• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Which have a large diameter sways, wagons or sedans?

c

I am planning the purchase of a set of 25mm front and rear sways from IPD for my 740 turbo wagon. I was cosidering recycling the turbo wagon sways for my 95 940 NA sedan but, I can't remeber which has the larger sways. I'll try and remember to buy that micrometer. Anyone know off hand?

If the turbo wagon has no rear sway bar what type of improvement would be made by installing a rear sway from a sedan? Has anyone done this? Can the front sway stay the same?

Do you know what size you have on the front and what size you added to the rear? From what I understand Volvo was never very constant in what size sways they used. I am trying to find out what years where the largest used, something like 23mm.

For safety reasons Volvo has always prefered thinner swaybars on the rear end of station wagons. It is done to prevent understeer;
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/steering.html
If you have a heavy load the front end has lesser grip.
But if you know your car well, especially in slippery conditions you will enjoy as thick swaybars as possible. You can usually induce oversteer anyways by pushing the accelerator a bit while cornering.
I upgraded my 240 rear bar from 21mm to 25mm and it makes one helluva difference. I gave me a few scares though as it canges the whole caracter of the car, it becomes a bit "violent".

my 83 245 glt had a 23mm in the front and ~ a 16mm in the rear. the sedans definitely come with larger rear bars, i got one off of a diesel (20mm) and one off of a turbo sedan (22mm). currently the 22mm is on the rear of my wagon, and it definitely helps kick the rear end around when you want it to. up front i'm running the dual 23mm setup i posted pix of a while back. overall it rides pretty well, i just wish i had a turbo again.

im pretty sure that at anytime volvo did not go to a thinner rear bar to prevent understeer , in that situation it would give more understeer . The reason for differing sizes is to balance the suspension or roll resistance for the vehicles operating conditions . wagons have a smaller bar because they have stiffer springs for load carrying .

Anyway - stiff front - soft rear = understeer

Back