars over the years. And my brother in law has a set in his turbo ford ranger. They are a pretty solid design really.

Second is the Siemens Deka IV. They are a somewhat more modern design. But I think these ones were designed as aftermarket replacements for older cars with the early Bosch connector and the longer injector length. So they drop right in to the Volvos too.

Attachments

• delphi 850.JPG
    delphi 850.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 127
  • siemens deka 4 825.JPG
    siemens deka 4 825.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 130
Back