• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K Jet 77 Volvo 244 no Spark issue

whatshouldido

Hello all! Man I will l2embed pictures tonight once i return from work!

So I have a 1977 volov 244 BF21 with all OG K jet stuff, My friend had the car while I was away and I returned it had started running rough, no accelerating under load, and then finally stopped running!

So I have gotten the car back in my possession its been sitting for like a year :roll:

But been trying to get it to run, Its getting fuel all K - jet was rebuilt 2-3 years ago by a volvo tech so thats all good.

But no spark! Getting 12v from the coil, down the coil wire to the cap through the cap but it stops at the rotor so it wont pass to the wires and thus the plugs.

So I have been trying to test this and that but I have ruled it to what lays beneath the rotor, could anyone expand on the design of the internals of a 77 distributor? The ignition control seems to be getting power, but the wires to the hall sensor where clipped for some reason?

Just seeing if anyone knows how the rotor gets its ground on the distributor so it can pass the spark on to the wire!

If you know spark gets to the distributor cap but doesn't get to the spark plugs. Then use a flat screwdriver and pop off the clips and look inside the distributor cap. There is a carbon contact inside the top of the distributor cap that can fail. Then the spark isn't passed to the rotor to get to the plugs. Sometimes the rotor fails but usually the carbon contact is the problem.

If you know spark gets to the distributor cap but doesn't get to the spark plugs. Then use a flat screwdriver and pop off the clips and look inside the distributor cap. There is a carbon contact inside the top of the distributor cap that can fail. Then the spark isn't passed to the rotor to get to the plugs. Sometimes the rotor fails but usually the carbon contact is the problem.

yoo dl242 your always super active so thank you for hitting back, I should have mention plugs+wires + cap and rotor are all new!

No more buying parts and playing darts!

The car will put 12v from coil through coil wire into the cap, out the other end of the cap but will not let power go through the rotor, Im thinking it has something to do with the pins and ground wire below the cap and rotor the "primary ignition" because all of the secondary is new!

Use Bosch cap and rotor

Definitely would but sadly I am not cuz broke and wasnt an option at the time, but using a multimeter all the new AC delco crap checks to be in spec!

Brand new wires cap and rotor, and coil but everything gets 12v+ untill it gets to the rotor then it dies out

Definitely would but sadly I am not cuz broke and wasnt an option at the time, but using a multimeter all the new AC delco crap checks to be in spec!

Brand new wires cap and rotor, and coil but everything gets 12v+ untill it gets to the rotor then it dies out

Voltage at rotor should be extremely high, like 25,000v. You won't be able to measure with a multi meter, you can remove the coil wire from the cap, fix it approx 1/4" from a ground, like the intake manifold and crank the engine, you should see sparks. Rotor button passes this energy to the individual posts as it spins around. It gets the current from the spring loaded carbon button in the top of the distributor cap, it doesn't go to ground except through the spark plugs.

Why are you taking it apart?

All it does is DISTRIBUTE the spark. If it spins it’s fine
As mentioned above your continuity test isn’t enough to test cap and rotor

Buy Bosch throw it on there

https://youtu.be/1lZqsZq23pU

There’s no points in there DUDE. I’m about to throw the table in this thread

Last edited:
...but the wires to the hall sensor where clipped for some reason?

So the wires/connector coming out the side of the distributor have been clipped? If so, there is no hall signal going to the ignition module which means nothing to trigger the spark. Did they get broken during storage/tinkering since it was previously running? Find a greenbook for your car, or something close, and check the distributor pickup wiring to the ignition control box.

So the wires/connector coming out the side of the distributor have been clipped? If so, there is no hall signal going to the ignition module which means nothing to trigger the spark. Did they get broken during storage/tinkering since it was previously running? Find a greenbook for your car, or something close, and check the distributor pickup wiring to the ignition control box.

for some reason I thought he was getting spark out of coil

but that would do it

OP post some pictures

Back