• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Park brake cable woes

hessam69

Hi,

I cannot at all remove the park brake cables from my 240. It seems they are stuck inside the car near the holes in the floor. How else do you get them out?

Reason for removing: Removal of the complete rear axle including brakes

Thank you

Thanks for that, but I still cannot remove the cables from where they enter the holes in the floor. Must they be removed from inside the car?

Must they be removed from inside the car?

I haven't removed a emergency brake cable since 1990s, on a VW Rabbit

Pic A

Pic B

Pic C

Brake shoe kit with pics to be expanded.

Inside vehicle, cable would have to be unsecured, and following cable to rear axle, there may be clips holding them in place, which have to be removed.

At axle, one should be able to remove cable in some manner.

Is this enough info?

If you're swapping axles, just cut the 2 cables. There is a rubber grommet on the cables that needs to be removed before pulling them out. Have someone help you push the cables back inside car and when you pull cable back, you will see the rubber grommet. Slide the grommets off each cable and then attempt to pull cables out again.

It seems to me that it is impossible to change the park brake cables in a 240. On the rear axle, there are two plastic cable cover/clamp things that secure the cable to the axle. These are larger in size than the holes in the floor which the cables enter the cabin. They don't allow the cable to be removed from within them, and the cables don't come out of the holes in the floor on the inside of the cabin to remove the cables from the car.

How do I do this?

It seems to me that it is impossible to change the park brake cables in a 240.

This forum is down currently, but if you post in 240 section, there is a Volvo mechanic there who might respond.

I would suggest to be brief and to the point.

I would assume cable must be detached from parking lever, and pulled out

If a PM is sent to me with an email address, I could send the 1976 manual.

When I replaced my rear axle (due to whining diff), the salvage yard pulled one for me, and included the parking brake cables. I reused the original cables, but I think I remember seeing a hold down clamp behind the parking brake lever (???). The ends of the extra set of cables look like this:
parking-brake-cable-1.jpg

parking-brake-cable-2.jpg

One of the brass colored ferrules must have been left behind in the salvage yard car.

From inside the cabin, look where the cables enter and see if there's a clamp there. If not, they should just slide out (to under the car) once the adjusting nuts are removed. (This was from a Colorado open field car, so probably no rust around the cable entry area.)

Step 3 for removing the brake cable in the greenbook says:

Lift the front end of the rear seat cushion, fold away the floor mat and loosen the clamps holding the wire to the floor.

Have you done that?

Maybe I need to remove those brass coloured ferrules from the cables because I believe they're what's getting held up from removing the cables from the holes in the floor.

I got it figured out.

On bobxyz's second picture, you can see near the threaded end of one of the cables there is a zinc plated ferrule. On the other cable it is missing.

On my cables, this ferrule was black plastic and I had no choice but to cut it off. This ferrule is larger that the hole in the floor (either that or I couldn't get it lined up centre in the hole) and once I cut it, the cables came out. I still cannot understand how someone would be able to fit a new cable through this hole, maybe two people are needed, who knows.

Thanks to all who helped

Back