home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-10-2020, 04:12 AM   #176
snailmale
Board Member

It took a lot of straining and pulling, but I got that water pump on there.

While the videos helped, many of them are for B230 cars, which have an extra stud by the water pipe. I found it was easiest to align the water pipe, loosely thread the nuts, and install the bolts from the left starting with the bottom, lifting appropriately to get the holes aligned. I accidentally got a bit of PB blaster on the Hepu gasket, so I'll be considering adding a genuine Volvo gasket to my next trip to the dealer if it leaks.

You could also rent a boroscope like I did. Point camera at hole and wiggle pump to line up holes. Insert bolt.

Also took the driver's side female housing off. The bullets look fine, though this hard bend being as inflexible as it is has me concerned. I'll probably add some fresh wires since I suspect it's also petrified.

En route from FCP is a big box of stuff including a radiator, because the one in the car is in much worse shape than I'd like.

I really ought to hurry since I'll need to get this car up & running to take it to my new place that's an hour away.

- '83 245 Turbo

Last edited by snailmale; 11-10-2020 at 04:19 AM..
snailmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #177
snailmale
Board Member

Timing belt is now on the car and the gears remain aligned after two revolutions. There was a bit of a heart-stopping moment when I realized the intake cam gear bolt wasn't fully tightened, but that was quickly fixed.

FYI: The $3.99 Harbor Freight picks are perfect for checking gear alignment. Might as well get some use out of them now that I have a seal tool.

The tensioner had seen better days. That has been thoroughly cleaned and the spring given a light coating of white lithium grease.

For fun, I read through the packet of receipts that came with the car and it would suggest that the previous timing belt replacement took place over a decade ago...

You've come a long way, baby. Timing belt cover is also back on the car, though the long 10mm/M6 bolt has some chewed up threads that require me to source a replacement.

FCP Euro just delivered my new parts in three large shipments, but I keep forgetting to order those wires from Dave Barton...

Last edited by snailmale; 11-13-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #178
snailmale
Board Member

Unfortunately this project may be taking a bit of a break in the near future . My new apartment won’t allow me to do work on-site in my garage so I’ll need to evaluate my options, none of which involve selling it.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #179
snailmale
Board Member

Update from last week: Tightened the last of the drive belts with my handy pry bar and electric socket! The new radiator went in but one of the fins was every so slightly bent. :(

Also changed out the little plastic pins that hold the headlights in. Front end pieces feel much more solid now. Grill pins are a little different. Not sure if I should hold out for a turbo grill but I'm too impatient for that!

The coolant bottle is putting up a bit of a fight and I still need to tighten the fat red cable to the alternator. Still, it's progress! For fun, I dabbed a little rubber restorer on the bumper. Looks better.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #180
DD Ranch
Board Member

Great to see this. Nice work.

I just skipped through the whole thread - but I didn't see how you tackled the floor rust. Did I miss it?

I just found some rust in the pass. side floor of my 84 244.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #181
snailmale
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
Great to see this. Nice work.

I just skipped through the whole thread - but I didn't see how you tackled the floor rust. Did I miss it?

I just found some rust in the pass. side floor of my 84 244.
Did not have time to tackle the floor rust, but I did tackle the battery tray rust. Spent a bunch of time grinding & applying Naval Jelly and then some Rustoleum Rust Converter.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #182
snailmale
Board Member

Made more progress this past weekend. All coolant hoses are in, but I'm still trying to get that strap back on the overflow tank. Not sure if it's a "well it was cheap for a reason..." or I'm just not putting enough force on it.

Also reinstalled the "old" battery tray. It'll have to do until I can source the plastic one from a later car. Fresh bolts are better than what was originally one, so I guess that's something.

Began splicing in new wires. Had to 2x check to see if it was the 1.0 sq. mm wire and not the thicker one for the black ground wire, but it looks like it was just an optical illusion. All others have been successfully crimped on, though the white one is a bit longer. I'll wrap this one a little more. Will put the black wire on maybe this weekend? Also couldn't find my heat gun so I didn't have a chance to see how well this heat-shrink crimp connector works.

I splurged a bit this time - purchased a Klein ratcheting crimper, Klein wire stripper (use the 18AWG), and the nice 18-22 AWG heat shrink crimp connectors from Home Depot. Splurged a bit more last night purchasing the Turbo coupler from iPd, which was a few bucks more than my usual source but I absolutely need this ASAP and can't afford for Volvo Classic to have parts shortages.

Getting ever closer to putting this back on the road! The old gas worries me, but this is such a dry environment that it hasn't smelled like it's varnished yet. The 2004 date code tires still hold air, so I think I can limp it a mile down the road to the tire shop for new Goodyears and brake fluid when the day comes.

Last edited by snailmale; 01-12-2021 at 10:13 PM..
Old 01-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #183
snailmale
Board Member

Made great progress yesterday! My friend who owns the garage (and the house it's attached to) wants to install a new roof, which means the garage needs to be emptied out ASAP so they can load stuff in there.

Finished the passenger-side harness today, but it turns out I don't have the right connector, so it's another trip to the Dave Barton store. I will have to repair the driver's side red wire as the insulation cracked while putting on the new connector housing. Or just put more tape on it.

Biggest achievement was getting the intake manifold back on. Those pictures I took when I started helped me piece it all back together. There were a few moments of breath-holding (weaving hoses around wires and having to slightly wedge apart the fuel lines to get the intake manifold gasket in), but all-in-all it went on much easier than it did coming off. Also went ahead and plugged in some of the vacuum lines back onto the intake manifold. Plugging the IACV sensor was no fun at all, but I got it on there. It's looking more and more like a car now!

NGK BP7ES plugs are in too and it took forever because the Home Depot socket kept losing the rubber insert onto the plug. It was easier to just hand-tighten and use the socket without the insert to "tighten" them in.

Things left to do: strap in the coolant bottle, order & install the new passenger-side connector, cut new fresh-air pipe, and reinstall turbo pipes & couplers.