• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to get 240 reman head.

After reading the description, it looks like you have to send in a rebuildable core in order to get the 5 year warranty. It also says in big red letters, "Core Return Required". Their page does list a number to call, 818-409-9494, since it is unclear [at least to me anyway]what will happen if you don't return a rebuildable core.

When I had my first head rebuilt locally from a severe overheat, it was around $425.00. The 2nd, was $305 with an exhaust manifold stud replaced.

You could also place an ad in the wanted section here. You might get a better product for less if your head is BR'ed.

I've gotten a couple of heads from the Portland Head Rebuilders.

You should be able to have it milled at your local machine shop for less than that.

Pop the valves out and clean them up on a wire wheel. Then use some valve polishing compound to seal the valves back up. New seals and you're done.

The question is what's wrong with your head?

On the car I bought that had a blown HG and sat in a field for years I pulled the head and took it to the machine shop. It was like $200 for them to deck it, clean it, test it and do a valve seat. What's your reason for wanting a remanufactured one?

sorry. Beyond Repair

If it's in fact BRd... I'd still just get a junkyard head tbh and go the machine shop route...

To answer the question though... I don't know where to get a reman because I'm not sure I'd have ever considered it?

Had a 240 head milled for $125 including an inspection of mill surface & cam sills.
Cleaned it myself of which shop would've charged almost as much as for milling.

Last edited:
The question is what's wrong with your head?

On the car I bought that had a blown HG and sat in a field for years I pulled the head and took it to the machine shop. It was like $200 for them to deck it, clean it, test it and do a valve seat. What's your reason for wanting a remanufactured one?

Seized cam in head

Seized cam in head

Take the cam out? If the journals are legit bad then just get some other yard head... forget the reman'd stuff... B230's can't be that rare. There are bloody 531 heads in FS right now.

When I say take it out it's not that I don't believe you saying it's seized... I'm just wondering how that all transpires. The cam journals come completely off which means the cam would have to be welded to the dang thing to not come out? Seems crazy. What all happened to cause such a thing?

There is a seized cam service bulletin from Volvo to show the process of taking care of the problem. It even shows how to drill the oil feed passage so it provides more oil to the head.

Take the cam out? If the journals are legit bad then just get some other yard head... forget the reman'd stuff... B230's can't be that rare. There are bloody 531 heads in FS right now.

When I say take it out it's not that I don't believe you saying it's seized... I'm just wondering how that all transpires. The cam journals come completely off which means the cam would have to be welded to the dang thing to not come out? Seems crazy. What all happened to cause such a thing?

This is how I bought it. I'm unsure of what caused it, but the po told me it sat all winter.

There is a seized cam service bulletin from Volvo to show the process of taking care of the problem. It even shows how to drill the oil feed passage so it provides more oil to the head.

You have any links to said service bulletin?

The service bulletin stuff may be on line with the old k-jet stuff? I honestly don't know. I have only ever seen print versions of the old bulletins. Even in my old VADIS stuff Volvo left all that out. 240 stuff was only parts on VADIS. I bought a copy of the bulletin manual back in the 90s while it was still in print.

This is how I bought it. I'm unsure of what caused it, but the po told me it sat all winter.

I just swapped out a head that had a "tight cam".... it was badly warped due to the engine being run without a water pump belt!

Regarding machining a used head, I just had a cleanup cut put on my spare head by my local machinist.... they cut off .010" to restore flatness and surface condition, charged me $50 and that included tank cleaning it! The money is in valve angle grinding.... so it costs appropriately more.

Find a clean late 9 series engine, pull the boneyard head and have it tanked/cleanup cut. If you are going turbo, you can swap the exhaust valves from your donor to the new head.... that is the only difference in the 530 head between NA and turbo. Be sure to install the new valve seals on your intake valves so the engine won't "suck oil" in vacuum conditions.

Back