home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Messed around a little more this weekend, got the fuel injectors disconnected from the lines (PB Blaster and patience FTW) and replaced the enrichment switch on the firewall. The existing one was well done.

Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #27
snailmale
Board Member

I'm in the middle of pulling the intake manifold myself. Just curious, but how did you handle the throttle body & its linkages? Did you separate them from the intake and then take them out one-by-one or did you just keep them on the IM, disconnect the linkages, and pull the sucker out of the car?

- '83 245 Turbo
snailmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #28
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

^Probably easiest to leave the throttle body on. Disconnect throttle spool arm from throttle body, then remove the bolts holding the spool to the manifold. If your car had the non-cruise spool, then you can just unclip the cable and remove the end from the spool.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46.

@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #29
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I just took it out as a unit, I didn't remove the throttle body. Someone who had worked on the car in the past had already disconnected the throttle cable and kickdown cable but if they hadn't I would have disconnected those. I don't see why you'd need to break it down any further than that. I left the IAC motor and hoses attached too.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #30
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I poked around a bit more over the weekend, found a few more melty bits. I'm going to rebuild the firewall fuel lines with new nylon tubing, I originally thought that the return would be the only one that needed work but upon closer inspection the supply line has a burnt spot on the back too and I'd rather be safe than sorry. The insulation on the body harness is generally in good shape but I found a couple places (wiper motor, ground wiring) where the insulation is crumbly, gonna have to fix that up. I bought some NOS injectors too, judging by the boxes they'd been on the shelf for a while but they should still work OK.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #31
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Replaced the kickdown cable over the weekend. The fluid looked good and there was minimal gunk in the pan so I'm optimistic about the condition of the transmission. The dipstick tube even came loose without too much trouble. It's so nice working on a car without any rust on it. The old kickdown cable was melted and it wouldn't move at all so it's not surprising that someone cut the end off. I'm probably going to want to replace the speedometer cable too, it runs through the same area as all the other melted stuff and since the throttle and kickdown cables were both stuck I bet it's a goner too.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #32
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I've also been window shopping for suspension parts, seems like the GAZ adjustable shocks/struts are the current hotness?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #33
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Just put in an order with Dave Barton so that I can tackle the wiring harness. Ignoring the splicefest on the firewall, the only area of the body harness with insulation falling off is the branch that goes to the windshield washer pump so that shouldn't be too hateful to sort out.

Last edited by kampman; 04-01-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Old 04-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #34
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

My wiring stuff showed up from Dave Barton and I ordered the stuff to fix the fuel lines from Belmetric, should be getting here this week. I went ahead and cut out the rat's nest of engine wiring from the PO since I have a few things to do on the intake side of the motor and I was tired of having it in the way. I got a new PCV box since the old one was a little melty, it probably would have worked fine but I figured I'd address it since I had access. Whoever had the car in the past must have kept up with the gaskets and PCV system - the block is dirty but it's not caked in oil like a lot of redblocks I've worked on. I also peeled the tape off the wiring over the downpipe just to see how bad it had gotten, of course it's toast.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #35
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

One other thing - I haven't paid a lot of attention to the warmup/control pressure regulator until now but the one in the car is an 079. Shouldn't an '84 with the enrichment switch on the firewall have a 128? Probably doesn't matter but I'm assuming this one is cruddy from sitting and if I can find a good used one I'd rather get the "right" part.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #36
white855T
Board Member

Every 240 turbo that I've seen has a wiring harness like that. Good for you for fixing it the correct way.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #37
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I bought some ratcheting crimpers so I could up my wiring game for this project. They showed up yesterday so I broke them in by fixing the wiring I posted above - I used Dave Barton's connector pigtails and I'm really happy with the results.

The driver's side 8 pin connector is going to be more challenging though - whoever "fixed" the wiring in the past just crimped the engine "harness" directly to the body side wiring in that spot instead of using a connector so it was pretty mangled. I pulled the body harness into the driver's side footwell for better access, and I've tracked down all the wires that should be in that connector except for one. I can't find any trace of the gray wire that connects to the block temperature switch for the lambda system.

The only gray wire (or dirty white wire, kind of hard to say) in that branch of the harness is connected to the passenger side turn/park lamp, which is correct according to the wiring diagram. Based on the diagram it seems like the block temp switch and the blue firewall pressure switch are both connected to the same pin of the lambda ECU, but I haven't been able to find the wire that would connect to the pressure switch either, so I'm wondering whether it takes a different path through the harness or whether it's missing entirely.

I wish I could find one of these cars in a junkyard so that I could at least look at how the harness is supposed to be before proceeding.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #38
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I was going to throw out the hood insulation blanket since it had a burnt spot on it and I found another reason to get rid of it when I pulled it down. There’s no mouse smell in the interior so I think this is as far as they got but boy did they get busy.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #39
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Progress has stalled out a little on this but I'm hoping to get back to it soon - I'm still accumulating parts though. I found an NOS fuel distributor on eBay for less than the cost of a rebuilt one so I snagged it - the box was gross but the FD itself was still wrapped in plastic. Pretty neat to see one fresh out of the package. I salvaged the fittings from the firewall fuel lines in preparation for building new ones. hiperfauto cleared up the last question I had about the firewall wiring for the pressure switch so I can start working on repairing that - I appreciate them looking at their car and confirming the wire routing. Finally I have a replacement speedo cable on the way, everyone Stateside who said they could get a Gemo speedo cable ended up canceling my orders. I found one in the UK for about the same $ so hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.

Last edited by kampman; 05-13-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #40
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Despite the pandemic I've been busier than ever with my job so my garage time has been scarce. I did get a chance to swap the speedo cable, the existing (and probably original) one got burnt and the plastic nut at the speedo end was broken off so I went ahead and swapped it out.

My first attempt at making new fuel lines didn't go well. I wanted to be sure they wouldn't leak so I got some Oetiker clamps to put over the fittings. The ID of the clamps was too small, but I'm dumb and I tried to force them over the fittings. It ended up nicking the tubing. Blerg. Gonna try again soon.

Old:

New (1234490 is the right PN for this application):

The business end:

Last edited by kampman; 06-19-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Old 06-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #41
volvowagoon
Board Member

I'm so glad that my cars didn't have the biodegradable harnesses. I'm also glad to see that another OG turbo car is getting the restoration it deserves!

1986 Buick Grand National - The show car
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The fun car
2010 C30 T5 - My daily
1989 245 DL - Fiance's daily

IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #42
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Thanks dude, I hope to do it justice! Your blue wagon is looking great.

Last edited by kampman; 06-19-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 06-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #43
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Spent a little time on the car yesterday. I installed the new injectors and replaced the injector seals. The big donut seals for the injectors were probably fine but the seals on the holders weren't in great shape. 3 of the 4 were either broken or broke when I pulled the holders. I took the intake manifold gasket off and cleaned the mating surfaces. I also pulled the fuel filter, surprisingly the fuel inside wasn't too gross. Finally I inspected the plugs - 3 of them were sooty like the photo and 1 was spotless, none of them were very worn though. Seems like this car got a tuneup right before the fire.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #44
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

I took last week off work so I knocked out a few things. Got new tires for the Virgos since the existing ones were lost causes. I went with 195/65R15s since the roads around here aren't the greatest and I'd rather not bend any of the wheels. Since the wheels were off I looked at the brakes on all 4 corners. I'm going to replace the front calipers and the pads, rotors, and hoses - the hoses have 1982 date codes so I think they're ready to retire. The front calipers are in good shape aside from the piston dust seals so I think I'm going to hold on to them and attempt a rebuild for next time. I also took a peek under the strut boots and it looks like the car still has the original Decarbons, dunno if they're still any good but I guess we'll see.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #45
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

And who should call but the wheel shop? I got Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs from Tire Rack, they get good reviews and they had a $50 rebate going so hopefully they'll do well for the sort of things I expect to do with this car (highway cruising, C&C, etc.) The shop road force balanced them and they didn't come back with much weight on them so seems like the wheels are at least reasonably straight.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #46
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Got the car back on its wheels, glad I went with the 195/65R15 tires. The wheel gap looks huge in the pics for some reason but in person they fill the wheel wells nicely without being balloons. I have orders coming from FCP and IPD to fill in what I need for the brake system so I'll probably tackle that next.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #47
brickborg
Board Member

Really digging this car- nice work so far!
brickborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #48
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

Haven’t updated in a while, sorry. My job got absolutely insane this year and between that, the pandemic, and the political circus in the US I just haven’t had much motivation to make progress on this. I’ve also basically quit driving except for a trip to Costco every other week or so, so I just haven’t needed another car.

Since my last update I mostly redid the brakes (still need to replace lines and calipers on the rear) and I bought a replacement fuel tank. I’m waiting for a big package from Skandix that has all the parts I need to install the tank. I also got a Simons sport exhaust since the one on the car is almost completely rusted out after the downpipe. Hopefully once I have the tank back in the car I’ll have motivation to start working my way forward and finish the rest of the fuel system. I’m setting a soft goal for myself to have the car running by Easter.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #49
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Looking great!!!

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote