• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

no boost stops me reving

aussyvolvo

Will stalk for money
hi, I'm in canada for a few months, and I got a 740ti wagon, and for some reason it wont go on boost, and it seems to act as a rev limiter? I wont go over 2800-3500 (depending what gear)

this is my 1st turbo volvo, so I dont know what it is, whats causing it...

dose it have anything to do with why fuse number 16 melted to the fuse board?

thankyou, Phill

nothing?

dose anyone know any replacement turbos in British Columbia, or cheap ones people are willing to send? I don't want to have to upgrade the fuel system

what year volvo? what does it say the number 16 fuse is for the info is located on the back of the ashtray

might be a clogged cat if it is than thats one reason why its not boosting.

how many miles on the car you are talking about mine has 188,000 and the turbo is gone on my car(worn out)

Last edited:
yeah, people don't like me :p

its high milage, I think its 350,000km, and fuse 16 is for the heater fan, I was just wondering if there is some kind of correlation?

I would have thought the cat would have affected the power before the turbo as well, but its quite fine before

yeah, people don't like me :p

its high milage, I think its 350,000km, and fuse 16 is for the heater fan, I was just wondering if there is some kind of correlation?

I would have thought the cat would have affected the power before the turbo as well, but its quite fine before

I don't think the cat would affected power in, only out. Sounds like you have a clogged cat.

What year 740 so I can see what fuse 16 powers?

Probably clogged cat.

The EBR will become extreme once you open the throttle enough to want to boost. Thats why you feel a loss of power.

hmmm........
I got fed up trying to over take someone the other day, so I kept flooring it, the neadle on the boost gauge didnt go into the colored area. But it did slowly rev over time to 4000rpm.

I can't realy just pull the car apart at any time, because when I start on it, my fingers get too cold and I can't work properly. lol I'm just weak because I'm not used to this kind of cold lol

I will check my cat and try moving the impeller, but what is an EBR? electronic boost regulator? lol i have no idea (this is m 1st turbo volvo)

what kind of shape are your inter-cooler hoses in? i just replaced all of them on my car because they were spongy and oil soaked from being on there for so long.

all these hoses can be replaced fairly cheaply from fcpgroton.com

how many miles are on the car calculating your original post i would say about 217,000 miles on it?

the turbo might be worn out dude i have talked with allot of people from many different turbo rebuilding companys and they are of the same opinion that if a turbocharger is not boosting and you have ran down the checklist and checked things like exhaust --

no intake restrictions/checked vacume hoses etc.. then its more than likely on its way out.

the turbo on my car is the same thing its worn out not completely but its almost gone.

i got another turbocharger from the junkyard the other day for 100.00 you can more than likely get the turbo in your car rebuilt or just purchase another rebuilt one for say around 500.00 us dollars.

my 1st idea was fuel pressure or something like injectors, because it actualy forcably stops reving,

my plan is to check a few things tomorrow (btw, I'm in british columbia Canada atm)

and fuse 16 is as far as I can tell, only for the fan, this car is an 87

I'll get there, but I doubt that it's the cause though, because it then would still rev normaly.

I also dont think its a fuel problem, because the temp dosn't go up from running lean

Back