• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Turbo LS blah, blah, blah

After doing some quick research and consulting with some of my friends who are still in the business, it seems that you are correct. Thanks for the heads up. Based on what my friends said, I?ll also be switching to PPG as you suggest.

I'm partial to PPG products as well but all of the big names have good paint systems. Just choose one and stick with it from primer to clear coat.

I've been wanting to do, but avoiding task of the "buttcheek" delete on this car for a while, but I need to get things in primer, so I need to get the metal work finished ASAP. Pretty straight forward process, other than the battery mounts that I had previously welded in on the passenger side. Required some annoying cutting and grinding in a very tight spot, but I'm glad that it's done. I have been going back and forth about shaving the drip rails on this car, but I think I've decided to keep them in the name of keeping the vintage look of the car. Maybe I'll change my mind last minute....

VoTxLJbl.jpg

n6jH9Kwl.jpg

35SYXF7l.jpg

jRzwzAgl.jpg

5AzONpSl.jpg

WedLfCBl.jpg

MoL82Ywl.jpg

9Sr3Y07l.jpg

Otherwise, Lots more grinding, paint stripping and sanding. My list of rubber and plastic items that need to be replaced keeps growing. I'm thankful for a rust free car, but the soft parts are going to nickel and dime me to death.

Curious to see how this butt cheek removal turns out as I just picked up a 79 242 GT that needs a full restoration.

I don't like the butt cheek removal but understand why people do it. Nice work though.

The left one was rusted where the spare tire was contacting the sheet metal, and since this car will never carry a spare tire in the trunk again, I have no motivation to retain the bulges. I know some people like the look, and some people don't. I personally think the butt cheeks are ugly and look like an afterthought, but to each his own. On my 242GT, I'll probably leave them when I finally do the restoration, but I have more interest in keeping that car original in appearance that I do this car.

I hear ya, I have a hard time giving up the storage room though. Can fit all kinds of stuff in those.

I totally understand that. On the random grocery shopping trip, I used to put a gallon of milk or laundry detergent in this spot. For this car though, I think it's safe to say I threw trunk utility out the window when I mounted a battery, surge tank, and flex fuel sensor back there.

I put the surge tank in the original battery location. I do plan on putting the battery and a ton of stereo gear back there though so I'll want every square inch I can save haha.

Like I said, nice work! Interesting to keep the flex fuel feature.

Yeah I've been getting e85 for more than a dollar less than 93. Even with the drop in mileage it's cheaper overall

Yeah I've been getting e85 for more than a dollar less than 93. Even with the drop in mileage it's cheaper overall

I only saw about a 2mpg difference in my daily commute (mostly highway). It was definitely cheaper. Luckily I have an E85 station less than a mile from home

Back