• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Machine Shop Sloppyness?

Justin

Banned
So today I finally got around to taking that 531 head off of the shelf and out of the plastic bag it was in. I noticed that there were metal shavings in one of the holes for the head bolts and even a few smaller flakes around walls by the cam.. :wtf:

I took an air gun and blew out the hole that they were in - and then noticed the smaller bits stuck in the light oil thats all over it.

Has anyone else ever gotten items back from the machine shop that contained metal shavings in it? Just curious how common this is cause obviously I would like to think that no one else would put them there on purpose. But if Butler McMaster seriously is that sloppy with such a great reputation I'm friggen worried about the work I had them do..

I paid them to wash it, grind seats, install new valves, adjust/shim them - and plane it 5 thousandths.. but not in that damn order :grrr:

I've always had parts machined and done the assembly myself for just that reason. I don't know why. I figured they just didn't clean anything because they figure the customer will want to do it anyway, but this isnt the first time Ive heard of someone getting an assembled part with machining bits still in it. I simply dont understand it.

In my expiriences its a given to blow out all bolt hole, passeges, and ports etc... I have had this happen to me as well, i didnt fret over it. Just done the normal steps before install and all is well. If they have a good reputation then dont think more into them doin shady work. Sometimes those little bits find the darndest spots, and dont show themselves till you move the head around and upside down during inspection. Again just thouroly clean with brake clean if it bothers you (as i do), and blow it out good. Then install.

I have had that from one lousy shop, but my local guy gets stuff back to me freakishly clean. Tanked my redblock 3 times to get all the buildup out of the galley, and trying to get the paint off to prep it for my painting it.

Compressed air and brake clean should get it clean and dry.

If you pick it up assembled i would assume that they should of cleaned it. If its unassembled they should clean it anyways but I would check anyways. Unless you specifically ask them not to clean it.

I make it a habit to check everything that goes into/on an engine for cleanliness. I just had to dig a munch of metal shavings out of the inside of a brand new camshaft (not the first time either). That would not have been good if it were to run like that! Most machine shops will do a pretty good job cleaning stuff up, just make it a habit to check everything (like you did) and clean the parts when you need to.

The local guy here, Wade Hubbard has never done that to me. I get stuff back and it is sparkling clean even when unassembled. He still says "you might want to blast a little brake cleaner to make sure." If there is another local guy, might want to give him a shot. Not a good sign.

We run them through the parts washer after machining and it never fails once in awhile we'll still get a call, hey their was aluminum shavings when I blew out my ports. It's not a big deal.

periodically I get something back with shavings stuck somewhere, but I also clean everything (Again) after it comes back from the machine shop just to make sure. I also don't get them to assemble my stuff for a variety of reasons (easier to clean, don't usually drop everything off at the same time, etc. not a question really of competence or anything like that)

pretty normal, i have always has to clean my stuff after machining. they do a quick hot tank / chemical wash then they instructed me to was it in soapy watter and blow it all out. i was happy it wasnt greasy any more and i have all new machined surfaces.

Happens all the time here. I always have to blow shavings out

If you pick it up assembled i would assume that they should of cleaned it. If its unassembled they should clean it anyways but I would check anyways. Unless you specifically ask them not to clean it.

I've always done the cleaning myself...heck, I'd do it regardless. I love my machine shop guys, but they are not surgeons.

I make it a habit to check everything that goes into/on an engine for cleanliness. I just had to dig a munch of metal shavings out of the inside of a brand new camshaft (not the first time either). That would not have been good if it were to run like that! Most machine shops will do a pretty good job cleaning stuff up, just make it a habit to check everything (like you did) and clean the parts when you need to.
This is the norm. If assembling, it is your job to clean it.

The local guy here, Wade Hubbard has never done that to me. I get stuff back and it is sparkling clean even when unassembled. He still says "you might want to blast a little brake cleaner to make sure."
That's a rare find.

Heres the thing. Im from the southwest. I understand where you are coming from. Arguing your point isnt going to get you anywhere.

Best Case: It was in bad taste.
Worst Case: Militant Racist.
The problem stems from the fact that you cant see how "Juans Rebuilt Motor Shop - hablamos espanol" is offensive. The point of the matter is, why does language/race have anything to do with running a machine shop? In houston, a shop that is multi-lingual probably does quite well.
I agree.

Mods, thanks for getting rid of all of the bull. But I dont understand why the ACTUAL on topic parts of my posts get deleted, but the off topic argument gets "mostly" deleted? That's stupid.

Lets see if this one sticks :
Rebuild shops are turn and burn operations, often overlooking precision for quick completion of jobs.
Race shops extract every last horsepower by utilizing precision and tight tolerances, which consumes time.

Sloppy work should be assumed if sloppy parts are received. Precise work should be expected, if parts are spotless. In other words, if the machinist takes the time and extra care at the end, they probably took the time and cared the whole job.

Was it on a Friday or Monday?
Seems to me like someone doesn't like their job or have enough pride in their work.

I personally would call them and let them know and never go back there again.

Back